Quantcast

Anyone make a pivotal seatpost...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I've got one of the 31.8 macposts, scored it for my SplinterMX a long time ago, and although I can't remember the exact length, it was significantly longer than any of my regular 1" ones. It was actually long enough that I had to cut it down to fit, and still leaves plenty of room to raise'er up (maybe not if you're a good bit over 6ft or something though).
sorry for the vague info, but I think you should be alright if you find one of the "OS" versions (although be warned that you cannot slam these posts except for like the top 3" where the OD flares out...)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Arg... I need a slammer. I've got like 2' long legs and 4' long arms! And no, I don't like bananas. It would help too, if I used either a BMX or a slim style seat.
I declare, from this point on, that ALL claimed "slopestyle bikes" use 25.4 seatposts!!!

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Arg... I need a slammer. I've got like 2' long legs and 4' long arms! And no, I don't like bananas. It would help too, if I used either a BMX or a slim style seat.
I declare, from this point on, that ALL claimed "slopestyle bikes" use 25.4 seatposts!!!
you don't really "need" a slammer like on a ht street rig... most Full Suspension designs won't allow you to slam the seat anyway, or risk contacting the rear wheel on the seat and locking up or causing further damage (or more like up your jazz) upon full compression. I couldn't slam my seat much further than this without causing clearance problems, and my seattube is a good ways up ahead of the rear wheel.

here's a few old photos of mine with the mac set-up.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
The Rockets use a full length seat tube and 5.5 inches of travel. I SHOULD be able to get it down there quite aways. I know I've seen someone doing a Twhip on one and there was no post showing. I also run my seats with the nose down(atleast compared to yours), so a level seat should give me a few inches of room as well.

Here's that pic, and there IS a little post showing. I think I kinda spaced off the whole wheel travel thing! If it will go down that low, I'll be good. My feet are like 4" from the ground when I'm on my SX with the seat slammed. Makes it damn annoying to ride in slow techy stuff. Can't put a foot down or anything. And I'm 5'8"!

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
The Rockets use a full length seat tube and 5.5 inches of travel. I SHOULD be able to get it down there quite aways. I know I've seen someone doing a Twhip on one and there was no post showing. I also run my seats with the nose down(atleast compared to yours), so a level seat should give me a few inches of room as well.

Here's that pic, and there IS a little post showing. I think I kinda spaced off the whole wheel travel thing! If it will go down that low, I'll be good. My feet are like 4" from the ground when I'm on my SX with the seat slammed. Makes it damn annoying to ride in slow techy stuff. Can't put a foot down or anything. And I'm 5'8"!

yeah, I'm 5' 8" as well, but I'm not going to be worrying about throwin' t-whips on my Splinter, hahaha! damn.

If you're seriously set on slamming a Pivotal, you're either going to have to get and OS lathed down at the top ~3" where the logo is (not hard if you know a machine shop, etc.) or you'll have to run a rather short 1" post with a shim to space it out, and you won't be able to get extra length extension, which is why this thread was started haha.... macneil is NOT an mtb company anyway... DMR may be able to save your ass though, not sure about their posts, but I know they have conformed to the pivotal standard.
on a side note, the only other beef I have with Pivotal on "mtb" is that there is no forward and backward adjustment, you're stuck with what you got, only angle adjust. Sometimes I like to run an offset seat/post, but no chance w/ macpost... Luckily I like that position on my SplinterMX...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
DMR may be able to save your ass though, not sure about their posts, but I know they have conformed to the pivotal standard.

Ah ha! THAT'S what I'm looking for! Stuff I haven't heard about yet! Usually with my seats, on every bike I've owned, from a Riot to a small Yeti AS-X to a Medium Demo 8, to my SX, I've run all my seats all the way back and usually slammed, except for a little trail action where I try to spin(usually just stand and grind away). BUT, all of my bikes have always had high top tubes, so I could get away with very little post length.
I'm going to check out Thompson's regular line and the DMR pivotals. Also, any idea how the SGS Ibeams sit? Similar to a standard seat with rails?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I'll die of old age before I'll pull a T whip! I just want it completely out ofthe way for DH, jumping and just slow tech riding. With my short legs, NOTHING on this planet pisses me off more than that light tap to the bottom of the nuts. I swing at any and everyone within range of me! I need the right post to save my friends!