Quantcast

Anyone know of a good notebook for around a grand???

J

JRB

Things I think I want -

80 gig disc
Pentium M or equivalent
wireless card
at least 512 mem, but would like a gig

I am leaning towards HP. Are they as decent as Compaq was??? Gateways worth looking at??? How about a Vaio???

Not at all interested in Dell.

Edit - max is $1250.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
loco said:
Things I think I want -

80 gig disc
Pentium M or equivalent
wireless card
at least 512 mem, but would like a gig

I am leaning towards HP. Are they as decent as Compaq was??? Gateways worth looking at??? How about a Vaio???

Edit - max is $1250.
Why no Dell? They usually have the best deals, especially at the Dell outlet website.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
NEW! DELL INSPIRON 6000 DEDICATED GRAPHICS LAPTOP
$997.00

Specifications
Notebook CPU Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Notebook LCD Panel 15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel
Notebook Hard Drive 80GB Hard Drive
Notebook CD/DVD/CDRW 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability
Memory 512MB DDR2 PC2-4200 MEMORY
Notebook Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Notebook Video Card 128MB DDR ATI"s MOBILITY RADEON X300 PCI EXPRESS x16 Graphics
Notebook Networking Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Notebook - Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home (Operating System)
Warranty - Dell DELL WARRANTY 1 Year On-site Economy Plan

<edit> for $90 you can get the 80WHr battery too.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
loco said:
How about a Vaio???

I've had good experiences with Dell, Toshiba, and IBM. Having said that, Toshiba and IBM are pricey, and Dell you're not interested in.

Stay away from Sony. Steaming piles of poo. Yuck...just don't.

I've heard good things about Fujitsu, but I've never used one.

J

JRB

Everyone I know has had horrible service from Dell when issues came up. After my fiasco with Nissan, I just can't see me signing up for a Dell. I have a Lattitude at work and don't care for it. I had a Toshiba at the last job, but can't find a decent one with XP Pro on it. My HP Pavillion is nearly 6 years old (866 mHz) and I have had decent luck. It had ME on it, and that sucked. Support helped several times, but I just put XP pro on it. I have a copy to use, but don't want to uninstall the desktop to use it now. I kind of want something that is ready to go right now.

I am kind of thinking about this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7625965&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01174&id=1130986342746

It's $900 right now.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That seems like a cool deal. I have had great luck with Dell and even better luck with IBM, but you won't find an IBM for under a grand.

I have never cared for HP/Compaq, but that's me.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Everyone I know has had horrible service from Dell when issues came up. After my fiasco with Nissan, I just can't see me signing up for a Dell. I have a Lattitude at work and don't care for it. I had a Toshiba at the last job, but can't find a decent one with XP Pro on it. My HP Pavillion is nearly 6 years old (866 mHz) and I have had decent luck. It had ME on it, and that sucked. Support helped several times, but I just put XP pro on it. I have a copy to use, but don't want to uninstall the desktop to use it now. I kind of want something that is ready to go right now.

I am kind of thinking about this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7625965&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01174&id=1130986342746

It's $900 right now.
I generally reload the OS as soon as I get a laptop. I don't care for all the crap the manufacturer puts on. I have (legal) copies of XP pro if you need one.

Dell CS sucks, but the laptops seem to be fairly solid (so far).

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, but Kyle works at Dell.....a PM to him and he'll give all the info you'll need if a problem arises.

J

JRB

Radarr said:
Are you looking for good mobility, or are you looking for more of a desktop replacement?
Both, but more for when my desktop dies.

I bought a Gateway MX7120 with an AMD 64 bit Athlon for $1k. I stupidly bought a service plan for $300, but it is supposed to cover drops or spills, and that seemed like reasonable insurance to have with a 4 month old. She can't break it now, but I am not so sure about a year from now. I assume I got a decent price.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Both, but more for when my desktop dies.

I bought a Gateway MX7120 with an AMD 64 bit Athlon for $1k. I stupidly bought a service plan for $300, but it is supposed to cover drops or spills, and that seemed like reasonable insurance to have with a 4 month old. She can't break it now, but I am not so sure about a year from now. I assume I got a decent price.
Looks like a good machine!

Computers are like bikes... someone will ALWAYS pop up and tell you what a better deal they could have got, and someone will pop up and tell you that you got a great deal. In the end, as long as it does what it's supposed to, you won't remember much about the price.

If it's a desktop replacement think about getting a docking station. The wifie uses a laptop as her primary PC and uses a docking station at home. It's very nice for her to come home to a 17" monitor, and a regular mouse and keyboard.

Congrats and my your new PC give you thousands of hours of free pr0n! ;) :p

J

JRB

anonymous puss face said:
Anyone know of a good no... 05-07-2006 10:15 PM we don't want you to have a laptop , that will mean your crap will still liter this palce
I'm pretty sure with the right laptop, my crap will gallon this place.

Nice feedback, gutless whole.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Take a look at the HP DV4000 series. A lot of bang for the buck there. I bought one for my daughter for about $1100.

Mike

J

JRB

Posting from the new Gateway. I have to install some security stuff and get the wireless network rolling now. This thing is fast.

J

JRB

jimmydean said:
Gateway? Damn, that's the Ford Focus of notebooks :D At least it has new car smell, right?
Leave me alone. I like it, if it lasts.

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
I just bought an Acer, pretty much the Hyundai of computers I think... go ahead, those of you that are in the know, dis if you want. I can take it:) But it's 80G and 512Mb with wireless and XP, and it cost me $900 cdn (the same setup used was $800 so I figured the extra hun for brand new was worth it). I love it, but I don't know much about notebooks so I went with one that was in my price range that had the speed and memory that I was looking for. So far so good...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Fry's has a "GQ" notebook that is the Fry's version of a store brand. It runs about $550 on sale and comes in 3 flavors of Via, AMD, and Intel.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4659048

If you bump the memory and install Linux, it's a very nice machine for under $650. I set one up for a friend and I liked it. If I wasn't such an Apple slut now, I would buy one to replace the wifes Thinkpad. It would last for at least 2 years and for that price, i wouldnt expect much more than that.

J

JRB

Pretty much not too happy that the notebook is getting a MBR error at start up after I installed Norton. I guess I will do a clean install tonight and see how that goes.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I only use McAfee because I worked there and I know how well (or not so well) most of the products are built.

Sucks that it's blowing up on you. Like the fuse that pops in the Focus after you put the new stereo in :D

J

JRB

jimmydean said:
I only use McAfee because I worked there and I know how well (or not so well) most of the products are built.

Sucks that it's blowing up on you. Like the fuse that pops in the Focus after you put the new stereo in :D
I was really tempted to just use McAffe, but had always used Norton, so I stuck with it. I really should have bought the ZoneAlarm stuff, but I already opened the Norton, so that's what it's gonna be.

J

JRB

Back in business. I got the wireless going too. I had to uninstall GoBack, which I could care less about. I put both machines on a work group, but haven't spent any time getting the desktop opened up yet. It's been over a year since I did any PC networking, so we'll see how that goes. I also need to make sure the router is secure. This is great news that I can post from anywhere in the house now. I have to slow down at work, so I'll be able to keep up at home, while hangin' with Caroline. She is gonna freakin' love Ridemonkey. :D