Quantcast

Anyone seen this yet? 7.91 lbs Complete

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Isn’t there a lighter and stronger material out there that is illegal/not allowed in races, because it is poisonous when it get to hot?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
are those bebop pedals? How much do the cleats weigh?
I don't think so. I remember seeing these pedals somewhere...it's just a spindle w/ all the crap in the cleat, very similar to Bebops in that respect. Bebop cleats have all the spring tension and such in it. The pedal itself is just a round metal band on a spindle in the same fashion as Speedplays (except there's nothing inside). Overall, I still think Eggbeaters are the way to go - light, lots of float, and good click-in and release feel, no possibility of mud jamming (altho not a real issue on a roadie). Maintenance is STUPID easy - just one 5mm Allen wrench and no dismounting needed.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
zmtber said:
Isn’t there a lighter and stronger material out there that is illegal/not allowed in races, because it is poisonous when it get to hot?
Magnesium? I ride on a mag frame...if it gets to hot it explodes.

You may be thinking of Berulleum (sp?)?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
zmtber said:
Berelium (or beryllium). The vapour and dust is highly toxic. It is pretty strong though, but also ridiculously expensive too. There are a couple of MTB frames out there made from it, came in at around 2-3Lbs if I remember rightly.

(American Bicycles produced)...the new Comp Lite Beryllium for the astonishing sum of $26,000. The Beryllium bike was made with Beryllium tubing (top, seat, down, seat stays, chain stays) bonded into aluminum lugs. The bike was developed with Electrofusion Corp. in Fremont California. Much of the labor was donated by the company since there was some spare time due to the decline in Cold War business for the company. Beryllium's atomic number is 4 just after Hydrogen, Helium and Lithium but the specific modulus (stiffness to density ratio) is seven times better than steel, titanium or aluminum, which are all essentially equal. The first frame was overbuilt and weighed 2.5 pounds. Of that, the Beryllium tubing was one pound (including one ounce chain stays), 1.25 pounds of aluminum lugs and 4 ounces of adhesive.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Changleen said:
Berelium (or beryllium). The vapour and dust is highly toxic. It is pretty strong though, but also ridiculously expensive too. There are a couple of MTB frames out there made from it, came in at around 2-3Lbs if I remember rightly.

Yeah a couple companies in the mid 90s were making frames outta it, they were brittle as all get out...140 XC guys were busting them

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
splat said:
I bet it would not last long under me at 185 pounds

and how long will a cassette and chainrings that are made of CF last ? 100 miles maybe.
Actually CF rings are on Formula one race cars. I have seen rings last for a whole season under a pro racers torque, pretty sick and they shift great too.

I think the pedals are called ORB's by M2 racer, they are made out of Ti.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
"Comprising the lightest, finest components on the market today" Umm Yeah...sure. Carbon cassette, some drilled out levers, cranks and derailleurs, I bet it works like a charm!
I don't understand the obsession with making the lightest bike, when it can't be ridden?! Does it count as the lightest bike if you can't actually ride it?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Heath Sherratt said:
Actually CF rings are on Formula one race cars. I have seen rings last for a whole season under a pro racers torque, pretty sick and they shift great too.

I think the pedals are called ORB's by M2 racer, they are made out of Ti.
F1 cars don't have chainrings, or cassetts. Their gearboxes have ceramic clutches, and compressed-metal and ceramic gears. And ceramic brake discs

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
fiddy_ryder said:
fark,,peoples DH forks weigh more than that bike
not mine:) i got a 40. that things been floating around for a while. sewups? thats a dead fad, the extra tire you have to carry makes up for any weight you saved. 6 speed? blast from the past, ill take the extra 10 lbs to get 10 speed indexing(!) shifters, some clincher tires, some metal chainrings, and a derailleur from either of the last two decades. talk about sacrifice for weight savings, bar tape would be handy too. give it 5 years, thatll be the norm for a road bike