Quantcast

Anyone ride a Marzocchi MX Pro with ETA?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
I can get a good deal on one of these for an upcomming 29er project, but you don't see too many folks running them. Anyone have any real-world experience to share?
Thanks in advance.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mackie said:
I can get a good deal on one of these for an upcomming 29er project, but you don't see too many folks running them. Anyone have any real-world experience to share?
Thanks in advance.
More details on the 29er Project Please.

My KM came with a Marzocchi fork - but I never ended up using it.

Found someone looking for one at the same time I found a great price on a Reba SL.

However I'm currently running my bike with a Karate Monkey fork up front.

If you get a good deal on the Zoke - I suspect that you could turn it around and probably come close to breaking even.

But again, more details on the project bike.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
More details on the 29er Project Please.
Ok Mark - just for you.
I've been eyeing 29ers for a while now. I've been accumulating parts ( I have wheels, tires, all components, and a rigid fork), but the missing link is the frame. As for the frame - I'm sure of a few things - I want steel and I don't want to break the bank.

"Short" list:
Monocog
Zion (available by August)
Juice
Q-Ball
On-One
EMD
Curtlo 24 Hour

It's a big range in terms of price, but I'm not sure what I like in a 29er just yet.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have a Marz MX Pro w/ETA. I've had it on my SC Superlight for about 3-4 years and have had no problems with it. Only maintenance I've had to do was an oil change. Super reliable and plush. What else do you need in a fork?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mackie - If you can hold out until August I would give strong consideration to a Haro Mary frame.

Do a search on mtbr.com for details.

Much of the design was based around the old WTB Phoenix frames with modifications for the bigger wheels. Looks like it will be a real winner and will come in at a price that won't break the bank - it will also come in geared or single speed specific versions. I think they will run about $400 or so for a frame only.

Webcyclery might already have Monocog frames available for around $250 if you want to give one of those a shot real soon.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'd get a Reba. The 29er MX series forks were super flexy, and the Reba has better, more modern damping. And that's coming from an MX Comp owner.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
Mackie - If you can hold out until August I would give strong consideration to a Haro Mary frame.
The Mary is non-suspension corrected though, right?
I saw the Monocog frame, and it's tempting, but 1 - it's really heavy, and 2 - I think it's really ugly. I'm no fashion whore, but the tribal stuff needs to go.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mackie said:
The Mary is non-suspension corrected though, right?
I saw the Monocog frame, and it's tempting, but 1 - it's really heavy, and 2 - I think it's really ugly. I'm no fashion whore, but the tribal stuff needs to go.
Another note - Redline is readying a higher end steel 29er for late 2006 or early 2007

Look on mtbr.com for the post by martini on his Haro Mary. He's running it with a 100mm Reba up front and loving it. So I think it is suspension corrected.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
Another note - Redline is readying a higher end steel 29er for late 2006 or early 2007

Look on mtbr.com for the post by martini on his Haro Mary. He's running it with a 100mm Reba up front and loving it. So I think it is suspension corrected.
Yup - you are right! :thumb: Turns out that I thought the Haro & the Raleigh share the same frame, but they do not. The Raleigh is non-corrected, but the Haro is corrected. :clue: Thanks.

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
The Marzocchi fork isn't that bad, and the price on them now is really nice ($170 on ebay new). I have one on my Sugar 293 and I just got one for the ti. single speed I just put together. The two advantages the fork does have is: v-brake mounts (if you care) and the ETA feature so you can compress the fork when you climb. The v-brake mounts were a must-have for me and at 1/3 the price of the only other fork with them (a White Bros.) it was a no-brainer. The fork does weigh a ton (4.7 lbs. with an uncut steerer) though:oink: .

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
so I see that Mackie went and bought the Zoke, but then found something else better - so what is that new and improved 29er fork sir?

And have you decided on a frame yet??

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
so I see that Mackie went and bought the Zoke, but then found something else better - so what is that new and improved 29er fork sir?

And have you decided on a frame yet??
I answered you in my For Sale thread, but I got a good deal on a Mav SC32. I'm spending my time waiting for a frame by unlacing my front wheel to lace up the Mav hub.
As for frame, I'm waiting on seeing the Haro frames when they come out.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mackie said:
I answered you in my For Sale thread, but I got a good deal on a Mav SC32. I'm spending my time waiting for a frame by unlacing my front wheel to lace up the Mav hub.
As for frame, I'm waiting on seeing the Haro frames when they come out.
Nice score on the Maverick.

Just saw over on the mtbr.com forum from a KHS employee that KHS will have two maybe three 29ers available fairly soon. They'll probably be at Interbike and then available in the late fall/early winter/late winter/early spring.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
Nice score on the Maverick.

Just saw over on the mtbr.com forum from a KHS employee that KHS will have two maybe three 29ers available fairly soon. They'll probably be at Interbike and then available in the late fall/early winter/late winter/early spring.
We'll see how the Mav works out. I'm concerned it will be a noodle for me. I'm heavy, but I've ridden flexy (Sid) forks before without much issue. However, the greater leverage of the 29er may make it too flexy for me. The good thing is, if I have to sell the SC32, any other fork will seem cheap in comparison!