Quantcast

anyone staying at whittake campground for snowshoe #1

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
I can't afford a condo so it appears like the nearest camping is whittaker campground.. unless they suddenly allowed camping in silver creek again. so where is the extreme budget minded place to stay for the 2010 races. I hate to camp a wee bit far from the mountain top but i also lack 300 bucks to rent a condo for the weekend. anyone have a spare room they want to offer up for a share of the rent or something? even a spot on the floor I can setup my air mattress would be nice??? has anyone actually stayed at this campground. how is it.. do lift tickets still include access to the pool which has showers?

subycar

Chimp
Dec 31, 2009
I stayed at the Inn at Snowshoe a couple times. Way cheaper than at the top. Make sure you call them because it seems like they never have the deals linked to the online registration. I got a better deal also when I told them I was racing.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
We stayed at silver creek at every race except the first. Just be quite, don't have your stuff spread all over, and don't have a fire. I plan on staying there again this year. But there are plenty of holes to hide in around the mtn. And yes you can still take showers in the pool.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Lift tickets don't include access to the showers/pool, although you may be able to argue and claim they do because it says "all access" on the ticket. :D

I camped at Whitaker's one night. Not that bad for sleeping but it's kind of a strange place (it IS in the middle of W VA after all). It will work if you just want a place to crash and not much more.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Read it a little closer. Its $84 per person per night. Thats $168. If you're clever you can camp for free and only need to pay for the entry fee.
I posted that for the guys who are "anti-racer boy"/"core".:D You did leave off one piece of advise about the camping.

Never camp near the dumpster (or Doug's cooler). The bears are quite loud.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
We stayed at silver creek at every race except the first. Just be quite, don't have your stuff spread all over, and don't have a fire. I plan on staying there again this year. But there are plenty of holes to hide in around the mtn. And yes you can still take showers in the pool.

I was about to say the same thing...its a big mountain. I didn't have a problem finding a place to crash where nobody bothered me.