Quantcast

Anyone speak Russian?

J

JRB

Nope - but madbob is about to start training in the army for it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Transcend said:
A little, why?
Just curious about learning some...how it is..how you learned, how long it took...things like that..
Ive always been interested in it, and where Im going to school in fall offers it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I took spanish in High School and it sucked and I hate it...but Id really like to learn another language...possibly minor in one...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Apparently U tebya cho ruki iz jopi rastut? means: Are your hands growing from your ass?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I started to learn Russian in secondary school. It's not too bad compared to English - fairly logical. You have to learn the alphabet first though. I mean really learn it backwards. There are much fewer violation of the basic rules that you need to remember than in English.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
достаньте прочь моего члена!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BurlyShirley said:
Just curious about learning some...how it is..how you learned, how long it took...things like that..
Ive always been interested in it, and where Im going to school in fall offers it.
Ah cool. I took 2 years of it in school, including a trip over there. I was always interested in it and when i started J school i wanted to work at a bureau in one of the republics so I figured why not. Really interesting language, but a bitch to learn for me.

Most languages have some ties to french, english spanish etc, so I picked them up quickly. I didnt know any other slavic languages, so it was an eye opener.

Mostly textbook/workbook and language tapes.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BurlyShirley said:
Apparently U tebya cho ruki iz jopi rastut? means: Are your hands growing from your ass?
Wrong alphabet. The slavic alphabet has a bunch more letters (can't remember how many more). Many sounds like Ch, Sh etc have their own letter.

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
I got the rosetta stone program from uncle sam when they assigned my language. I'ts a good program. I've played with it a little, and know a few words, but don't start my "official' training for quite a while.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
I took spanish in High School and it sucked and I hate it...but Id really like to learn another language...possibly minor in one...

german, that´d be the easier for you.

moving to a language from another family is tough, jumping from germanic languages to romantic languages can suck.

but from germanic to slavic is a triple jump including alphabets.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
german, that´d be the easier for you.

moving to a language from another family is tough, jumping from germanic languages to romantic languages can suck.

but from germanic to slavic is a triple jump including alphabets.
I dont want to learn german or french or spanish. Ideally, Id like to learn Polish as that's my heritage, but its not offered, so Russian it is..I figure then polish will then be somewhat easy.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
I dont want to learn german or french or spanish. Ideally, Id like to learn Polish as that's my heritage, but its not offered, so Russian it is..I figure then polish will then be somewhat easy.
oh well, if its a matter of heritage, go for it.

i thought it was a matter of a school requirement or something... thats why i thought it would be easier for you to learn another germanic language.

romantic languages suck. specially for a germanic speaker.
but i dont speak any language outside those 2 families either :p i got some interest in hebrew though, but am lazy...

L

luelling

BurlyShirley said:
learn something that will get you a job, like arabic (then you can be a translator for the CIA or FBI). I have a co-worker that speaks fluent Russian.....go figure...I guess immigrating from the Ukraine during the USSR occupation makes you the man at Russian or something

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
gnurider1080 said:
i know this super hot russian chick. maybe i should ask her to "teach me how to speak russian." :D
Hell yeah. In fact, why did you even ask? I expect you to be over there learning right now! :rofl: