Quantcast

Anyone on the Kona Process X?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Checking to see if anyone out there has one. Like it? Don't like it?

It's a lot longer than my Megatower but it has a better seat angle and slacker head tube. Unfortunately the top tube length is the same.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Pretty sure @Dogboy has a good deal of time on his in both mullet and full 29 configuration. I've heard nothing but praise from him when talking about it. Perhaps he will chime in.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yep, been on mine since last November and a little less than a thousand miles. Rode it for a fair bit in full 29 mode, then mullet, then briefly in full 29 again, and settled in mullet mode since then. At 5'9.375" on a medium I find the mullet preferable. If I was a few inches taller I'd probably prefer the big wheels all round. Regardless, it's nice to have the option and it rides pretty dang nice either way. Great geometry, good shock rate, and reasonably light for a bike that is ready for whatever. Holler if you have any specific questions.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Good info, thanks @Dogboy ! The Process X is on my short list for my next bike, when it will be time to replace my Devinci Spartan 27.5 LTD 2018. I'm 5'7", so a mullet will probably be better for me. Did you change the fork or something else to run it as a Mullet? I don't think they advertise it as a Mullet-able bike.

If I recall correctly, you did have Devincis in the past. I'd be curious to hear your thoughs on the Process X vs Spartan G2, if you have experience with it. Thanks!

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
‘usable’ is not really acceptable at what these bikes cost anymore…

but here is actually a useful MTBR post.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Good info, thanks @Dogboy ! The Process X is on my short list for my next bike, when it will be time to replace my Devinci Spartan 27.5 LTD 2018. I'm 5'7", so a mullet will probably be better for me. Did you change the fork or something else to run it as a Mullet? I don't think they advertise it as a Mullet-able bike.

If I recall correctly, you did have Devincis in the past. I'd be curious to hear your thoughs on the Process X vs Spartan G2, if you have experience with it. Thanks!
I was on a G2 Spartan for quite a bit and liked it very much. I think the Process X is pretty comparable with the geometry a tick more progressive. Stock configuration for the complete bikes is 29" F/R for medium through XL and 29/27.5 F/R for the small. I've gone back and forth with rear wheel changes a number of times - it's pretty quick even with swapping cassettes and rotors between wheels, flipping the hardware in the frame takes about 5 minutes and you don't have to completely remove it.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I just don't know why they spec that Fox DPX2 on that frame. I always heard it was a crappy shock.
Mine came with the RS Super Deluxe and I've been fine with it. No time on the DPX2, but it doesn't seem like it would be dramatically different than the Super Deluxe. That said I'm sure there are better shocks for it and at some point I'm sure I'll try something different on mine.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I was on a G2 Spartan for quite a bit and liked it very much. I think the Process X is pretty comparable with the geometry a tick more progressive. Stock configuration for the complete bikes is 29" F/R for medium through XL and 29/27.5 F/R for the small. I've gone back and forth with rear wheel changes a number of times - it's pretty quick even with swapping cassettes and rotors between wheels, flipping the hardware in the frame takes about 5 minutes and you don't have to completely remove it.
Thanks! "Flipping the hardware", I guess you are talking about some kind of High/Low flip chip that seems to be on the seat stays? Do you know if it was intended for muletting the bike, or it just happens to work?

Thanks again!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Thanks! "Flipping the hardware", I guess you are talking about some kind of High/Low flip chip that seems to be on the seat stays? Do you know if it was intended for muletting the bike, or it just happens to work?

Thanks again!
100% designed for mulleting the bike. The chip makes the geometry identical for either wheel size.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Cool thanks!

I find it very strange that they don't seem to mention this feature anywhere on their web site. Kind of a marketing fail, given how trendy mullet bikes are at the moment.