Quantcast

anyone know anything about Schwinn World Sport road bike?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I noticed today someone down the street had a Schwinn World Sport at the curb - free to take. I gave it a quick lookover, and it seems to be in decent shape... needs a tuneup desperately, but no rust, dents, cracks, etc.

I'm looking for a road bike, and while this is not my first choice, the price can't be beat. It should be good enough to get me going on a road bike, right? At least enough to see how much I'm going to ride it.

Or are they a piece of junk?

I have no idea how old it is. Any guesses about it? If it's rideable, it's worth something, right? If not, I can throw it away just as well as anyone else.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
It's free? I'd grab it up. At the very least you have a grocery/commuter bike, at the best you have a decent road bike to start out and train on.

I started ripping around on the streets on a 1970's Nishiki that weighs more than my beefed up hardtail. It worked fine for getting out and learning how to handle a road bike, plus it was a lot of fun. Bunnyhoping that bike is a b*itch though.

Grab it, tune it up if it needs it(probably), but my idea is...free road bike, you need a road bike, why not? It was a decent bike in it's day, it's probably still got some mile left on it.

The Ito

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
uhh, if the frame was even close to fitting you, you should've grabbed it on the spot.

I think that's a steel frame... had one a long time ago. And it's quite solid if memory serves.

Go grab it! Clean it up, get it working, ride it for a bit, then donate it to a local foster home or something.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by LordOpie

then donate it to a local foster home or something.
Or smash the frame into pieces while the kids are watching. hahahahah. little foster bastards.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
The World Sport that I knew anything about was back in the late 80s. But, it was an entry level roady. Steel frame, heavy parts and 700x25 or 28 tires. i.e. indestructible! But, that's what a friend of mine used to race a bit on. He put some decent wheels on it and a couple other new parts. Snag that thing up and get some good miles out of it. When you get a new lightweight roady turn the supersport into a grocery getter. Considering the bike is on the curb with the trash it probably deserves some good miles put on it, the previous owner probably didn't do it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by LordOpie
yes, but you've got enough road bikes. Now, if it was a gay tea pot, you'd've been all over it :D
Bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Classic!!

borgward

Chimp
Sep 26, 2021
I got one last fall. 12 Speed. Late 80's? How much does it weigh? Decent bike for light exercise and joy riding. Beats speed Raleigh I had been using.