Quantcast

Anyone ridden Mt. Washington?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'll probably be in BC over the summer, and while i will of course make the mandatory trip to Mecca, i would also want to check out Mt. Washington since i'll be setting up camp on Vancouver Island. Does anyone have any experience with Mt. W.?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
it's a bit 'rustic' in comparison to whistler, but crowds are surprisingly non-existent. if you're on the island it's worth checking out.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
A few buddies that race Mt. Washington say it's the best course in BC. Rough, rugged, off camber, some in the woods tech sections and a wide open finish. Throw in the fact that it usually rains makes it all the more challenging. Fairly long course too, the Pro Men are coming in a couple seconds under 4 minutes.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot for sure, i think it's only about a 90 minute drive from Nanoose Bay. Anything else you would recommend on the island? I'm taking my ReignX, so uphilling isn't out of the question.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot for sure, i think it's only about a 90 minute drive from Nanoose Bay. Anything else you would recommend on the island? I'm taking my ReignX, so uphilling isn't out of the question.
Even less than 90 minutes, closer to an hour.

Mt. Washington has a great bike park, it's never really that busy and there's a pretty wide variety of trails. While you're there ask around for a tour of a local area called "Forbidden." The local trails are pretty good.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Best downhill on the island is Mount Prevost in Duncan about 30 minutes south of Nanoose Bay,it is a shuttle mountain or you can ride up if you like pain, it is about a hour and fifteen to the top riding.
There are about six trails but you can link various sections together so you can mix it up between full dh to full on freeride gaps and drops.
If you pin one of the three dh trails it will take about 12 mins top to bottom.Send me a email before you come into town and I will see if I can give you a guided tour.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Thanks a lot cmoney, i'll do that:cheers:

edit: just checked out some mt. prevost vids on youtube, that does look awesome!