Quantcast

Anyone know of a good bike hanger?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Ok, so my new place is quite small and space is at a minimum. My ceiling are fairly tall however. Thing is, they're not as tall as I'd like and most of the bike hanging devices I've seen, including just regular hooks that hang the bike by the rims aren't necessarily going to keep my bikes out of the way as much as I'd like.

Does anyone know of a company that makes a bike hanger that will hang the bikes horizontaly (like flat-ish against the ceiling)? Picture a bike hanging by hooks from the rims, but then turn the bike up and parrallel to the ceiling. Does that make any sense?

I'd be willing to make one if somebody has a design they think would work. It's always easier to just buy one tho with my schedule.

Thanks.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by BikeGeek

Personally, I'd get rid of some furniture to make room for the bikes, but that's just me. :D
me too:) dinette area:

(good ideal but put another pulley/eyelet close to the wall to make the make the rope flush with the ceiling and flush with the wall.)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Let's see your brilliant idea Miss Smarty Pants!

:p

Personally, I'd get rid of some furniture to make room for the bikes, but that's just me. :D
I just thought the picture thingie was funny, the pulley system is actually a good idea I guess if you're cramped for space. I've seen that nashbar actually sells those, but you one could just as easily be rigged.

Oh, and that's Mrs. to you!:p

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Sorry Heidi. :D

I actually heard my Gramma giving that advice to my sister! Mom gave her hell. :)
I never HAD to be given that speech! Dinner and drinks were always rather expensive.:p

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

LOL!

The funny thing is that my sister was only 12 at the time. :eek:
Kids these days!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yeah, but grandmas are always weird. I got yelled at for leaving some pennies in the center console of my car..."People will break in JUST to steal those! You can't leave them there, put them in a safe place!"

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Heidi

Kids these days!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yeah, but grandmas are always weird. I got yelled at for leaving some pennies in the center console of my car..."People will break in JUST to steal those! You can't leave them there, put them in a safe place!"
LMAO! Grammas are great!

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
I have the rack from Performance that mounts floor to ceiling. I've been pretty happy with it. You can get hooks for the back side to hang 4 bikes if needed. It doesn't stick out very far from the wall (just enough to let the bars hang straight).

K

kitchenware

If you're looking at Performance racks, I'd suggest building your own. If you have access to some woodworking stuff, you can do it nicer, more sturdy for half the cost.

Wood is cheap and minimal skills are required for this type of project. Besides, then you could say you built it yourself.

K

kitchenware

Originally posted by SpasticJack
I have the rack from Performance that mounts floor to ceiling. I've been pretty happy with it. You can get hooks for the back side to hang 4 bikes if needed. It doesn't stick out very far from the wall (just enough to let the bars hang straight).
While we're on that subject... Those (if it's the ones I think you're refering to) aren't all that stable with bikes on the other side. Pretty good for the two on one side, but I've seen one with four bikes on it and it made me nervous to have mine NEAR it. ;)