Quantcast

Anyone riding with a knee brace or ACL deficient?

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Warning, I cross posted this to the DH forum. Before you have me hanged I never cross post stuff but this seemed like an even split between dowhnill and fitness so I thought it would be appropriate.

I tore my MCL and ACL a couple of weeks ago and was informed that it would effectively ruin any chance I had of riding this summer. My Dr. said I will have to wait until my MCL heals, then have ACL reconstruction surgery (I was told that if I don't heal the MCL first I'll lose range of motion). Since the two will have to heal consecutively instead of concurrently it would put me off my bike over 6 months.

I'm trying to think of any way possible to salvage my summer (I live in Whistler damnit!) and the only option I can come up with is letting my MCL heal, then getting fit with a custom knee brace like the CTi2 and putting off the ACL reconstruction until the end of the summer.

Have any of you done this? I'm just riding for fun and not pedaling much (no racer boy here) so I'm thinking that the pedaling part won't be too much of an issue and I know that pretty much 95% of pro MX'ers and SX'ers ride with a CTi2 so I'm hoping that it won't get in the way too much.

Any other ideas for saving my summer. I realize my risk factor will go up a bit but my Dr. isn't going to help me out with any ideas other than immediate surgery and I'm moving away from Whistler at the end of the summer. Realistically I don't see myself having the opportunity again (at least not for many years) to live in a place like this and DH every day so I am willing to try just about anything that isn't going to permanently disable me if it will give me the chance to ride a few months this summer.

Help!

Aug 22, 2002
Hey there:
Sorry to hear about your knee? How did you do it?

I tore my ACL and meniscus playing basketball in November 2002. I had a surgery immediately to fixt the meniscus (cartlidge) because it was limiting my knee flexion. A piece was stuck in the joint. After about 2 months I returned to basjetball wearing a donjoy brace - the "Legend". I continued to play basketball for a year and about 3 months with no ACL. I had one incident of the knee slipping but other than that played at about 90%.

I also rode in the 2003 summer - xc, dirtjumps, droops etc. It was all fine and I didn't wear a brace. The ACL controls the twisting between your femur and tibia. I had some nasty tumbles but the knee was fine. I probably should have been wearing the brace but at that point I didn't have my CTi2. The CTi2 is a far superior brace. It doesn't magrate on the thigh and you can get it with a pattella cup.

Knee injuries suck. I had my ACL pettella recon 2 months ago. The wait lists in Canada really suck. I am in Saskatchewan, and the average wait is a year! Anytime you continue activity with no ACL you risk damaging the meniscus and setting yourself up for a knee replacement at an early age. I couldn't stop activity while I was ACL deficient - but it was a big risk. It turned out OK for me.

Here is my advice. No matter what you do make sure your legs are strong going into surgery. Do squats and hamstring curls - no leg extensions. The last 30 degrees of extension is where your ACL should be kicking in, without it you risk damage. You need to go in strong because you will regain your muscle control alot faster after surgery. Because I was fit for a year before my surgery - my recovery has been quick. My physio girl says I am ahead of schedule. Also, don't rush back to sports. Throw yourself into the physio exercises. I miss riding and basketball, but I would rather ensure that I get yo do those activities for years to come instead of rushing back and re-injuring myself. I bought a bike trainer and at least I get to pedal that and roadride.

This is getting long, if you want to hear more or have any questions, let me know!

-Fraser

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Just a stupid bike crash, landed with my leg at a funny angle. Search the DH forum for a thread with the same name, a cross posted it thinking I might get a lot of feedback here but I don't think many people read this forum.

There was a lot of good feedback (and some useless stuff as always) if you're interested.

After researching it and talking with my ortho I decided to get a CTi2 to get me through the summer and have the surgery next winter.

hozzerr

Chimp
Jan 26, 2004
simi valley
it's been about a year since I tore my acl and have continued to ride since then with a "bregg" brace. I have had about four different situations where it felt like I tore my lig all over again
One time I was scouting this nasty section and as I was trying to walk down the very steep face of a rock there it went and I really had tears in my eyes, swelled up all over again got a nice bruce and two weeks later like nothing happened.
There have been a few other times when this has happened, e\time w/exception of one I didn't have my brace on. When I had the brace on and it happened it was partly my fault b/c I purposely loosened the straps cause my legs were all pumped from riding and while making a fast hairpin turn I lost it and by instinct I stuck my foot out. My knee twisted and boy I went down and almost passed out in pain.
The last time was two weeks 1/2 ago I went to see the almighty "PENNYWISE" @ Canyon Club in Agoura, CA. It was off the hook and then some...and while in the pit I had about seven fools land on me and my knee just coulnd hold it and went down in agony, if it hadn't been for the 6 or 7 redbull/vodkas I'd had by then I would had cry. There is pain and then there is twisting your knee due to lack of acl...
No surgery for me yet. I keep waiting for the riding season to slow down, but here where I live it never stops...