Quantcast

Anyone put a CCDB on a Trek Session???

I'm gonna call Cane Creek and talk to Malcolm about it as he is an authority on this kind of thing, but I wanted to see if anyone out there has done this and how you liked it/how it changed the bike? I've had a CCDB on a demo 8 and it was an amazing difference on that bike.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Ive seen it done, my guess is it wont make as big of a difference than your Demo though.The Session already comes stock with a custom valved RC4 and The Demo has a just a plain shock...with a less than stellar tune to start with ;)

Ive tried an Elka and a Vivid on my Session last year and still preferred the RC4.Im on a 2011 Session now and the shock is simply spectacular, couldn't believe how big of a difference there is between last year's tune and this one...Something you might want to consider :thumb:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my buddy has had one on his bike for over a year and loves it. the stock shock was a DHX 5.0 but i still see the CCDB being a improvement over the RC4.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
my buddy has had one on his bike for over a year and loves it. the stock shock was a DHX 5.0 but i still see the CCDB being a improvement over the RC4.

Lol,care to elaborate how you think the CaneCreek would b an improvement over the Fox ?

Do you own a Session with an RC4 ? Have you tired the latest tune? . . .

The CCDB may be an awesome shock but it's not automatically a better shock just because it says CaneCreek on it...Im getting quite tired of this over hyped thing about that shock.

GREAT shock , no doubt about it but 90% of the bikes I've tried with this shock felt like poop mostly because 90% of the people riding them have no clue where to go with the settings and 90% of those same people are saying the shock is amazing for no valid reasons...

The CCDB is quite a handful to tune if you have no reference point and as for the RC4 it is basically taylor made for the bike and even comes with indications where to start with it :

http://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/2010/suspension/session.pdf

To the OP, not trying to steer you away from the CCDB, like I said , Im sure it a very capable shock but to get the most out of it you need some pretty extensive suspension knowledge while the RC4 does an outstanding job on that bike.

Thanks for the info Tuumbaq. I'm actually glad to hear your feedback on the RC4. I had thought that it would feel like crap. I'll try the RC4 first and see how I like it(don't have the bike yet, but it's coming).

I spent a lot of time getting the CCDB on the Demo set up and had different settings for different tracks. It is hard to tune at first, but as long as you keep trying different settings you figure it out.

Macguffin

Chimp
Aug 6, 2010
Forgive me if this is a dumb question. :rolleyes: How do you acheive the "Trek" tuning on an RC4? I have a 2010 Session 8 with an AVY cart in the BoXXer up front and am looking to upgrade the DHX 4. As it is, the bike feels "unbalanced". Front end, very nice. Rear... not so much. Was thinking to go the Elka route. Any advice? (Apologies for the hijack)

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Lol,care to elaborate how you think the CaneCreek would b an improvement over the Fox ?

Do you own a Session with an RC4 ? Have you tired the latest tune? . . .

The CCDB may be an awesome shock but it's not automatically a better shock just because it says CaneCreek on it...Im getting quite tired of this over hyped thing about that shock.
yep. tried the Session with a CCDB, RC4 and DHX and the DB blows away all the other shocks on that bike. better small bump compliance, not nearly as progressive as the RC4(even with bottom out chamber open,) HS/LS rebound.

im not thinking its a better shock just because "it says CC on it." ive ridden one for over two years and had a RC4 for a while too (on different bikes though.) and it's far from "over-hyped" as you put it since it actually performs as well as everyone thinks. have you actually ridden one or are you going off of your e-knowledge?

nearly every Fox that comes stock on bikes is "taylor made" btw

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
the rc4 is a very capable shock. It has alot of very very useful adjustment. Its one of the best shocks on the market. Trek has great setup instructions, I recommend running the rc4 first, try it out, then consider switching if you can't make it work.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
the rc4 is a very capable shock. It has alot of very very useful adjustment. Its one of the best shocks on the market. Trek has great setup instructions, I recommend running the rc4 first, try it out, then consider switching if you can't make it work.
Well put...exactly what I should have said first I guess.

- IH8Rice : I have tried a few different bikes with the CCBD ( like I mentioned in my post, did you even read that ? ;))Again , like Ive said GREAT SHOCK but it doesnt mean your bike is going to fly the minute you slap one of those on there...

Ive met many guys on a CCDB who had no clue how and where to get started setting it up but swore it was the best thing on earth...Hard to figure how they can say its so great when they havent ever touched a damn dial on the thing.

Also , from what I can understand , only a few manufacturers are spending time to custom valve their shocks rather than "tuning" a chassis around an already existing tune from FOX.

You've first post lead me to believe you hadnt actually spent any time on the Session yourself , hence why I've asked you about it :

... the whole "my buddy has one" kinda made me think you had no idea what you were talking about . . . :D

I never meant to say the RC4 was a better shock but I believe for most people the RC4 is probably a lot easier to setup right compare to the CaneCreek...and to say it blows the FOX out of the water is very bold statement to say the least.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
At this point, there isn't really any functioning suspension from any of the manufacturers that I know of that is leaps and bounds ahead of everything else. You're looking at incremental improvements at best, and very subtle differences. Properly setup suspension is properly setup suspension, and you should be able to make a high end shock function pretty fycking well.

And trek has their suspension ratio really well placed and their instructions for setup dialed, its really really easy to make that bike ride incredibly well out of the box.

Macguffin

Chimp
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks, but to get an Avy is difficult if you don't live in the US of A or Canadia! Don't want to send my shock to Craig as then I can't ride :(. So will probably go with the Elka.