Quantcast

anyone play Need For Speed? i have a question...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm playing NFS: Underground, running a Miata with all the Level 2 Performance Upgrades. i'm a n00b.

question: when doing the drag races, i always redline. having only 5 gears, i can't shift anymore, and either blow the engine, or lay off the gas and lose the race. how do i get past this?

edit:

i love this game.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
You'll get to a point where the opponent cars are too fast for your car and always blow the engine. The best remedy is to upgrade the transmission I beleive. Or move up to the next bigger car.

For example, I have NFSU 2 now and for a few runs, my Sentra always blew just before the finish. I went and installed the level 2 transmission and it solved the problem for a few more races.

I am also hooked on the game, I played it for probably 6 hours the first day I got it. It's a blast with the wheel and pedals instead ot the PS2 controller!!!!!

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
lockemiester said:
You'll get to a point where the opponent cars are too fast for your car and always blow the engine. The best remedy is to upgrade the transmission I beleive. Or move up to the next bigger car.

For example, I have NFSU 2 now and for a few runs, my Sentra always blew just before the finish. I went and installed the level 2 transmission and it solved the problem for a few more races.
I've found that if you try and go into a race without having a car that is of the same level of performance of the other cars, it won't let you race. I've never had the problem where I would redline and blow if I didnt do something dumb and shift down. I'm actually rockin the Miata right now too...going for the RWD race this time around. Last time I went civic-RSX-Skyline GTR. The skyline is friggin awesome, but is kinda weird with the AWD. Wait 'till you get level 3 everything! in drag races if you see a car in the same lane ahead, youre pretty much screwed. And theres a few where you absolutely have to draft (using almost all your nitrous to keep up) and pull out right at the end with the little nitrous you have left to pass..I must have tried like 30 times to beat this one race. :mad:

Drift mode rules too....speed gets you the most points...

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
SilentJ, I think the first NSFU worked that way, in 2 you can have all the power of the other cars, but if your tranny is not up to par......

I've watched cars dissapear in front of me in top gear, untill I blew.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea same things happens to me. Im up to the middle of my 3 contract in NFSU2 and I dont like to drag cuz i suck at it. Drifting is a different story. Its also about getting perfect shifts. In the new one you dont want to do a high rev at the beginning because you cant shift fast enough and you will over rev.

Here is a tip...save you money. In NFSU2 you cant trade cars and get all the same parts like you could in NFSU. So if you have already put alot of money into your car keep it. But if you havent change it to something alot better. Also you can have multiple cars so thats cool. I am still running a civic and I easily beat out the computers in other races. They will beat me off the line but I just draft off of them and then spin them out and they are finished. I will beat em by like :45 seconds.

I love the game too.

What kind of cars is everyone runnin??

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i recently traded to the Miata from the Civic. its handling and acceleration were quite a bit better. it's badass in circuits, sprints, and TTs, but i can't do so hot in drag, which is my favorite.

i think i'm gonna buy this game. other than Tiger Woods 2005, this is the only game that hasn't bored me after an hour of play. how are the other NFSs compared to Underground (the first one)?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
lockemiester said:
untill I blew.
dude...you blew someone? :blah:

yeah..I just have the first one. I really dont see the point of paying the 70CAD to buy a brand new game when the older one will entertain me just as much. when the price at the wal-mart drops I'll likely spring for it.

Inbred, so you get bored from the GTA games?! thats just crazy talk.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
rpk1988 said:
<snip>
What kind of cars is everyone runnin??
I had a fairly loaded Senrta SE-R Spec -V, untill I accidently traded it in by hitting the wrong button.

Now the main ride is a A3, with all level 2 performance upgrades.
I also have an Escalade with all level 1 upgrades, exept turbo.
A bone stock Sentra SE-R Spec-V(Because I have a real one in my driveway!! Sentimental value!!), and IS300(which was supposed to be my trade!!)
And a somewhat upgraded 350Z. I'm waiting on the G35 and the Skyline to show up at the lots!!!

SilentJ said:
dude...you blew someone?
No :nuts:

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
the Inbred said:
GTA wasn't doing it for me.
Ditto.

As fotr the other NFS games, I've only played the Undergrounds on PS2. I had Persuit, and 2 others for PC, and they were mediocre. For the PS2, the Gran Turismo's are more realistic with the handling of the cars, but lack the storyline to keep you interested..

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
reading this hread earlier inspired me to pop underground 2 into the xbox, 5 hours later, i'm doing it on hard, just opened jackson hill area, completed everysingle race avalible on each stage so far(including outruns) i'm iming to get 100% this time.
i'm still running the first car, 240sx all of the level one upgrades and looking completly nasty(in a cheap cheesey pimp my ride kinda way), and a shed load of cash.
i've got 2 empty slots in the garage, but none of the cars avalible appeal to me.
just gonna have to race the car more to open up some higher performance cars, i think the supra is close to being opened up, but its been that long since i payed it i cant remember.

math2014 - i would say pay the extra cash and get NFSU2, more cars, more gameplay, massive city, more tuning/setting options, all together its a big improvment over the original.
one thing that really bugs me about the game though are the silly rear wings, i wanna know who was put in charge of designing them so i can punch him in the face, the wings in the first one were way better designed, now its practicly impossible for me to replicate the look of rally cars, especially the focus wrc and the peugeot 206 wrc.

no doubt you'd be happy with the first one but i think its worth paying the extra cash.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
The Audi A3 is suprisingly super quick and fast. I think it is a fun car to drive. I like how in this game every car just about sounds different. In the first one, most of the cars sounded the same. I also like the free roam mode (it gives me time to practice driving).

Right now I am running a Honda Civic with all of stage 2 stuff and I believe a stage 3 drivetrain, suspension, and ECU. I dont like the spinners so I dont bother putting them on there.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm addicted to this game. i've played waaaaaaaaay too much today. just switched to the Subie and i no longer blow the engine or rediline in 5th. with the freakin' 3rd Level performance upgrades would start unlocking.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
arcade like handling, maybe not as arcade as the likes of burnout 3 but its definitly no gran turismo.
dosnt take anthing away from the game though, fits in well with the theme.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i think from all the NFS, the NFS Porsche unleashed was the best. all others are too arcadish.. (which doesnt mean PU wasnt arcadish either...)

for racing games, my favorite is Grand Prix Legends with the 65 mod. or live for speed.