Quantcast

Anyone running an '07 Pike 426 coil?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I'm 95% sure I'm getting a Pike 426 coil u-turn for a DJ/street bike build. I'll be putting it on a Transition TOP. Anyhow, I've heard theirs different modding you can do, such as shorten the travel and still use U-turn at like 65-110mm. I was wondering what sort of modding possabilities are out there?

I have never personally played with a fork and its internals before, so oviously, if its a difficult task...I'd like to know.

So yeah, what sort of modding can I do to an '07 Pike 426 coil u-turn?

P.S. What have your experiences been like on this fork? *I wont be able to ride one before getting one...*

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i have an 07 426, and i love it. heavier springs are important because it is a softer fork targeted for trail/all mountain riding, but it performs awesomely for jumping, urban and 4x/slalom stuff. i would definitely buy the fork again and again. i don't know about mods because i have been happy with 95mm being the lowest setting. i'm pretty sure that once you lower it, you can't get the travel adjustment though.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Alright thanks Zhendo, possative feedback toward a product always helps when your about to drop a pay check on it.

Oct 8, 2003
I also have had good experience with the fork used it on a H/T for a while and felt 95mm was low enough then when I got an All Mountain bike and the fork went on it and it works great at 140mm. The only mod I did was I took out the spring in the motion control that is used for the pop lock so I could just lock it out hand.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
To lower it an keep the travel adjust drop in a spring from a Duke. Keep the Pike top-cap.
Ahh....I like that idea. Thanks! I might just give that a try later down the road.

And as for Mica., I work at a shop...so if I dont like the pike, atleast I know I can sell it.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
wouldn't a Revelation U-turn spring fit straight in and allow you to adjust the travel from 85-130mm?

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
I think so. That's not the adjustment range most people would want for street, park, and dirtjumping though.
I am pretty new at this, but aren't most DJ/street/park frames built around 85-100mm suspension? An awful lot of sites list them like that anyway: Sinister, BlkMrkt, NemPro, DMR, .243, etc. There aren't too many that use AC height as the guide.

I know this doesn't include rigids, but we aren't discussing those in this thread.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I am pretty new at this, but aren't most DJ/street/park frames built around 85-100mm suspension? An awful lot of sites list them like that anyway: Sinister, BlkMrkt, NemPro, DMR, .243, etc. There aren't too many that use AC height as the guide.

I know this doesn't include rigids, but we aren't discussing those in this thread.

yes, most are "suggesting" it was designed with a "100mm fork" in mind, whatever that means. But, I believe this to be changing in the seasons to come. A lot of frames that I find myself interested in are based on the 80mm GL/Jumper w/ an A-C of 455mm, which is only achievable with other forks if they are slammed. I am currently running a NemPro slammed DJ2 down to 50mm of travel and 440mm a-c, as well as occasionally swapping out to a 425 Rebate.

here is a little bit of info you might find interesting muddy beast...
lowering a Pike yourself

I personally love the idea of using the Duke u-turn, 63mm is PERFECT for street, and raising it to 100 can give you a bit more slack for rough dj's. Lowering it only to 85 w/ a revelation assembly isn't worth it IMO, only 10mm down...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I want to get the pike 426 Air U turn. I wish the travel was 95-140...It's 110-140. Is there a mod to make it lower and have the max height less if necessary, like 130mm.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
here is a little bit of info you might find interesting muddy beast...
lowering a Pike yourself

I personally love the idea of using the Duke u-turn, 63mm is PERFECT for street, and raising it to 100 can give you a bit more slack for rough dj's. Lowering it only to 85 w/ a revelation assembly isn't worth it IMO, only 10mm down...
Nice man! Thanks.

I think I'll give that a try when I get my pike.