Quantcast

Anyone running $178 chinese carbon rims for DH yet? light-bicycle.com

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
straight gauge is obvious, its consistent (like DT champions)
double butted are thinner in the lower stress area, the middle (like a DT Comp)
triple butted (like an Alpine 13/15/14) are optimized for weight by having a thinner threaded area vs the j-bend, both thicker than the middle

I've only used comps forever, and (knock wood) haven't had any problems over a dozen pair of wheels.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
butting and tubes. Use your powers of imagination to see what this might be for spokes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And yes, I totally screwed that one up because I confused double, triple and single.
I won't make that mistake again

At Carl's Jr.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I heard aluminum nipples were the best because they're lighter. A brass nipple weighs as much as a carbon rim.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The show goes on. I am ordering an asymmetric Nextie 38/32mm reinforced 32H AM rim as a replacement for my 3 years old Derby that croaked after a rock strike causing widespread delamination and loss of air tightness. I like Derby (being customer #1) but $430/rim is a bit steep if you can't get discounted crash replacement after 2 years.

Btw got me CX-Rays at Dan't comp. They are cut to order. Mine are 260mm long IIRC, the last inch+ is not bladed so they have a lot of room for various lengths.

The show goes on. I am ordering an asymmetric Nextie 38/32mm reinforced 32H AM rim as a replacement for my 3 years old Derby that croaked after a rock strike causing widespread delamination and loss of air tightness. I like Derby (being customer #1) but $430/rim is a bit steep if you can't get discounted crash replacement after 2 years.

Btw got me CX-Rays at Dan't comp. They are cut to order. Mine are 260mm long IIRC, the last inch+ is not bladed so they have a lot of room for various lengths.
Fill them teeth.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I'm not sure what anyone else is offering over the chinese rims made by Nextie, LB, etc. I've been on em for about 3 years now too and yeah, I know Tony Ellsworth could get away with charging like 3x the going rate and claim they are made by chinese monks, but for anyone else it doesn't really add up.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The asym Nextie looks very good. I cannot find any flaw on that thing and it arrived in just three days.
Here's an idea - can ghetto tubeless with split tube offer moar rim strike protection than the usual tape-only method? The tube is probably not thick enough to make a lot of difference but perhaps it could soften the impact a little?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The asym Nextie looks very good. I cannot find any flaw on that thing and it arrived in just three days.
Here's an idea - can ghetto tubeless with split tube offer moar rim strike protection than the usual tape-only method? The tube is probably not thick enough to make a lot of difference but perhaps it could soften the impact a little?
You didn't pay 8x as much for Envy rims. I'd say that's flaw enough...

I'd put more latex in your formula, it would probably offer .000132% moar protection.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Bumping an old thread here.

Pulling the trigger soon on a set of LB carbon wheels for my enduro/all mtn/playbike. The frame is a 26 hardtail, the rims will be 27 ID enduro rims.

I've read many times how carbon wheels on a hardtail are pretty rough, so I'm thinking pretty seriously about going to DT revolution spokes to soften things up a little, weight loss will also be a bonus. Read heaps of conflicting reports.... anyone got any real world experience?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Any particular reason you're set on carbon? I tried Enves on mine for a bit, and there's a reason that I stopped. Obviously not all carbon rims are created equal, etc, but it's not something I'm keen to repeat on a hardtail.

Re: spokes, I think you're unlikely to get a huge boost in compliance from going to weight weenie ones. They'll make a bigger difference in lateral stiffness, but stiffness in plane is pretty heavily driven by the rim.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I run revolution spokes on skinny and fat carbon wheelsets. Makes fuck-all difference to me. Tires are for traction, wheels are for staying rigid.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Any particular reason you're set on carbon? I tried Enves on mine for a bit, and there's a reason that I stopped. Obviously not all carbon rims are created equal, etc, but it's not something I'm keen to repeat on a hardtail.

Re: spokes, I think you're unlikely to get a huge boost in compliance from going to weight weenie ones. They'll make a bigger difference in lateral stiffness, but stiffness in plane is pretty heavily driven by the rim.
It's the light and strong thing that draws me. I'm currently running 823s, so similar strength but about 700g less is very appealing.

It's interesting that some say carbon is harsh, where as some say it mutes the trail chatter. I take it was just too harsh for you? Is this an Enve thing or a carbon thing?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Supposedly this company: https://www.oxivecarbon.com/ is going to send me a carbon rim or two to test out so they can get some reviews. Seems kinda-legit, but may be contributing to the downfall of the US...or at least Envy.