Quantcast

Anyone looking for a better job?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
With prices on everything going up my paycheck doesn't go as far as it used to, and I've been keeping an eye out for jobs that pay better. Is anyone else looking for a better paying job because of inflation?

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I am looking for a new job for many reasons. More money would be a nice part of it.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Same as r464 but with the extra 2 heads to feed and not much of a raise the past couple years the money is a bit more of a factor.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'd look for another job for many reasons, but right now, I get all the time-off I want and need for my new family. I'm sure I'd get laughed at in an interview if I requested just a flexible schedule.

But as far as inflation goes, I bet I'm making 60% of what I made in 2000. Thanks GWB!

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I'm not actively looking right now, but I always keep my options open as more money is always good. I was lucky and landed a better job a couple of months ago. Slightly more pay, but better opportunity for advancement

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I've got great benefits despite the less than ideal pay. With a lil one on the way, I've decided to stick to it for a few more years. It's funny how being a parent changes EVERYTHING.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have just reduced expenses. We consolidated trips, walk more, ride the bus, and have been stingy.

I learned the hard way that making more money just means I spend more money. I am at a point now where I am happy doing what I do and they pay me well enough for it. My resume is 10 years of chasing $$$ and it shows.

It has also taken me 7 years to get back to what I made in 2000.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I just got a raise and promotion a month ago. That being said, I just got off the phone with a place that I sent my resume to last week. Has nothing to do with needing more money. Lots to do with my interest level.

Arkayne said:
It's funny how being a parent changes EVERYTHING.
It affected me differently, I found I had a better time after work, as in I was more enjoyable to be around, at my last job. I hate my job now, and am grumpy when I get home. I usually leave work at work, but as I get older, it's harder to shed....

Hopefully, they'll forgive me for making us poor, if only for a short time, if I get this job I'm after....

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Unless you own your own company or get lucky w/a small company on the rise, why bother?? All public traded companies on doing the same thing politically, crushing the working class to make them work harder for less and increasing dividends.

But don't listen to me, I'm a professional dad who's job is just for healthcare and some bucks. Follow your heart and if it says go for it, then get active looking for another position and something will fall into pladce.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Unless you own your own company or get lucky w/a small company on the rise, why bother?? All public traded companies on doing the same thing politically, crushing the working class to make them work harder for less and increasing dividends.

But don't listen to me, I'm a professional dad who's job is just for healthcare and some bucks. Follow your heart and if it says go for it, then get active looking for another position and something will fall into pladce.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
My resume is 10 years of chasing $$$ and it shows.
Thats something I've been thinking about a lot as well; I'll be finishing up my MBA in a year and to jump to another IT job and then be looking for a position using my MBA one year later wouldn't look very good on a resume. My wife and I are doing the same as you and trying to cut back to compensate for rising prices

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've been looking to add more inflation protection investments to my portfolio. TIP's, albeit poor timing, at least offset inflation while giving you a return.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm working for a company that just paid me $12 to ride my bike to work today (3x mileage credit for earth day), and I saved $7 in gas. *And* they have showers. :cheers:
Care to divulge where you work? Sounds like they have good perks

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Care to divulge where you work? Sounds like they have good perks
Trek Bicycles. They have some amazing perks, providing a small stipend if you commute by bike, walk or carpool, showers, an in-house cafeteria so you don't have to worry about having to go out to get food (with really cheap healthy food like salads), carpool only parking spots up front, etc. When I drive in/home I'll pass at least a dozen commuters riding their bikes home, and it's not even summer yet.

Oh, and the roads around here are amazing to ride on, mostly good shoulders and polite traffic. They're all 55mph speed limit 2-lane blacktop roads, though, so there's always the bit of danger about getting hit by someone not paying attention. :shocked:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Get used to it. Our current standard of living is not sustainable, especially with competition from cheap sources of professional blue collar workers in developing countries.

Just got out of a big corporate update. My company does a lot of work in South America. They have always done business there in dollars. They have decided to switch to doing business there with the Brazillian Real($).

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
or get lucky w/a small company on the rise, why bother
That's the boat I'm in. Graduating with my BS in ME in 2 weeks, and starting full time as an engineer in the solar division of a biomed/semiconductor/solar company. I've been here part time for over a year, and it's more than doubled since I've been here, and is expected to double again this coming year.

Damn I got lucky....