Quantcast

Anyone know anything about toilets?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So yeah....I have no experience with these fancy-pants low flow toilets. For some reason, the tank is draining over night. The float is not triggering to refill it. If I push the lever, the mechanism does it's thing, and the tank refills. At least it will flush, but obviously I have to wait for the tank to refill itself.

I'm guessing I should just replace the whole mechanism inside? I've done it on the older style with the horizontal float arm thingy. But this doesn't have that.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
That is one ugly toilet. I have a low-flow, but it looks normal.

You have two problems. If the tank is draining overnight, the seal at the bottom of the tank is bad. Drain the toilet, take out the seal, take it to the hardware store and buy a new one.

If the tank is not refilling, then your float mechanism is bad. You can trouble shoot it, or just replace it.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
It looks like you'd have to sit on that thing sideways to take a poop without having your asscheeks go numb.

Yeah it's pretty weird....it's tiny...well THEY because I have the same one in my powder room.

But I met the seller on Sat. for the first time. He's like 6'5". My wife and I are mystified how he was ever able to use it.

They are perfect for my daughters because they are so low.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I had the same problem recently and I replaced the everything because it was so cheap (I think I paid $10 for a kit).

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
That is one ugly toilet. I have a low-flow, but it looks normal.

You have two problems. If the tank is draining overnight, the seal at the bottom of the tank is bad. Drain the toilet, take out the seal, take it to the hardware store and buy a new one.

If the tank is not refilling, then your float mechanism is bad. You can trouble shoot it, or just replace it.
I definitely wouldn't have chosen them myself.

But yeah. what you said is what I figured. I haven't had the chance to really examine the mechanism yet. I was just wondering if the whole mechanism was one piece, that you have to just remove an replace, or if you actually can repair it....

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
I'm not positive but I would guess that the flapper valve isnt making a good seal with the inside of the toilet tank. Try wiggling the flush lever one night before you sleep and see if that helps the flapper to seat. If not, they are a pretty cheap and easy fix. You can either replace the whole assembly (which may be the way to go if the parts inside are non standard (which it seems all of them are)) or try and find just the flapper valve. It's the weird rubber shaped thing centered within the tank that swings down (usually pivoting on two ears). Good luck

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yup, all signs point to an upper deck, but you'd probably notice the smell. Maybe you smell a lot anyway.

Fact: Mandatory implementation of low-flow toilets is an early sign of a failing economy.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Once you get that in order, you can get down to the business of finally trying out your super cool RC helicopter. Jerk.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
drop some dye into the tank, if you see it in the bowl, then the tank is leaking into the bowl -- if not, then it's more likely that the seal below the bowl is bad...