Quantcast

Anyone running Tiger on a PC laptop?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had a few PC's running Tiger before I left Intel, but they were just play things. I love my Powerbook G4 that I would like to buy something for "personal" use. Looking at the price of the MacBooks and OUCH! :pirate2:

Is there somewhere that shows a list of desired PC platform for x86 OS X? I would like to get a nice laptop to run it, but I'm not sure where to start looking.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
FYI, you may have to hack in driver support for some things. I installed OSX on my desktop and had to fuss with the NVIDIA drivers, including some manual editing of configuration files, in order to get it to work.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks for the heads up, BV.

I was looking at the list of supported hardware and recomended setups. I like the idea of the Thinkpad because I have had 3 now without issues. I can get a nice T43 on the cheap.

I was also looking at referb MacBooks for less than a Grand. I might just suck it up and get one because I like my Powerbook so much. Then just install Vista in a few months and call it good.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I've got two of my systems now running with full OS X support.

My notebook is a mitac 8050 (pentium m based with 855g chipset and radeon 9700 pro video). I put a dell truemobile 1450 wireless mini pci card in it and now everything is fully supported. I'm using Callisto for full quartz/core image acceleration and native 1280x800 res support. This is a dual boot 10.4.8/win xp setup.

On my desktop system I have an Asus P5b mobo, pentium d 820 (soon to be e6300), 3gb ddr2 and an Ati X1900 AIW. This too has full hardware support with QE/CI acceleration from the boris badenov patch. This system is a Vista Beta 2, Win Xp, OS X triple boot. Each OS has its own hd. I still have to work on the hd performance in os x, the ICH8 southbridge on the mobo isn't playing nicely right now, but overall it works great.

My suggestion for a notebook is to stick to Intel on everything except wireless. GMA 950 graphics, core 2 cpu, broadcom based wireless (ie $10 dell truemobile from ebay).

As long as you stick with these basic parts you should have no problems getting os x running smoothly. Stay away from nvidia graphics cards as BV mentioned. Unless a lot of progress is made very quickly, you won't get full support. You might get res changing ability with titan/macvidia , but no one has gotten QE/CI working on any nvidia card in a pc yet. ATI is hit and miss, the x1900/x1800/x1600 series usually work well, but its not guaranteed. On a notebook the gma950 is the way to go for sure.

The most painless OS X installing experience I ever had was with on an asus 915g based desktop board with gma 900 graphics and a pentium 4 520. Everything detected automatically and worked out of the box.

The best resource out there for this stuff is insanelymac.com , but let me know if you have any more questions, I've set up OS X on a lot of pc's now with many different hardware set ups so I may have some info on a specific problem you encounter.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's great! I am way too familiar with the Intel 855/915 chipsets. I worked for a year on the Linux drivers for those chipsets and know the ins and outs. I'll take a look at those and go from there.

Thanks for the help.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
945g works great too if you want to go for something newer that can run a core 2 duo. You will just have to do some driver .plist file editing to get the HD audio to work.