Quantcast

Anyone seen 'The World's Fastest Indian'?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I watched it over the weekend on DVD, it is about Burt Munro coming to America and setting the 1000cc Land Speed record on his modified 1920 Indian Scout.

Anthony Hopkins did an amazing job in the flick.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
We rented it on NetFlix last weekend and watched it. I really enjoyed it and thought it as a really nice film.

The DVD has a documentary that's a good half hour long with the real Burt Munro in it and shows how he was quite the character and a real awesome guy. A lot of the one-liners that Anthony Hopkins says in the movie are straight out of the real Burt Munro. :p

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Amazing stuff, thanks Tenchiro:

Burt, then a grandfather, visited the Bonneville salt flats several times from 1962 onwards. In that year he set a then world record of 178.971 mph with his engine out to 51 cu.in. (85Occ). In 1963 a con-rod broke while he was traveling at an estimated 195mph. In 1966 it was displacing 920cc, when Burt, unhappy with some loss in top speed, completely rebuilt it again.

In 1967, with his engine punched out to 58 cu.in. (950cc) he set a class record of 183.586 mph. To qualify he made a one-way run of 190.07 mph, the fastest ever officially recorded speed on an Indian.

His visits to the salt were not without incident. In issue no. 1 of Motorcycle New Zealand, published in 1973 Burt is quoted as follows:-"At the Salt in 1967 we were going like a bomb. Then she got the wobbles just over half way through the run. To slow her down I sat up. The wind tore my goggles off and the blast forced my eyeballs back into my head - couldn't see a thing. We were so far off the black line that we missed a steel marker stake by inches. I put her down - a few scratches all round but nothing much else". At the time Burt was traveling at close to 206 mph!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I saw it and thought its only redeeming quality was Hopkins...The rest of the roles were filled by backward local yokels who couldn't act from Yootah.

It also did not help that I was VERY wasted during the viewing of said film.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
i loved the toe nail dremmeling and making tea with the water used to cool the proto pistons.

the documentary is called "offerings to the gods of speed" and was made by the same guy that directed the full-length feature, roger donaldson. who is also the guy that directed hopkins in the big budget flick "bounty", where they met and started talking about burt.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
tmx said:
i loved the toe nail dremmeling and making tea with the water used to cool the proto pistons.

the documentary is called "offerings to the gods of speed" and was made by the same guy that directed the full-length feature, roger donaldson. who is also the guy that directed hopkins in the big budget flick "bounty", where they met and started talking about burt.
Well hello Miss Smarty Pants!!!

Thanks for the info!

I look for you everytime I ride at Diablo.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I saw this flick yesterday and I have to say it was one of the best flicks I've seen in a while.

Great story!!!

I give it :thumb::thumb:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I just watched it this weekend with my gf, what an inspiration. So many troubles on the way to Bonneville, and so many people just prepared to help him on his way. Loved his fire suit....suit pants tucked into his socks!! Burts my new hero.

Also saw the new Superman man movie. Didnt quite cut it for me. Acting was great, characters great, animation great.....but its SUPERMAN for crying out loud.....it has to be something absolutely amazing to the legend justice....and this movie doesnt....

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
merrrrjig said:
I once saw sanjay riding
You SO beat me to that.

If anyone wants to see another movie about historically underrated Kiwis, I suggest Peter Jackson's (made-for-NZ-TC) documentary "Forgotten Silver."

MD

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
SlackBoy said:
*giggle* Documentary *giggle*
Bite your tongue, Ricky. It's a testament to cinematic veracity.

Anyhow, finally rented "Indian" the other night...a bit too much of a feel-good flick, I suppose...but damn, it was fun to watch. The slight 60s-retro palette and aesthetic was nicely used. Good-time movie.

Hopkins does a heck of a Kiwi iknzint, too, for my ear.

MD

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I saw a few months ago in a little indy movie house, I don't think it really hit the big places. It was a great movie and I really think Hopkins played the part well. What a legend.