Quantcast

Anyone paddle this weekend?

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
I got my first Gihon, upper and lower. I love checking local rivers off my list of must hits...We've waited out a long dry summer for some water, and boy did we get it!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In the last month I have seen an explosion of cars with Kayak carriers on the roof but not one kayak. Is kayaking the new "image" sport.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
It has been out here for about 8 years. :p
Do you also have hordes of people with large Thule cargo carriers on their roof, despite only having 1 person in a car with nothing in it? No doubt these are the same people that complain about gas prices.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
I see a ton of recreational Kayaks and touring boats, but not many white water boats. I think white water is just too intense for most folks, but if you like to shred powder, or scare youself in the least on your bike, then you should check it out. Mass., NH, and Maine have some great stuff. Vermont sucks though, so don't bother coming out this far. Check out www.americanwhitewater.org , it really is a great alternative to biking and is great when the riding is just too sloppy.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
I see a ton of recreational Kayaks and touring boats, but not many white water boats. I think white water is just too intense for most folks, but if you like to shred powder, or scare youself in the least on your bike, then you should check it out. Mass., NH, and Maine have some great stuff. Vermont sucks though, so don't bother coming out this far. Check out www.americanwhitewater.org ,click on river tools and check out your state, it really is a great alternative to biking and is great when the riding is just too sloppy.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
There's a big whitewater crowd here in the DC area. I never would have guessed there were places like this on the Potomac, just a couple miles outside the city.

(linked 'cause it's copyrighted)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
Nope. Didn't paddle. But I climbed rock and fished.
hey thats what i did this weekend as well.

i live in a whitewater kayaking world destination. there are bars here dedicated to kayakers and my roomate was a badass kayaker until her shoulder got screwed.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
Sweet! We caught our limit (mostly browns, a couple rainbow) and climbed five pitches of crackosity! :thumb:
cool, i got into a big brown on a dry fly. the river i was on has a hatch going year round. it is also a trophy brown trout managed river. Sunday i went bouldering with my new lady friend.

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Hey, don't rub it in! I moved down here to LA from NW AR where I whitewater kayaked every weekend! I sure do miss it! They only rec boat here and think WW paddlers are crazy..........we just like to have fun!

Not much to do here but ride bikes on trails with only hills and no mountains.........not much for scenery! Which is why I trying to talk N8 into moving to NM asap ..........tons to there..........bike, kayak, and climb.
I had to give away my climbing gear when I moved down here............ugh!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MizN8 said:
Hey, don't rub it in! I moved down here to LA from NW AR where I whitewater kayaked every weekend! I sure do miss it! They only rec boat here and think WW paddlers are crazy..........we just like to have fun!

Not much to do here but ride bikes on trails with only hills and no mountains.........not much for scenery! Which is why I trying to talk N8 into moving to NM asap ..........tons to there..........bike, kayak, and climb.
I had to give away my climbing gear when I moved down here............ugh!
WTF? Why again are you guys still living there?

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Belle........Nate's daughter by his previous marriage graduates in 6 years..........we are moving then...........when she goes to college. He will absolutely postively not move until then.............

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MizN8 said:
Belle........Nate's daughter by his previous marriage graduates in 6 years..........we are moving then...........when she goes to college. He will absolutely postively not move until then.............
Be careful. Those colleges are full of hippies and liberal professors. :p

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
BTW.........I am a liberal myself! LOL!

And N8 isn't as right wing conservative as he makes out to be. Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell..........it's his dirty little secret!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MizN8 said:
BTW.........I am a liberal myself! LOL!

And N8 isn't as right wing conservative as he makes out to be. Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell..........it's his dirty little secret!

I figured he just takes his neo-con frustrations out on us because he probably gets schooled at home.

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Nah!

He just trolls with you guys and then he doesn't fight with me.

I don't do the debate thingy with him. Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring I know!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MizN8 said:
Nah!

He just trolls with you guys and then he doesn't fight with me.

I don't do the debate thingy with him. Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring I know!
He doesn't actually debate with us either, even when called out for an original thought.

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Oh he just pretends to be stupid............he's actually a highly intellectual individual.

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Because he is so funny and he makes us all laugh!

Keeps me smiling all the time!

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
LOL!

It's because you can't hear his voice intonation in print.......he is actually quite hilarious.

BIG reason I married him...he is so damned funny!

MizN8

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Well lucky me gets to live with him instead of you guys anyway! LOL!

He really is quite fun to be around.......always happy..........smiling............joking........too bad that wonderful part of his personality doesn't come off online.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I Are Baboon said:
I almost feel bad for JerseyDave, having his thread turned into a N8 discussion. Almost...
Back on topic.

Talking out of turn...that's a paddling. Looking out the window...that's a paddling. Staring at my sandals...that's a paddling. Paddling the school canoe...ooh, you better believe that's a paddling."