Quantcast

Anyone know anything about Nissan X-Trail?

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
In my continuing search for a small, off-road capable, reliable SUV I ran across a Nissan X-Trail the other day. I'd never seen one before and it had Mexico plates so I was curious. Reading briefly about it online it looks like it's a nice alternative to the Xterra or Pathfinder, without being ungodly big (I live in a really dense city and smaller is gooder).

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's available in the US (i think a bad decision if it really is what they say). Does anyone know anything about importing cars from Canada or elsewhere if the model isn't available here? Could Nissan repair it if it's not sold here but shares common parts/platform? Anyone in CA/Mex/anywhere else know anything about this car?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
what happened to the prius plan? just get something fwd and buy chains for your ski excursions. 4wd is not worth it. i make an effort to go off-roading and still use my pathfinder 99+% on-road in terms of absolute mileage.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Toshi said:
i make an effort to go off-roading and still use my pathfinder 99+% on-road in terms of absolute mileage.
That's kind of misleading though. I drive 160miles to go off-roading (about 2 hours travel time), spend roughly 8 hours on the trail to go a total of 8 miles, then drive 160 miles home.

So I spent 8 hours off-road, but only went 8 miles compared to 4 hours and 160 miles. Granted I do that about once a month during the summer, so in my case, your point is backed up... but it is kind of misleading.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Toshi said:
ski excursions
So is this snow driving, fireroad driving, or real offroading we're talking about here?

(I can hear the call of the wild Subaru in the distance...)

MD

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
MikeD said:
So is this snow driving, fireroad driving, or real offroading we're talking about here?

(I can hear the call of the wild Subaru in the distance...)

MD
This is snow driving in winter and fireroad driving (of the sort we have in NM where "road" is a farily loose term) in summer. I don't envision any serious offroading or mudding. Subaru is definitely an option but most of the ones I've tried have felt really underpowered (excepting my bud's WRX, which doesn't really fit the other things that I want).

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Barbaton said:
This is snow driving in winter and fireroad driving (of the sort we have in NM where "road" is a farily loose term) in summer. I don't envision any serious offroading or mudding. Subaru is definitely an option but most of the ones I've tried have felt really underpowered (excepting my bud's WRX, which doesn't really fit the other things that I want).
Did you look at the 05s? The turbo 4-cyl 2.5L (bigger than the standard WRX engine, based on the STi plant, and fast as hell) is available on fullsize Outbacks, Foresters, and Bajas, and they have the 6cyl option on the Outback as well.

I have an impreza outback sport (little outback wagon) with the normally-aspirated 2.5L, and I find it's plenty punchy around town, and goes 80mph on the freeway easily, so I don't demand much more than that...

MD

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MikeD said:
Did you look at the 05s? The turbo 4-cyl 2.5L (bigger than the standard WRX engine, based on the STi plant, and fast as hell) is available on fullsize Outbacks, Foresters, and Bajas, and they have the 6cyl option on the Outback as well.
I've ridden in the 2.5T Outback. It friggin' hauls balls. Expensive, though :think:

-S.S.-

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Barbaton said:
This is snow driving in winter and fireroad driving (of the sort we have in NM where "road" is a farily loose term) in summer. I don't envision any serious offroading or mudding.).
If you like "fast" cars, a non-turbo Subaru at altitude is a sufferfest. With that said, they're perfect for what you want to do. My wife and I used to exclusively drive NM forest service roads looking for hot springs. Our subarus, ranging from a 79 4x4 wagon to an early legacy outback, always got the job but without excitement. The only downfall is limited cargo capacity (both space and power), if thats a concern. I'd also be reluctant to bang one of the new expensive turbos models down a rough road (edit: such as a rough, Western state fire road. Spare me the "best WRC car" argument).

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
MikeD said:

I have an impreza outback sport (little outback wagon) with the normally-aspirated 2.5L, and I find it's plenty punchy around town, and goes 80mph on the freeway easily, so I don't demand much more than that...

MD
Glad to hear they're working on the power. I'll check it out. I'm a little ambivalant about the longevity of turbos but maybe that's improved as well.

While we're on the subject, I recently took a ski trip in a TDI Jetta wagon belonging to a friend. That was a nice little car and did really well on the ice sheet we encountered in Santa Fe, as we grinned at the half dozen cars that had slid off the road. Apparently it gets 45mpg, which isn't too shabby either.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
You should get a minivan........ :D

-S.S.-
i should. on the other hand, i was given this car basically by my parents, and i'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Barbaton said:
Glad to hear they're working on the power. I'll check it out. I'm a little ambivalant about the longevity of turbos but maybe that's improved as well.

While we're on the subject, I recently took a ski trip in a TDI Jetta wagon belonging to a friend. That was a nice little car and did really well on the ice sheet we encountered in Santa Fe, as we grinned at the half dozen cars that had slid off the road. Apparently it gets 45mpg, which isn't too shabby either.
TDIs are really sweet. My friend just got one used; they're not for sale new in Cali anymore, b/c of emissions. Gimmie a break...it's amazing that you can't buy a 50 mpg TDI, but the number of big rigs is ever increasing and you can still buy a diesel pickup.

Get the Tourreg...10 cyl diesel 4x4 with mpg in the 20s...mmmmmmmm...