Quantcast

Anyone recommend a good radar detector?...Manimal..youre the professional..

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
valentine one all the way.

http://www.valentine1.com/

my parents and i, all of us heavy speeders :D , have been using the v1 since 1998 or so and they have paid for themselves many times over since then. i have the non-laser version which i actually prefer to my parents' laser one since it was smaller and ~$70 cheaper.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tenchiro said:
Just remember if you get pulled over and the cop sees it you are all but guaranteed to get a ticket.
this actually isn't true. i received a warning when pulled over on i-5 near seatac, on what became the hov lane (right where 405 branches off). it was a 45 limit right after it was opened, and 2 cars were parked there, pulling literally everyone over. i was dressed up in a tuxedo, and the combination of that plus bsing with the cop over why my shiny v1 didn't pick up his equally shiny laser gun got me just a verbal warning for doing 76 + not having a front plate on. :D heh

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Me and a friend got pulled over one day, and for some reason his radar was on the floor. When the cop came up and was talking to my friend he noticed it. As he was starting to go back towards his car he said I guess your radar didn't work huh...My friend replied oh it works...I just didn't have it on. He got a ticket.

Anyway...The V1 is THE radar to own. On that note didn't I read Valentine makes the radar guns as well. At least some models if I remember right.

V1 is definitely good...it also has a remote display option for stealthy operation.
It is by far the most sensitive, but as a result also has a tendency to false more.

I've been running the cheaper Passport 8500 for a couple of years with no problems. *knocks on wood*

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
All a radar detector does is inform you that your speed has just been clocked by a cop.

I've found that the best way to avoid tickets is to stay within 5-10 mph of the speed limit.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Echo said:
I've found that the best way to avoid tickets is to stay within 5-10 mph of the speed limit.
I try to stay within 10% of the posted limit. For the times I want to do 80-90+ on the freeway, I always make sure I am following someone who is going that fast (and hopefully w/o using signals) and let them run interference for me. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Echo said:
All a radar detector does is inform you that your speed has just been clocked by a cop.
this is true for laser imo, but not for radar. my v1 routinely warns of radar well in advance of the cop/photo radar/"your speed is ___" box, often giving intermittent warnings a minute or more ahead of the source at highway speeds.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
gastrocnemius said:
V1 is definitely good...it also has a remote display option for stealthy operation.
It is by far the most sensitive, but as a result also has a tendency to false more.

I've been running the cheaper Passport 8500 for a couple of years with no problems. *knocks on wood*

I disagree. I've ran the passport and currently the V1. I like my V1 better.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Echo said:

That is probably the best way. A radar is not a full proof way to avoid a ticket. Sure if your the first guy over the hill and he zaps you you radar may not dedect it. But if the cop is zapping people before you, you'll be warned. I also like to V1 because it shows you a direction where the radar is coming from. I've found that to be useful as well.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Tenchiro said:
I try to stay within 10% of the posted limit. For the times I want to do 80-90+ on the freeway, I always make sure I am following someone who is going that fast (and hopefully w/o using signals) and let them run interference for me. :D
This is my basic stradegy... I never run at high speeds alone. Use to drive 100 miles to school every day my senior year of college. Always managed to find someone that was doing like 90 and I'd get about a half mile behind him and match his speed.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I've never known what or how the radar works. So does it sound a beep or something to let you know that you've been clocked by a cop's radar? Or does it let you know somehow that there is a radar in the area?

I've never seen one in action so it's always puzzled me as to how it lets you know...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Toshi said:
valentine one all the way.

http://www.valentine1.com/

my parents and i, all of us heavy speeders :D , have been using the v1 since 1998 or so and they have paid for themselves many times over since then. i have the non-laser version which i actually prefer to my parents' laser one since it was smaller and ~$70 cheaper.
:stupid:

I don't have one, but if I were to get a radar detector, that is what I would get.
read nothing but great things about the V1.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Craw said:
I've never known what or how the radar works. So does it sound a beep or something to let you know that you've been clocked by a cop's radar? Or does it let you know somehow that there is a radar in the area?

I've never seen one in action so it's always puzzled me as to how it lets you know...
It hooks up like a car battery to your anus.
And when you start speeding, it shocks the hell out of you.
Very effective, and some say stimulating. :blah:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jeremy R said:
It hooks up like a car battery to your anus.
And when you start speeding, it shocks the hell out of you.
Very effective, and some say stimulating. :blah:
Ahh, so THAT'S why you speed everywhere...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Craw said:

here's how my v1 works: it has three different beeps and visual indicators for X, K, Ka band radar. it also shows how many sources and what direction these sources are located.

a typical usage would be that i'm driving down the freeway in the fast lane. quite some distance away (i mentioned more than a minute * 75 mph above) i'd get low level but consistent Ka readings and would pull into the slower lanes. by the time the cop's location was reached i'd be going at the speed limit with the grandmas in the slow lane and the detector would have ramped up to be making quite a racket so i'd have muted it. finally, i drive past the cop and grin at him. :D

instant-on does pose more of a threat, but radar detectors can help with that if sufficiently sensitive. my v1 has often picked up cars over the next hill being zapped with instant on K and Ka, with the indication being intermittent but pretty strong readings. (ironically, this looks like automatic door openers. but those are X band and found in cities, plus if you drive a set route the source counter on the v1 lets you think "aha, there are usually 2 X band sources around this mall. today there are 3, one Ka, so there must be a cop. i'll slow down." etc.)

this "demo" might help too: http://www.valentine1.com/demo/demo1.asp

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
It still suprises me that radar detectors are legal in the US at all. The only legitimate purpose they serve is to assist someone in attempting to break the law. Some states have already made them illegal and (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure they are illegal in Canada. If anyone can think of any other purpose they serve I'd love to hear it.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Sorry i'm so late to chime in on this one.
usually, by the time your radar detector goes off, it's too late. most of us don't turn on the radar until we see the car we want to get. so as soon as your detector goes off, i've already gotten my reading. legally speaking, cops can't just drive around w/ it on and wait for a high number to pop up. i have to visually estimate the vehicles' speed before i take a radar reading. just fyi.

Lex said:
The only legitimate purpose they serve is to assist someone in attempting to break the law.
Technically, they don't assist in breaking the law...your right foot does that.
They assist you in not getting caught.

Lex said:
If anyone can think of any other purpose they serve I'd love to hear it.
I can give you three:

My Passport has a feature that also picks up a signal that is broadcast by some emergency vehicles to let you know there may be an accident or something up ahead. (Granted, I've only heard it once, though...I don't believe it's widely used).

Some construction signs (notably in Pennsylvania) trigger the detector...once again, serving notice to the driver that there may be upcoming changes in traffic patterns.

Finally, lots of times when people see a cop, they'll instinctively brake hard, even if they're travelling with the flow of traffic and barely over the limit, creating a safety hazard where there wasn't one to begin with. If my detector picks up stray signals from someone ahead of me getting tagged, I am put on notice that other drivers may soon start behaving foolishly.

I personally don't speed any more than your average soccer mom in a huge SUV...and my car's stopping distance is much less and its handling much better. (Track days and driver schools have taught me that the roads are no place to play). I mainly use the detector to enhance my situational awareness on the road.

The first two reasons are *barely* valid, but I feel the third has real merit.

And I say all this not just because I live in the next town over from manimal. ;)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
My dad has a V1 in hos M3. The car has 35K on it now, and not one speediong ticket. And we don't drive like grandma. I feel cheated if it doesn't hit triple digits at least once on a drive! -but only on open highways. 100+ in it feels 10x more stable than 55 in just about any other vehicle I have driven.
The V1 works as advertised. It is good at picking up signal from over hills. It is still important to use your head though. I still try to abide by the "Never be the fastest car rule." Also, laser seems to be powerful enough that I frequently pick up other people being clocked further down the road.
There have been several times when I was driving along other cars that had radar and picked up what they missed.
And the arrow and counter functions also work very well. The counter has helped me identify some of the super-stealthy unmakred cars that the Mass Staties are driving now.

gastrocnemius said:
Finally, lots of times when people see a cop, they'll instinctively brake hard, even if they're travelling with the flow of traffic and barely over the limit, creating a safety hazard where there wasn't one to begin with. If my detector picks up stray signals from someone ahead of me getting tagged, I am put on notice that other drivers may soon start behaving foolishly.
Thats why I hate NH troopers. They stand in the breakdown lane pointing guns that aren't even on. Everyone panics. On Sunday afternoon, this means an instant 30 mile backup.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
dickiesbike1 said:
if learn=drive, then yes!

It's my firm belief that the US should adopt Europes system roadway and driving system.
I agree with that. Its not the speed, its bad American drivers.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
manimal said:
Sorry i'm so late to chime in on this one.
usually, by the time your radar detector goes off, it's too late. most of us don't turn on the radar until we see the car we want to get. so as soon as your detector goes off, i've already gotten my reading. legally speaking, cops can't just drive around w/ it on and wait for a high number to pop up. i have to visually estimate the vehicles' speed before i take a radar reading. just fyi.

So how true is it when people say its the type of car you drive. Are you more likely to radar a new mazda rx8 in red vs. a 91 Black Toyota pickup?