Quantcast

Anyone know about r/c planes and/or aerodynamics?

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Well, my spring break is right around the corner and I've finally decided on what my project for the off-time will be. I just bought a couple of those tiny r/c cars (something like this: http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/89/b9/70_1.JPG) with the intention of taking them apart and creating a small plane (two, since I will have two cars). Basically, this is what I'm aiming for, plus or minus: http://www.plantraco.com/hobbies/product_butterfly.html.

So, moving on to materials: I have access to just about anything I will need -- a graphite rod for the fuselage, and either some sort of foam or balsa for the wings/tail. I plan on removing the receiver, motor, battery, and perhaps the steering mechanism from the car for the rest of the parts.

Here's the plan: use the motor to power the prop (duh) -- I may gear it differently, depending on how fast/powerful the motor is. Then, take (or make) the steering mechanism (copper coil on either side of a piece of steel/iron) and attach it to the rudder.

What I need help with:

Firstly, the steering mechanism. I plan on only using the rudder for left/right direction changes, but I need to make sure the whole setup is solid. I plan on using an electromagnet on either side of a piece of steel/iron that will be switched on or off to angle the rudder (I will have some sort of spring to center the rudder when both magnets are turned off). This will result in an on/off characteristic -- there won't be any gradual control. The setup that is already in the car is weak -- I doubt it will be strong enough to counteract the air resistance against the rudder. This means I will probably end up having to make one. I know basically what to do, but maybe someone has some ideas as to making a fairly strong electromagnet without heavy weight (and if possible, little power consumption).

Next, I need to work on the flying characteristics. I know what I want, but I don't know how to translate it into real life. Since the motor will be like the rudder (on/off), I don't have a way to control speed. Since the radio has only two channels (motor and rudder), I won't be able to have elevators, so what I want to do is make the plane climb while under power and glide as much as it can while not under power. What I need to know is how to make that possible. I had a couple of ideas, but I have absolutely no clue as to whether or not they will work.

Idea 1: Tilt the prop at an angle so when under power it'll rise, while not under power it'll glide.

Idea 2: adjust the angle of the wing to achieve the same effect.

Idea 3: adjust the angle of the tail to achieve the same effect.

For anyone who knows, do any of these ideas appear to be on the right track? Do you have any other ideas?

All input is appreciated, for sure. It seems to be within the realm of possibility, but I can't know for sure yet. Thanks in advance.