Quantcast

Anyone rolling the '08 Totem?

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Curious if they fixed the seal problem for '08. I'm thinking about selling my RC3 for a Totem, but I want to make sure they are doing better than last year. I love the RC3, but I absolutely hate the new QR axle. I just built up a brand new Pro II/MTX front wheel, and there is already play in the QR axle/hub area. Definitely not cool, and I keep hearing horror stories about the axle coming loose. Maxle is such a better system. So ya, any info on the '08 Totems?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i would be if they could get the 2 step issue to work...once they have that bad boy adjustable down to 130mm it will be the ultimate fork for me on my bottlerocket...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Talked with (I think it was a Tim) at Sram a couple days ago. There is no difference between 08 and 07 Totems. The only difference is the V2.0 sticker kit. Sort of like how there has been no change to the boxxer since the second generation 07 model.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Wow that's unfortunate...why wouldn't they address these issues? Gotta wonder about that...
If there is an issue it may be a bit blown out of proportion, especially if you're on these internet boards. I've met, rode, and raced with a number of people last year in the Northeast that had Totems of all varieties and nobody had issues with seals.

You should be fine if that is the fork you want to run.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Talked with (I think it was a Tim) at Sram a couple days ago. There is no difference between 08 and 07 Totems. The only difference is the V2.0 sticker kit. Sort of like how there has been no change to the boxxer since the second generation 07 model.
Off topic, but what changed on Boxxers in 07? I thought aside from slightly improver lowers in 08 they'd remained identical since 06 to present?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Off topic, but what changed on Boxxers in 07? I thought aside from slightly improver lowers in 08 they'd remained identical since 06 to present?
The change with the boxxer lowers was actually a mid year 07 change. So depending when you got your boxxer in 07 you could have the either the lighter 06 version lowers or the slightly heavier but beefed up 07/08 lowers.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I blame Udi, he had some post about 08 boxxers showing the differences :P

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
What's the issue with the 2 step?
It does'nt work they basically quit doing it as aftermarket this year because the travel adjust began failing to work (so i hear). I will buy one once the travel adjust issue has been resolved and hopefully they update the horrid graphics scheme...

That would be nice:pirate2:

until then i will be riding my beat up 05 36 TALAS R:disgust:

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Curious if they fixed the seal problem for '08. I'm thinking about selling my RC3 for a Totem, but I want to make sure they are doing better than last year. I love the RC3, but I absolutely hate the new QR axle. I just built up a brand new Pro II/MTX front wheel, and there is already play in the QR axle/hub area. Definitely not cool, and I keep hearing horror stories about the axle coming loose. Maxle is such a better system. So ya, any info on the '08 Totems?
Are you sure the axle thing is really a problem?

I would look to any solution for the rc3, because it's one fantastic fork. I've ridden a few Totems along with my Rc3. The Totems didn't give me the same level of confidence I have with the rc3. The rc3 just feels tighter. I was also able to bottom the Totem pretty easily, rc3 = impossible.

The one thing I did to my rc3 axle is tighten it like a gas cap for one whole circle of clicks. I've had the wheel on there for a 2 week stretch now of freeriding and it has not even come close to being loose.

Now if there was only a way to fit Mission control and Maxle into an 66 RC3, we would have perfection!

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Are you sure the axle thing is really a problem?

I would look to any solution for the rc3, because it's one fantastic fork. I've ridden a few Totems along with my Rc3. The Totems didn't give me the same level of confidence I have with the rc3. The rc3 just feels tighter. I was also able to bottom the Totem pretty easily, rc3 = impossible.

The one thing I did to my rc3 axle is tighten it like a gas cap for one whole circle of clicks. I've had the wheel on there for a 2 week stretch now of freeriding and it has not even come close to being loose.

Now if there was only a way to fit Mission control and Maxle into an 66 RC3, we would have perfection!
Talked to marz tech today, and he said I should try a different axle. I happen to have another RC3 at my shop, so I tossed it in and sure enough, no more play. So I had a defective axle:disgust:

But at least the problem is fixed for now. I do agree with you, the fork feels amazing, so I am perfectly content with it now. I was just concerned, because loose parts tend to wear quickly and get looser.