Quantcast

Anyone know anything about Great Falls State park

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
I was talking with a buddy at work today, and he says he sees people riding up there all the time when he flies over the park. Does anyone know if there is anything good to ride up there or what?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
vogey40 said:
So its nothing like the shed?
Nope.

There really isn't any real riding there per se unless you consider riding along highway-width gravel paths exciting. I don't think bikes are allowed on any of the trails running up on the hillside above the river within Great Falls NP. I've seen bikes on the trail that runs parallel to the Potomac leading down to Riverbend State Park but no real riding within Great Falls proper.

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
DamienC said:
Nope.

There really isn't any real riding there per se unless you consider riding along highway-width gravel paths exciting. I don't think bikes are allowed on any of the trails running up on the hillside above the river within Great Falls NP. I've seen bikes on the trail that runs parallel to the Potomac leading down to Riverbend State Park but no real riding within Great Falls proper.

That doesnt sound too exciting at all. Thanks. Things must look a lot different when your flying over it in a helicopter.

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
Up the river a bit there an area called Seneca (the next area up river past Riverbend) which actually has excellent XC riding, the only problem is you have to poach because ridinging is not allowed, only horses. But there's about 10 miles of good single track and the most that ever happened to me was being yelled at by some elitist equestrians.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
It's only legal to ride the crushed gravel paths at Great Falls. There is an abundance of incredible rocks on which it is illegal to ride trials on wednesdays at 6PM...in the warmer months.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
A majority of the trails worth riding at GF were closed several years ago due to "fragile ecosystem," otherwise known as "we hate mtn bikers and heard this excuse worked elsewhere."