Quantcast

Anyone riding The Ones yet?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
They're a lot of money, especially if you go for the 220-spidered rotors option. I'm contemplating getting them with a 200front and 180back, at which point the prices semm not TOO unreasonable.

BUT at £340 for a set it's exactly double the £170 for saints. Saints were already a bargain at £99/end, but chainreactioncycles have slashed the price to £85/end now!

I'm (quite rightly) having a hard time justifying buying something twice as expensive as a proven product.

Help me one way or the other? :busted:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
my friend just picked up a set, he's so stoked on them. he came off of oro puros and said the modulation and power are both better. he's also stoked on the better lever design. for the price, i don't think i'd buy them, but from what i've heard they're a good buy if you have the money. he isn't any faster though, haha.

OilCanRacer

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
no but i just put some formula mega's on an unfinished bike. they look good, cost me a kidney, one lung and havta give them my eyes when i die. seems worth it though.

i see people building new bikes with the ones. lets see them post up...hint hint...

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I have them on the DH bike. They are AWESOME!!!! Amazing modulation, crazy amounts of power. Great lever feel great everything. The only complaint so far is thay they don't have braided lines, but that is an easy fix. I ran the puros for 2 years, and all I have to say is I have no idea how they got the ones to feel better, but they did.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I rode them for the second half of last season and I am fully convinced.

The lack of fade and serious power makes me think that I can drop a rotor size without any problems.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
The Ones have truly amazing amounts of power. By far the most powerfull brakes I've ridden, with excellent modulation as well. I didn't expect to be so impressed with them, but they are in a class of their own.
Very expensive though.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I also ride The Ones for 4 weeks now and i was totally blown away by it's stopping power,modulation and weigth.The best brakes out there.
Here are also pictures off my bike with The Ones mounted.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Those rotors look pretty cool, not convinced they'd work as well as normal ones though, looks like very little pad contact. I bet they chew through pads quicker than most too. How much do they weigh? ;)

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Those rotors look pretty cool, not convinced they'd work as well as normal ones though, looks like very little pad contact. I bet they chew through pads quicker than most too. How much do they weigh? ;)

Each rotor weigth's 154gr vs Formula rotor 179gr .I ride those rotors for 4 weeks now and they do there job just fine like other rotors.The rotors will not overheat due to the surface with bigger vents,the wave/saw design is known for rapid self cleaning and faster heat disapation so the rotor will not overheat.I like these rotors very much and my pads will have a less life spam as normal but it will not mean that the stopping power degreases.Still the formula's are giving me more than enougth stopping power with these rotors.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Why did you get them with the Ti-Nitride coating? Doesn't that just make them more slippery and overall sucky?
i think not these rotors will provide me more than enough grip to stop me and most people underestimate these rotors because they are not very known to most off us and not every one are running these rotors so most think they suck.Most will stick strictly to formula,avid,hayes,hope,shimano rotors etc because those rotors are most used and they are overall great.Iv'e chosen these rotors because i wanted something new than most other rotors,so far i'm not disapointed with these rotors and they are just great.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well they seem so cheap Gary that it'd be fooking rude not to, that's £115/end WITH rotor (£185 on CRC).

Seems too good to be true.... :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
i think not these rotors will provide me more than enough grip to stop me and most people underestimate these rotors because they are not very known to most off us and not every one are running these rotors so most think they suck.Most will stick strictly to formula,avid,hayes,hope,shimano rotors etc because those rotors are most used and they are overall great.Iv'e chosen these rotors because i wanted something new than most other rotors,so far i'm not disapointed with these rotors and they are just great.
DUDE... breathe!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
And you haven't got them yet? Are you in europe or the US? Just ordered a 200mm rear one since that's the one I really need at the moment (my rear Hope M4 lever is dead). If I like it I'll get a front as well soon.

Was tempted to go for a 180mm rear since everyone's raving about the power, but figured I'd start with the 200 and can downgrade the rotor/mount easily enough if I want to.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'm in germany and ordered those about a week ago, but i paid for them just two days ago because i forgot my paypal password. Being on the same continent at least alllows me to kill the guy without too much hassle if he doesn't deliver.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
don't worry, I know someone that's bought a few things off the same seller and is very happy.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
That's good to hear, that seller didn't look too sketchy so i wasn't to worried anyways, i just can't wait for the brake to get here.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
a number of his other auctions were titled "the one" but then the text and photos depicted oros, which concerned me a bit. I think it's just an honest mistake though, since he sells oros a bit cheaper in other auctions.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Seb - glad you brought this up - I have a new set waiting for me, but wondered what kinds of experiences people were having with them thusfar.

I'm pretty stoked about the ONEs coming off of Hayes Mags, but with the Goodridge lines and Galfer organic pads my modulation was pretty decent.

...it'll be interesting to see how the ONE's compare... can't wait to get them on the Sunday.

:biggrin:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I had posted a poll on which of 4 brakes I should get. Here's the results:

Formula The One : 53 votes
Avid Juicy Carbon : 36 votes

The Ones for the win, and they are what I have ordered.

Linky.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
go1 are great to deal with super cheap and usually a pretty quick delivery to me in Ireland. So i wouldn't worry about them at all. The price on the formulas sounds pretty damn good, but its the usuall kinda offers you get from go1. Only problem with them is limited selection, but if they have what your looking for you won't get it cheaper. There often cheaper than the uk trade prices.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Mine just arrived. Too busy with work to fit it let alone ride it though :( Will give my impressions after the weekend.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Certainly is very shiny though... weights for the gimpy amongst you:

caliper & pads & lever & hose & fluid 252
200mm rotor 177
rear IS->200mm adapter 21
adapter bolts 12
rotor bolts 11
caliper bolts 12

total 485

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well, in summary it's ridiculously powerful.

On my first run my hand was in quite a lot of pain due to a new lever in a new position etc. I was thinking "crap, I wish I'd bought a multitool with me so I could sort this out now instead of at the bottom". Then I remembered it has hand-adjustable reach and throw, no tools required! A minor point, but I appreciated it! Once I'd got that dialled (as far out as it goes and with as much throw as possible IIRC) I was away. Expected it to take a run or so to bed in, but it bedded in effectively immediately.

I now lock the rear wheel on any surface at any speed effortlessly with one finger. Even after 12 DH runs I was still locking the rear everywhere, I guess 4-5 years of Hope M4 "training" will take me a few more rides to overcome :)

Highly highly recommended, couldn't be happier, and I'm NOT just bigging them up because I've spent my money on them!

Clarifier: Although my M4s are old they've had new pads and high-quality bleeds and braided hoses and even new seals etc over the years. Fairly sure they've never felt this good.

Disclaimer: I bought a 200mm because for some reason that's what I thought (well, 205mm) that my M4 was. I realised when I switched them over that my M4 is actually a 185mm. Still, the increase in power (decrease in finger effort) that the brake has given me is much bigger than the rotor-size difference alone can account for, IMHO.

FWIW I will likely in the not-too-distant future be buying a 180mm & adapter as I think 200 is much more than I need. I wouldn't be surprised if a 160 would be enough TBH, but since I have no alpine descents to try it on at the moment I'm reluctant to go that small. Plus, 160mm rotors look ghey :)

I'll be ordering a front one as soon as that go1 place has them in stock with a boxxer mount. If I can wait that long ;)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Deifinitely sounds good seb! Thanks for the info!

I'm actually going with their 203mm rotors - they do make them but seem to be hard to come by right now - adapters too.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Just installed mine, but i can't really test ride them due to snow right now. I have a question though: I would like the brake to engage earlier than it does, and the fcs adjuster doesn't have enough range. Is there any way to make the brake engage earlier?