Quantcast

anyone know anything about Kayaks ?

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
it ain't a bad yak for a bike from 99' It would depend on the year of the kayak, but If I could trade a 7 year old bike for any kayak I'd be happy.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well it all depends on what you are going to be using afformentioned kayak for.

its a good beginner flatwater boat used primarily for sea kayaking and kickin it on the lake. supposedly is very stable (though not stable enough to stand up and flyfish from)easy to roll and durable.

however with that boat you have a tendancy to get lots of bow spray when you get in the chop.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
it is also discontinued but you should be able to retrofit accessories from their other boats. the beauty of kayak outfitting is that if you screw up a hole just shave a little plastic off and melt it into the hole and its good as new.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
if you have flat water around and arent riding the bike then trad eon up. be good for kickin it around in the summer.

splat

Nam I am
Thanks Biggins! you were the one I was hoping would respond !

First email I got from the guy he sounded a little desperate
I am movind very soon and i need to get rid of my kayak before I go bc I can not use it where I am going.
now he is getting a little picky
I will take a trade of the higher end bike with the best components. it has to be working and tuned. I want nothing to be wrong or not working and I also do not want to have to change a part after I buy it anytime soon.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
splat said:
Thanks Biggins! you were the one I was hoping would respond !

First email I got from the guy he sounded a little desperate

now he is getting a little picky
well ya know i am usually not helpfull at all but i do try sometimes.

i mean, the boat looks immaculate in th epic. is he also including a paddle, skirt and pfd? if so then i say trade him. get the bike tuned and get rid of it.

you can fish from that 'yak you just dont want to do it standing up.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
you could actually run that boat safely in easy class II whitewater as well if you are feeling a little frisky.

splat

Nam I am
No skirt , No paddle , no Pfd , Since I told him about both My Enduro ( which i told him was not together , which it is not ) and My Hard tail rockhopper, which works quite well. I will offer him the rock hopper and go from there.

I don't fish, just cruise around the lakes, canals and may ber a easy river or 2. I already have 2 Kayaks , an 11 ft Peception sierra which has a huge cockpit so one of the kids can sit in it with me , and a 12 Foot Prijon river kayak of my wifes ( that i can not even fit in ) got that one for $40 at a garage sale last year.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i guess the real question would be are you going to use the bike?if not how much is it worth?

splat

Nam I am
That is what i am thinking , the Hardtail I was planning on selling I was figuring 300 350 for it . the enduro I was also planning on getting rid of , but was going to part that one out , because I'm going to use some ofthe parts ( like the brakes , handlebars, drive train) for my Sons Bike.

So I will offer the Hardtail in good running condition or the Enduro frame and fork, if he doesn't like it , oh well I will live.

the question is how good of an Ice breaker is it :D ( me during a blizzard this past winter. )

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Dude...........where's your Pfd, helmet and skirt?????????

Jeez.................

Would you bike without your helmet? I think not!

You are setting a bad example man.............................

BTW...............whitewater kayaking is where it's at! Rec boating is just borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring!

!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm not postive but I think kidwoo has that same or similar wilderness system boat. Might be worth PM'ing him of maybe he'll see this.

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
American Canoe Club gives canoe/kayak schools all over the US in both Rec and Whitewater disiplines.......I suggest you take a class and learn some safety basics! Yikes............this picture really scares the Hell out of me........if I were you wife and kids no way would I paddle with you.................

Remember.........safety, safety, safety............

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
splat said:
me taking stupid chances during a blizzard this past winter. )
:mumble:

Here is the proper attire for winter kayaking... note the helmet, pfd, skirt, and paddle jacket.......

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Go to Boatertalk.com...........it's that paddler's version of Ridemonkey..........they have an extensive buy/sell pages and that will give you an idea what the boat is currently worth across the country.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
MizN8 said:

Jeez.................

BTW...............whitewater kayaking is where it's at! Rec boating is just borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring!

!
Did you really need 4 posts? It looks like he's just messing around and doesn't need all that stuff.

I have a WaveSport XXX and it's one hell of a fun boat.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I have a couple of wilderness systems pamlico 120's and they are o.k. for the lake and easy rivers. They are recrecrational kayaks, so not really suitable for anything above class II, well made but fairly basic.

splat

Nam I am
MizN8 said:

Jeez.................

!
that creek is 2 feet deep at the deepest point, and it is like 50 yards from My house. Do you always wear you helmet when you are just riding around in your drive way ?

Also I don't White water, just local lakes , canals and some easy rivers. I am wearing a PFD we really out on water.

also once the wife and I got dragged into a Canoe/Kayak Race. 2 Mile race around a local lake. she won her division. ( uncontested ) Me I came in 2nd , going up against an Olymipian from Brazil ( he was like shot out of a cannon! )

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
splat said:
that creek is 2 feet deep at the deepest point, and it is like 50 yards from My house. Do you always wear you helmet when you are just riding around in your drive way ?

Also I don't White water, just local lakes , canals and some easy rivers. I am wearing a PFD we really out on water.

Ah... well none of that was obvious from your photo Splat.

Serious kayakers are are extemely safety concious and MizN8 is no exception. People have been known to drown in less 2_ft of water because they didn't think anything would happen to them. And in winter conditions, hypothremia is a very real risk should you have to take a swim.

MizN8 understood you to be a kayak n00b based on the questions you were asking so she was concerned for your safety if that was how you though you should be equiped to go boating.

She's pretty knowlegable about 'yakin since she paddled several times a week when she lived in Arkansas.

splat

Nam I am
N8 said:
Ah... well none of that was obvious from your photo Splat.

Serious kayakers are are extemely safety concious and MizN8 is no exception. People have been known to drown in less 2_ft of water because they didn't think anything would happen to them. And in winter conditions, hypothremia is a very real risk should you have to take a swim.

MizN8 understood you to be a kayak n00b based on the questions you were asking so she was concerned for your safety if that was how you though you should be equiped to go boating.

She's pretty knowlegable about 'yakin since she paddled several times a week when she lived in Arkansas.

Yes , But ask questions before Attcking. How how do you know how serious a Paddler I am ? I do have 3 Kayaks. and WW kayaks are a whole different ball of wax , from touring Kayaks. and She should have been albe to tell quite easily that niether of the pictured Kayaks are of the white water variety.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
splat said:
Yes , But ask questions before Attcking. How how do you know how serious a Paddler I am ? I do have 3 Kayaks. and WW kayaks are a whole different ball of wax , from touring Kayaks. and She should have been albe to tell quite easily that niether of the pictured Kayaks are of the white water variety.

Peeps drown on flat water in more boat than a kayak all the time.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
splat said:

Again....remember who we're dealing with.....

J

JRB

splat said:
very true , buts its irrelevant. your not comparing teh same thing.

so then this should help stir it up some more. between the Ice andthe fact he was scrapping the bottom , he wasn't moving too fast.

My son the same day :D

You are a horrible person. You should kill yourself since N8 and the Mrs. don't agree with you.