Quantcast

Anyone remember the Austin Skills Clinic Crash?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There was a video of a guy in Austin teaching a skills clinic, who did a header over a small drop-off.

Can anyone post a link?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
sanjuro said:
There was a video of a guy in Austin teaching a skills clinic, who did a header over a small drop-off.

Can anyone post a link?
yes, I'd like to see it again too. It's a classic xc race style "who me get out of the saddle?" kind of thing.

gg

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
You know he's embarrassed, and won't have a sense of humor about it... I'd give him a slap if he started bitching about the boo boo on his knee.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Euker actually used a small J-peg of the stack as his sig over on MOJO. There was endless discussion on how this happened. Hello Kitty revealed himself to be a tool. It was fun.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Wumpus said:
It is a bigger drop than it looks.
It is especially big when you have your seatpost jacked up, position yourself in front of the saddle, and then ride it while talking about how to ride it.

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
sanjuro said:

Can anyone post a link?
Just for clarification, he was not 'teaching' a skills clinic. He was among the students.

The drop is not huge, but it is at just the right height to catch the front wheel if you roll it too slowly.

...and in case you don't want to wade through the 20 pages of posts, the general consensus was that 'he grabbed a handful of brake' (which is now a common punchline on Mojo). :)

eric

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
druber said:
Just for clarification, he was not 'teaching' a skills clinic. He was among the students.

The drop is not huge, but it is at just the right height to catch the front wheel if you roll it too slowly.

...and in case you don't want to wade through the 20 pages of posts, the general consensus was that 'he grabbed a handful of brake' (which is now a common punchline on Mojo). :)

eric
Thanks for the correction about the teacher/student.

No need to analyze it for me though. I am reading through the posts, and getting a good laugh that way. I especially like this response about how this bikemojo thread made it Ridemonkey:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showpost.php?p=481978&postcount=123

loco said:
Inbred said:
somehow, this managed to make its way to RM.
Uhm - some bitch named N8 is how. I am sure Hello Kitty posted it on teamsmack to make fun, since it is hosted from the anthills page.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Wumpus said:
It is a bigger drop than it looks.
Drop? I don't see a drop.

You mean it's bigger than the 13" it actually is? Is it like a 10 Pinkbike foot drop?

The guy made a mistake on a tiny roller. That's all.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
justsomeguy said:
Drop? I don't see a drop.

You mean it's bigger than the 13" it actually is? Is it like a 10 Pinkbike foot drop?

The guy made a mistake on a tiny roller. That's all.
Have you ridden there? I have, and it is bigger than it looks in the pic.

Funny how nobody was ever a newb and has never made a silly mistake.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Wumpus said:

I don't need analysis because I have done that crash before.

However, it got on the intarnet and I am going to laugh and learn from it.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Wumpus said:
So the video has been altered? It clearly shows the "drop" as slightly taller than his hub when his wheel first touches the ground.

Wumpus said:
Who has made that claim?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
justsomeguy said:
So the video has been altered? It clearly shows the "drop" as slightly taller than his hub when his wheel first touches the ground.

:confused: Looks like the top of his front wheel is about even with the bottom of the rear.

Attachments

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Wumpus said:
:confused: Looks like the top of his front wheel is about even with the bottom of the rear.
Look again. The distance from the ground to the top of the tiny ledge that his wheel rolled of is hub high. In your frame grab his rear wheel is still back on the 4" micro droplet that preceeds the final immense drop.

Either way, it's small, even by Pinkbike standards.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
justsomeguy said:
Look again. The distance from the ground to the top of the tiny ledge that his wheel rolled of is hub high. In your frame grab his rear wheel is still back on the 4" micro droplet that preceeds the final immense drop.

Either way, it's small, even by Pinkbike standards.
Whatever.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, from my viewpoint, everything was wrong about that, from his bike setup, to his position, to the trickiness (for a beginner) of getting on a ledge only to drop a foot on the other side, to the nice guy who published this video in the first place.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
sanjuro said:
BTW, from my viewpoint, everything was wrong about that, from his bike setup, to his position, to the trickiness (for a beginner) of getting on a ledge only to drop a foot on the other side, to the nice guy who published this video in the first place.

I see that kind of riding a lot, XC riders ( yes, I'm one of them) mostly racers but not always ( I'm not one of them) who keep the saddle really high, and do not get the concept of changing CG for technical work. I know some guys who crash a lot, and they really bristle at the suggestion to at least get their ass off the saddle back if they aren't going to lower the saddle a bit.

gg

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I've ridden that drop a hundred times with no issue, but it is tricker than it looks, the angle on that one is off.

The only time I ever endo'd on it was while I was starting to go over it and Druber told his buddy "you can pretty much take any line except the one he is taking."

I always used that line and there is nothing like a split second moment of indecision to throw you over the bars.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wumpus said:

He sure has a nice bike and fashionable riding clothes for a "newb".

Other people's pain is funny.

I fell of my bike once with one foot on the ground, stopped and talking to someone. Result? Funny.

Trying to justify the massive size of that trail curb and the intense diffuculty of rolling down it is even funnier.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
kidwoo said:
He sure has a nice bike and fashionable riding clothes for a "newb".

Other people's pain is funny.

I fell of my bike once with one foot on the ground, stopped and talking to someone. Result? Funny.

Trying to justify the massive size of that trail curb and the intense diffuculty of rolling down it is even funnier.

that video is from a skills clinic, and that's the guy leading the clinic in the crash. Not exactly a noob.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
geargrrl said:
that video is from a skills clinic, and that's the guy leading the clinic in the crash. Not exactly a noob.

Which is why I said he sure has a nice bike for a newb......implying that he might actually in fact not be a newb. Thank you for contributing to "state the obvious" theatre. I'm glad I felt I must also contribute.

irony newb