Quantcast

Anyone into growing their own vegi's?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
This year we created an 8 x 12 garden in the backyard... dug up all the grass, refilled with topsoil and manure, blocked out all the grass. We planted Tomatoes, Squash, garlic, green onions, okra, snap peas, grean beans, carrots... the works.

We had 7 squash plants that were producing tons of squash. Today I went out and every one of them look all crazy and deformed. Leaves are all strange and freaky looking. Did some my research and found out that they have a virus called mosaic that is spread by this beetle that we have tons of. I had to uproot all but one of them. I was so enjoying eating several fresh squash per week. Now we have to start all over :(

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
We grow our own herbs, had a bumper fennel crop last year, this year the coriander has just gone crazy.

If we had more space I'd love to grow more veg.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
I have tomatoes (cherry, beef stake, and celebrities), zucchini, jalopeno, strawberries, crook neck squash, lemon cuccumbers, and bell peppers. I did the same with the cow crap and top soil. Started from small plants, and added miricle grow tomato food for the first month. All of the plants took off like mad, tomatoes are almost up to roof level. All have produced veg & fruit. I noticed that my crook neck and zucchini are producing some deformed, and rotten on the ends squash...The Zucchini leaves have some faded ash color spots. Did some reading - very important to water from the ground under the leaves, to avoid splash up on the leaves. Splash up can cause some kind of desease to the plants (forgot what it was called?) Anyway, I stopped spraying the plants with a hose, and use a watering can - it did make a difference. Yeah, gardens rule! I'll be making fresh salsa soon.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
we scaled back our garden this year. all we have growing is maters & herbs.

last year we had chilis galore (all kinds), maters out our ass, yard beans/aspargaus beans, & more herbs. our squash, zukes & bellpeppers didnt make it.

lots of work but it is fun.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Last spring my wife and I planted a vegi & herb garden. Barely anything grew and that which did looked pretty gruesome. This year we didn't have time to plant but to our surprise some herbs and strawberries grew. Funny thing is, we never planted strawberries! My wife and daughter ate em though and said they were good.

-ska todd

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TN said:
we scaled back our garden this year. all we have growing is maters & herbs.

last year we had chilis galore (all kinds), maters out our ass, yard beans/aspargaus beans, & more herbs. our squash, zukes & bellpeppers didnt make it.

lots of work but it is fun.
Tomatoes and herbs definitely pack the most bang for the buck when it comes to gardening. :thumb:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
We got cukes, arugula, 'maters, and several herbs. 2 kinds of basil, cilantro, plus the thyme, rosemary, and sage from last year.

The 'maters are doing good so far. There's a bunch of thumbsized greenies on there already. Last years 'maters got the blight and died. The one's that lived tasted worse than store-bought. Very weird. This year I planted them in a 10 gallon muck bucket instead of the garden and I'm hoping that whatever killed lasted year's crop stays away!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife has a book called "Carrots Love Tomatoes : Secrets of Companion Planting" that helps her lay out our garden every year. By planting certain plants or flowers with others, you get better production plus you can keep bugs and stuff away without using poisons.

Right now I have Habs, Tai Peppers, Sweet Bells, Walla Wallas, and 2 small Caribbean Reds. My wife has a bunch of snap peas, bush beans, lettuce, chard, mellons, and I don't know what else. We also have a ton herbs planted around our blueberries and apple trees, she also uses some herbs in the front yard for landscape (but we eat that too).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
mike67 said:
I have tomatoes (cherry, beef stake, and celebrities), zucchini, jalopeno, strawberries, crook neck squash, lemon cuccumbers, and bell peppers. I did the same with the cow crap and top soil. Started from small plants, and added miricle grow tomato food for the first month. All of the plants took off like mad, tomatoes are almost up to roof level. All have produced veg & fruit. I noticed that my crook neck and zucchini are producing some deformed, and rotten on the ends squash...The Zucchini leaves have some faded ash color spots. Did some reading - very important to water from the ground under the leaves, to avoid splash up on the leaves. Splash up can cause some kind of desease to the plants (forgot what it was called?) Anyway, I stopped spraying the plants with a hose, and use a watering can - it did make a difference. Yeah, gardens rule! I'll be making fresh salsa soon.
Yep, deformed spotted leaves, odd looking fruit. I have read that it is a virus that is spread by the striped cucumber beetle (which are all over our garden, small black bug with yellow stripes down its back). I have heard though that it is best to water under the leaves... mainly so if you use seven it doesn't wash it off the parts of the plants that the beetles like to eat.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
johnbryanpeters said:
Brussel sprouts, lettuce, tomatos, eggplants, potatos, various herbs, celery, broccoli...

If, that is, I can fend off the woodchucks.

Brussels frikkin rule the planet.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I've been an organic gardener for about 10 years. No fertilizers, pesticides or chemicals of any kind. I'm on a constant search for suppliers of cow, horse and chicken manure. I bag all my grass clippings and have a couple loads of wood chips dumped in my yard every year. My kids know what to put in the compost pile and what not too (coffee grounds, eggshells, veggie waste but no greases, fats or bones) There is always some seeds being started in my south facing window as we rotate things in and out of our year round garden constantly. This year I have upside down maters, redskin taters ina barrel and completely squash bug free squash thanks to the miracle that is floating row cover. I also grow mass quantites of flowers as companions to my veggies. Nasturtiums and pot marigolds ward off tons of bugs. I fenced my 20 x 30 garden in this spring and that has opened up a world of options as far as growing much of my stuff vertically...cukes, cantalopes, pole beans and maters all use the fencing for support and free up a lot of space in the actual garden.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Hot Pepper man here. Chilis, tabascos, anaheim chilis, seranos, halepenos, cayennes and orange habaneros, yes I can eat an orange habanero whole, no water. I Love hot! :redhot: Keeps you regular. End of season, I cut all of them in half, put them on paper plates in my basement and dry them out. Then around December, I put them into a coffee mill and powderize them so I can shake chillis, habaneros, seranos on my food. Mmmmmm.

Bydaway, if THIS is mozzerella, I've had this at Ruth Chris Steak house. GREAT appetizer. I'd love to know the sauce though.

Nathan Cloud

Chimp
Jun 27, 2005
Burlington, CT
We have a cilantro, basil, green onions and rosemary kickin.

I am also giving that whole growing upside down tomatoes thing a try - and I must say they are kicking a$$!. Have a few tomato plants in the ground as well, but I am sure I will nelgect them and they will die.