Quantcast

Anyone Looking For A Sinister?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I'll confirm that. I broke out in a cold sweat yesterday trying to talk myself out of another bike. I really do need another hardtail don't I? :(

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm pretty sure they do have the adjustable dropouts as per the listing on mtbr.com reviews section:

The DNA's heritage goes back to the legendary Metalhead and takes it one step further. Built for 4X, street or trails, the DNA can handle it all. DNA is made out of 6061 aluminum and is 100% made in the USA.

# Standout features include: An oversized 1.125 headtube (which is compatible with deep press headsets)
# Beefy upper and lower headtube gussets
# Proprietary one piece ISCG (International Standard Chain Guide) bottom shell
# Machined out chainstay and seatstay yokes
# Modular bolt-on rear dropouts, which can be converted from a fixed vertical dropout (standard) to an optional horizontal dropout with built-in chain tensioner.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
Yeah I'd be interested in seeing pics of the 04 frame.
The pictures of the raw frames were posted on here a while back.. Try searching for 'em, they're there. Also, there's a picture of a built up one in the Burly Hardtails thread towards the end.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Anyhow, the pictures I saw definitly had some nifty adjustable dropouts (nothing special, just a couple sliding bolts), the only thing about those frames is that the headtube gussett scares the hell out of me... I'm too much of a klutz to have pointy pieces of metal sticking out of my frame - I can just imagine the gash that would open up on my knee!

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
binary visions said:
Anyhow, the pictures I saw definitly had some nifty adjustable dropouts (nothing special, just a couple sliding bolts), the only thing about those frames is that the headtube gussett scares the hell out of me... I'm too much of a klutz to have pointy pieces of metal sticking out of my frame - I can just imagine the gash that would open up on my knee!
I think it might be the newest DNA's that sport the gusset with the stabber in the middle. I agree that it does look dangerous.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
the Inbred said:
damn, this is tempting. i wish i could find out if the frames had some sort of defect, as OBD said.
there is nothing wrong with them. I talked the guy, he said they are still in the box brand new. They just want to unload there inventory because they don't own the company anymore. Go to the Sinister site to confirm that ownership changed.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, they got back to me in less than 5 mins. from Sinister's website:

"Frank will continue to warranty and service all Sinister bikes built before this date and is currently producing 2005 models under the trade name "Sinister Bikes". For more information send inquiries to info@sinisterbikes.com ."

so they carry a warranty. i think i found my new frame.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
berkshire_rider's link is to the '05s. From IB04.

Inbred's links are good.

It makes sense that the drop-outs on the ridge go from being elaborate on the '04 to simple on the '05 as Sinister tried to differentiate the DNA and Ridge a bit more for '05. With the ridge being their FR/trail frame and the the DNA being their street/park model.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yep. i think. i called Ben and left a message. if there's a problem, or if it's a big hassle for Ben, i'll just pony up the money, then sell it right away.

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
the Inbred said:
i think those are 05s, judging by the decals. Jenson has 04s on their site.
those decals are actually the older ones, the original style.. the ridge also has 1 1/8 head tube in that pic... i'm pretty sure they are '04 frames..

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you could always buy it, then sell it and turn a profit.

anyone know offhand what size seatpost clamp they take?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
berkshire_rider said:
I don't even need one but really had to fight the urge to pick one up. Must not buy. Must not buy. Must not buy...................... :sneaky:
Go for it Go for it Go for it!
:devil: :devil: :devil:

vallEbikes

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
amherst mass
the Inbred said:
you could always buy it, then sell it and turn a profit.

anyone know offhand what size seatpost clamp they take?
i dont know but ask mumbles he knows

i got a dna and the gussets do not protrude at all i actualy tried to gash my knees in a suicide attempt but couldent

it is a great frame the powder coat isnt great but the weld quality is great great geometry, and they are sooooo sexy
:love:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Slugman said:
There is a smart man on that NEMBA site:
:thumb:
...what a ridiculous statement.

Hey, that new Kia looks like a Mercedes but at 1/4 the price, so I don't want a Mercedes: they must be the same thing if they look alike...