Quantcast

Anyone out there where knee braces when riding/racing?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
This is kind of a sister thread to DH as a contact sport, but more specific.

Do you wear a brace? if so, what kind and why?

I am looking into getting one for my torn PCL when Riding DH. I am just afraid of what would happen if I fell on it again :eek:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
BigMike said:

I am looking into getting one for my torn PCL when Riding DH. I am just afraid of what would happen if I fell on it again :eek:
yep. i wear one i got from my knee doctors. keeps my knee cap in line. but it kind of bunches up under knee pads which is kinda uncomfy. but i don't just use it for DH... any biking. Climbing mostly.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
BigMike said:

I met someone who wore a brace for an injury like yours. The brace he was wearing was from his doctor, which his insurance paid for. The problem, if your insurance won't pay for your brace, they are around $600...

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
blt2ride said:
I met someone who wore a brace for an injury like yours. The brace he was wearing was from his doctor, which his insurance paid for. The problem, if your insurance won't pay for your brace, they are around $600...
Any type of brace that is necessary to "facilitate the regular use of a limb, including physical activities," is considered a durable medical supply. Most insurance companies cover durable medical supplies. As long as you doctor words the brace prescription properly and your insurance covers durables, you should be good. Your doctor has to write that "it is medically necessary that you have a brace in order to maintain a normal standard of living (or something to that effect)." I just went through this last year with my CTi wrist brace. The total bill was just over $2000 and I only had to pay for about $175 of it.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Those^ are the asteriks. The guy who made them lives on a ranch about 10 mi from me. They were meant for dirtbiking, im not sure about biking with them.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
mtnbrider said:
Those^ are the asteriks. The guy who made them lives on a ranch about 10 mi from me. They were meant for dirtbiking, im not sure about biking with them.
CTi also makes a knee brace that has the knee cup attachment which works really nice for MTB.

SCARY

Not long enough
I wear'um on both legs.CTI "flex"with kneecups.I have one repaired ACL and one partial tear in the other.So I don't need 6 mos off for screwing them up again.I use 661 pad -cover-things to keep the cups in place.Insurance covered mine,and I have crap insurance.The ones above are off the shelf (asterisk?)also661,evs make some.Look in Moto Mags,they're all over in there.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
One other thing, most insurance companies will only cover "custom" made braces and not off the shelf models. I think custom braces are better for really bad injuries anyways, if you are continuing on with a sport. They fit better and reduce the risk of the brace actually causing other inuries.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
My doc gave me a prescription and a number for some guy around here. I'll talk to him about it, and let him know exactly what i'm using it for. I think they are mostly for football type stuff, would the same kind of brace work with Roach Pads?

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I've used knee braces off and on with DH, but always use them with MX. Go-ride is a dealer for Asterisk (the braces in the picture above) and we have a few sets in stock that I could offer you a really good deal on if you are in need, or any one else looking for these braces.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I work as a Prosthetist/Orthotist and we fit those type of braces fairly often for Moto injuries. CTI does make a descent brace with an attachable knee pad as people have mentioned. We do alot with Don joy. It is a custom made brace that is fabricated from a cast taken of your leg. The model to check out is the Defiance Armor. The knee pad looks similar to the older Fox 911 pads. The knee joint is very smooth and offers little resistance, while the brace itself is very solid. Check it out at www.djortho.com

We bill these out at about $1500, so you probably want to check your benefits.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
go-ride.com said:
I've used knee braces off and on with DH, but always use them with MX. Go-ride is a dealer for Asterisk (the braces in the picture above) and we have a few sets in stock that I could offer you a really good deal on if you are in need, or any one else looking for these braces.

I appreciate it, but I'm looking to get insurance to pay for it, so I gotta go through this guy. unless you can somehow deal with my insurance company :blah:

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I tore both ACLs years ago racing motocross, now I rarely ride without them. I have the MX versions with patella cup and tibial crest (?) stabilizer on the right knee.

More photos of me using them below, click.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I tore both ACLs years ago racing motocross, now I rarely ride without my pair of cti2's. I have the MX versions with patella cup and tibial crest (?) stabilizer on the right knee. I can't walk very well, but I do OK at riding.

More photos of me using them below, click.

i am also using a set of cti's. blew my acl about 8 years ago, didnt ride with one afterwards...but then just recently tore my pcl, and since i am not currently getting surgery i am riding with the ctis they work great and i just use the moto knee cup for regular riding when i use them, and then put a pair of 661 pro DJ kneepads over the top when dhing (as much to protect the brace as anything) and my knees are so screwy i ned to run customs, too knock kneed to run anything else

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I wore a CTi2 for awhile before and after knee surgery. Worked fine for DH. It fit right over my Dainese. All I had to do was pull out a shin pad that was velcroed on.

Taro

Chimp
I'm using a EVS RS7 ( off the shelf ) and it's working great , thinking of getting the Asterisk later when the RS7 get to old . Just remenber to work on your bad knee , the brace is great but when used all the time , you will lose some strength in it . Some XC riding without brace or just hit the gym to keep it strong and stable is a must as I found out . Good luck

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
BigMike said:
I appreciate it, but I'm looking to get insurance to pay for it, so I gotta go through this guy. unless you can somehow deal with my insurance company :blah:
I hear what you are saying about insurance. I have a pair of custom Donjoys that I wear for MX, Hockey & Snowboarding, but for me they are too much for on the MTB. Instead I prefer the Asterisk for MTB. Depending on what kind of insurance you have (deductible & co-pay), the Asterisk still may be a less out of pocket $. We are selling in-stock pairs for $450.

Skeg

Chimp
Sep 22, 2005
I have one, for a 50+% ACL tear. Now I only have to use it when doing stuff that's sure to result in injury if sh1t goes wrong. I use it surfing, MTN biking, skiing, and snowboarding.It's a custom Donjoy, they had to make a cast of my leg and send the cast out for molding. Wicked cool blue color and made for just me. HUGE $$$$$ fortunately I had the insurance that covered it 100%
the bonus.... no need for the knife. :thumb:

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I have a custom brace from when I tore my ACL, but now that the knee is fixed I never use the brace for riding anymore. (knock on wood) I do for skiing though. I think it makes my knee hurt, but maybe I tighten the straps too much...

It was about $1,200, the insurance paid about 80%. I should probably get one for the "good" knee for skiing, which is actually worse than my fixed one now.

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
i've got the donjoy armour it's a very fine brace you can also buy a knee/shin gaurd to strap on. but the brace it self has a low enough profile that i just wear my foxs on the outside i would look in to this or the asterisks. it just suck that knee braces are all so ridiculously overpriced. but i would look into what donjoy has to offer

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I didn't pay anything for my cti2's. Have your doctor prescribe them for you. Tell him that you need them for work. Asterix braces take longer to put on and aren't as comfortable to wear. My brother has a Don Joy and it has the frame wrap around the back of the leg, leaving the front exposed. The cti protects your shins.
If your knees are as bad as mine, it is more comfortable to walk and ride with them on than off. They firt so well, I don't know they're there.
Tim

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hope you guys dont mind me chiming in with a question of my own, rather than start another brace related question.
Everyone seems to be having good experiences with their braces but have any of you actually tried a variety of braces to compare, I am looking at custom and off the shelf options from CTi and Donjoy at the moment, the off the shelf Donjoy armour is currently looking pretty good as it is fairly slimline, compared to my old off the shelf CTi (now too small, give me a shout if anyone is after one in medium!), this was my only gripe with the old CTi I had.

Also, seeing how I do a lot of trail riding I am thinking about options for protecting my knee for that, though the risk is lower than with DH an akward fall could still cause problems, many of the braces look like they will be quite bulky for longer rides (2 hours plus), has anyone tried any of the more compact softer supports, these seem like a better option for support for this riding, with a more serious brace for dh, what do you guys use for your XC riding?