Quantcast

Anyone stay at Glacier's Reach in Whistler?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
We are thinking about staying at Glacier's Reach in the upper portion of Whistler Village North. My only concern is the distance from the lifts. I hear it's about 10 mins from the lift. Is that true? And if so, is there some sort of catch, like a huge uphill or landmines? Also interested in hearing your opinion on being really close to the lift. 10 mins may not seem like much, but could it end up being a nuisance? Thanks!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm pretty sure that's where I stayed when I was there in 2010. I considered it super close to the lifts. like a 5 minute walk/ride through the village. It's a slight uphill grade getting to the lifts, but conversely, it's a nice coast back to the condo after the ride, or to grab lunch. Conveniently, it was really close to the liquor store and grocery store. But from my understanding, it's a fairly large compound, and we were at the closer end of it. Still, I don't see it taking more than 5 minutes to cross the whole property.

I liked it, and would go again. Plus, the hotub on the back deck was sweet.

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
10 mins is pretty accurate, no catch , I regularly ride out to that area for lunch and head back to the hill after...Uphill for sure but still easy on a DH bike and you're pretty much climbing the same road every other riders climb to the park form the free parking lots...The only "nuisance" if any is that you have to take the road around the village instead of cutting straight thru as you cant ride the village.Nice area, slightly remote from the big crowds... If the price is right for you, dont hesitate, you're right where you need to be.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i usually stay there. Its cheaper than closer in, and they are decently nice condos. Pool and hottube. Close to lost lake too, witch is WAY better than the pool.
free Underground parking Its about 5-10 from the lift. Have to walk part of the stroll, but the people watching is excellent.
close to splitz and that taco joint across the street for cheap eats.
Much quieter so if you are there to ride and sleep its really great.
It is "uphill" to the lifts but its really should be considered flat.

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
We've stayed there twice or three times (different mgmt co. each time I think) and have always been happy with it. Most property mgmt companies pretty loose about being able to keep bikes in unit there. Wife enjoys the quiet. Distance has never bothered me - - an easy pedal Lorimer to Blackcomb Way (by the day-parking lots) and up into the base behind the Pan Pacific. Makes the walk about 50 ft.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Just looked it up on the map and it looks like it's not really any further than the main parking lot where the locals park, suit up and get ready. It's a short few minute bike ride to the lifts.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Thanks for all the responses. One more question: is AC a necessity? Most condos I've seen on Allura don't mention that they have it. We're going in July, so it's going to be hot. Does it cool down enough at night to make air-conditioning unnecessary?

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Thanks for all the responses. One more question: is AC a necessity? Most condos I've seen on Allura don't mention that they have it. We're going in July, so it's going to be hot. Does it cool down enough at night to make air-conditioning unnecessary?
It likely has AC, they just don't make a big deal about listing it.

I've stayed pretty much every different type of place in Whistler and never worried about AC in the summer. Unless you are from the Arctic you won't find it overly hot in the afternoons/evenings in Whistler when not riding.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If you're in NJ, you must be used to hot summers and gross humidity. It doesn't get like that here. The mornings and evenings are comfortable, especially in Whistler.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
If you're in NJ, you must be used to hot summers and gross humidity. It doesn't get like that here. The mornings and evenings are comfortable, especially in Whistler.
Yup, that's exactly why I asked. No AC in NJ during July would be absolutely hideous. Looks like Whistler is paradise in comparison!

yellowdogx

Chimp
Dec 21, 2003
Langley BC
I've been staying at Glaciers Reach for the last 7-8 years for a few weeks every summer.

AC is nice as it can get fairly hot in the summer. It's only a 8-10 minute ride to the lift.

Someone seems to always get there bike stolen from the "secure" underground parking or off their second floor balcony there every summer so keep your bike inside your suite if you want to keep it.