Quantcast

Anyone read the MTB diss in the new Ride BMX?

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Kinda lame how bikers get hate from BMXers and Skaters.

". . .I have no problem with mountain biking - you know, like riding on mountains. But, some dual shock, tranny sucking monster of a bicycle with Primo pedals at the skatepark or anywhere else getting "hybrid" is another subject. Free-ride mountain bikes are not doing anything new. It's not progressive, you guys aren't "forging new ground," and you're not doing anything that hasn't been done on a BMX years ago. I hate to break it to you, but those big gaps were all dones -without suspension - and gotten over it in the mid to late nineties, and most of your pros are guys who couldn't hang in BMX. Freeride mountain biking is a gross, rehashed version of BMX."

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
It really hurts me to hear that. Where is the love?

What I really don't understand is why they think MTBs get in the way more at parks. In general they weigh the same as BMXs and they have much better brakes.

But yeah, the park is just more fun on a BMX if you ask me.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
It really hurts me to hear that. Where is the love?

What I really don't understand is why they think MTBs get in the way more at parks. In general they weigh the same as BMXs and they have much better brakes.

But yeah, the park is just more fun on a BMX if you ask me.
I think it is because alot of MTBers are ignorant of park etiquette.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The Kadvang said:
I think it is because alot of MTBers are ignorant of park etiquette.
I usually just show up in my full face and my armor on my armageddon, scream "get the f.uck out of my way pvssies" and then ride off of all the decks to the flats of the bowls while doing a no hander and throwing red bulls at all the helmetless kids.

Why........what's proper etiquette?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Muuqi said:
Kinda lame how bikers get hate from BMXers and Skaters.

". . .I have no problem with mountain biking - you know, like riding on mountains. But, some dual shock, tranny sucking monster of a bicycle with Primo pedals at the skatepark or anywhere else getting "hybrid" is another subject. Free-ride mountain bikes are not doing anything new. It's not progressive, you guys aren't "forging new ground," and you're not doing anything that hasn't been done on a BMX years ago. I hate to break it to you, but those big gaps were all dones -without suspension - and gotten over it in the mid to late nineties, and most of your pros are guys who couldn't hang in BMX. Freeride mountain biking is a gross, rehashed version of BMX."

Meh.

They only ride bmx bikes because they are poor. I've got speedsuits that cost more than their bikes.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
kidwoo said:
I usually just show up in my full face and my armor on my armageddon, scream "get the f.uck out of my way pvssies" and then ride off of all the decks to the flats of the bowls while doing a no hander and throwing red bulls at all the helmetless kids.

Why........what's proper etiquette?
I <3 Kidwoo. But you forgot your camelbak?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Changleen said:
No, It's because he's 5-0.

nobody knows that but me when i'm urbanizing. i think they're just mesmerized by my double chin ;)

we used to ride w/ some bmx kids on some erbun sessions....much respect to those guys, blew me away with what they could do. kinda sux that they have to play the "we were here first" game. it's all about having fun on two wheels

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah that is kinda funny that this gets said. i am gonna be honest with you folks for a second cause thats what i do best.

most, not all, but most of the kids i used to run into at the dirtjumps and riding street and parks that were on 20 inch bikes were little punks that thought they were hard core but were really nothing but big loud mouths with bad attitudes. to top it off, most mountain bikers at least have the basic intelligence level that tells them to wear a helmet.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I agree with them that we are not breaking new ground on the TRICKS, but doing a huge gap on a 20" bike and doing a huge gap on a 26" bike are two TOTALLY different things. Yes, they were there first, no they don't necessarily have more fun than us.

The dual suspention thing at skateparks I really don't understand. I did it once at a free outdoor skatepark just because we were there, and it really was not even that much fun.

It all boils down to that we are out there, riding bikes and having a good time. If the riders can't stick together, who is going to protect our sport?

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, but honestly, how serious can you take yourselves if you are over 12 years old and still riding a bicycle?

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
manimal said:
we used to ride w/ some bmx kids on some erbun sessions....much respect to those guys, blew me away with what they could do. kinda sux that they have to play the "we were here first" game. it's all about having fun on two wheels
So true. I almost always head out to the dirt jumps on my DH rig with one or two BMX guys - we just have fun riding bikes. They think it's pretty cool how the suspension thing just opens up new lines or how you can take choppy landings or runups that you couldn't really consider on a BMX. It's true that BMX does take a lot more skill, and most of the "freeride" pro's probably couldn't keep up with the BMX'ers of today, but they're having a blast finding cool lines on a mountain...most of them at least. I do have to agree that I'm getting really tired of seeing guys like Paul B. do BMX tricks on a mountain bike and everyone calling it "revolutionary" - I can see their point there. The kid has skill no doubt, but it is nothing new. Any of my friends who ride BMX who have hopped on my DH bike for an easy run with some rocks and choppy stuff were blown away and hooked on it though once they saw the side of biking that having 8" of travel can open up.

Two opposite corners of the sport. Can't compare the two and I don't think the few guys we see in video's doing the hacked up BMX tricks represent freeriding very well at all. Freeriding is not all catching big air and doing gaps, it's just finding cool lines.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
BMX seems to be mostly racing and freestyle (just doing tricks over stuff.

There is so much more to mtb: in adition to tricks- riding down hills, insane jumps/drops lenght/height, xc riding, riding over rough stuff.

The huge difference is that for bmx, everything has to be smooth (to go fast enough to do things) , for mountain bikes, it can be rough as hell.

I have a bmx bike that has had bent cranks for a year. I'm not very good on it, but bmx is fun becasue the bike is so small and manuverable.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I bought a street bike for my 16 yr old son last Christmas. I think it was the worse purchase I ever made. Yes, his jumping has improved tremendously but not on the 26". His racing has gone down hill(no pun) on the 20" and 26". He buys the (I think) stupid Props videos and then rides around with his pants down to his ankles. His riding buddies don't race so he's loosing motivation to race the 26".

I think the skate park has it's use. But I think judged comps, either BMX or freeride, are BS. I have respect for what the BMXers do on their bikes, but not for the BMXers themselves. Pimarily because of their attitude. I am not including racers in this, however it is starting to spread to their ranks.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
biggins said:
most, not all, but most of the kids i used to run into at the dirtjumps and riding street and parks that were on 20 inch bikes were little punks that thought they were hard core but were really nothing but big loud mouths with bad attitudes. to top it off, most mountain bikers at least have the basic intelligence level that tells them to wear a helmet.
most of the ones i've ran into have been indifferent towards big bikes. then again, the ones i've ran into also go by the name of Chase, Sunday, Tom, etc...not punk little bitches.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
BigMike said:
I agree with them that we are not breaking new ground on the TRICKS, but doing a huge gap on a 20" bike and doing a huge gap on a 26" bike are two TOTALLY different things. Yes, they were there first, no they don't necessarily have more fun than us.

The dual suspention thing at skateparks I really don't understand. I did it once at a free outdoor skatepark just because we were there, and it really was not even that much fun.

It all boils down to that we are out there, riding bikes and having a good time. If the riders can't stick together, who is going to protect our sport?

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, but honestly, how serious can you take yourselves if you are over 12 years old and still riding a bicycle?

OH, so you've been to Colonial Heights...? :D