Quantcast

Anyone Still Faxing?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
There's a dinosaur (paper roll) fax machine in the office that I see this woman at for half the day struggling to send these piles of documents. What are they? Why is she faxing? Where am I?

Email a PDF or Wurd doc please.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I do a lot of faxing.

For most of the documents I fax, it's important we receive confirmation of receipt which the fax machine provides us. Read receipts for email are unreliable at best, depending on the server you're sending the email to and whether or not they have receipt generation turned on.

Also, the read receipts are available only to me, whereas the fax confirmation pages are easily filed with the sent fax for access by others who might need to see it.

However, we have no dinosaur machine to fax with, either. Our fax machine will scan 40+ pages per minute (in 1200dpi color if you want), does sends from memory, and almost never jams. No struggle, just drop your fax in, punch the phone number (or select from the on-screen directory), and walk away.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I fax occasionally when I have to send tech documents to customers that don't exist in 'tronic format (the documents not the customers). We do have a copier that scans and emails but it is in the next building.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
binary visions said:
I do a lot of faxing.

For most of the documents I fax, it's important we receive confirmation of receipt which the fax machine provides us. Read receipts for email are unreliable at best, depending on the server you're sending the email to and whether or not they have receipt generation turned on.

Also, the read receipts are available only to me, whereas the fax confirmation pages are easily filed with the sent fax for access by others who might need to see it.
:stupid:

Not to mention signatures, initials etc etc.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
binary visions said:
I do a lot of faxing.

However, we have no dinosaur machine to fax with, either. Our fax machine will scan 40+ pages per minute (in 1200dpi color if you want), does sends from memory, and almost never jams. No struggle, just drop your fax in, punch the phone number (or select from the on-screen directory), and walk away.
Word, anytime there is handwriting a fax is good.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
We still fax things out, but we use aN HP all in one printerfaxscanner.

Reminds me of...

"PC Load Letter"? What the **** does that mean?

"No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of **** out the window."

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ciaran said:
We still fax things out, but we use aN HP all in one printerfaxscanner.

Reminds me of...

"PC Load Letter"? What the **** does that mean?

"No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of **** out the window."

:D

I almost feel bad some days, since I have a newer fax machine at home just sitting in a closet...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The fax machine also does scan directly to PDF so it'd be easy even to email handwritten stuff (you just hit two buttons and a PDF appears in your network drive). It doesn't solve the issue of delivery confirmation, though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
reflux said:
Am I mistaken when I say that a fax is more secure than an email?
Well aside from the fact that anybody in the office can read it.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
stinkyboy said:
Email a PDF or Wurd doc please.
So let's see: I've got this document that I need to send someone and they want a hard copy. So I scan it and make a PDF, then email and then they print it out. Yeah, that makes sense :rolleyes:

Or, I walk over to the fax machine, fax it and they pick up the hard copy.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
riderx said:
So let's see: I've got this document that I need to send someone and they want a hard copy. So I scan it and make a PDF, then email and then they print it out. Yeah, that makes sense :rolleyes:

Or, I walk over to the fax machine, fax it and they pick up the hard copy.

All of our work is already digital. She's printing documents, then faxing. Our work is primarily assembled in Quark Xpress. Just rip a freaking PDF from there and email.

Does that make sense?

Let me know if further assistance is needed.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I'll get a better estimate tomorrow, but I bet my office (45 people) fax over 3,000 pages........a day

I have an old fax server with 7 lines, a newer one with 20 lines.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i do it everyday. about 40-50 reports.

i have a FAX set up as a printer on my pc... so its not like i use a fax machine with paper.. just right click the report i need to sent, PRINT, FAX printer, then select the recepient phone #....

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
stinkyboy said:
All of our work is already digital. She's printing documents, then faxing. Our work is primarily assembled in Quark Xpress. Just rip a freaking PDF from there and email.

Does that make sense?

Let me know if further assistance is needed.
Conveniently left out of your initial rant. You work in communications, huh?

And don't forget your original post was titled: "Anyone Still Faxing?"

Let me know if you need further assistance. Not that I'll offer it, but let me know anyway. :evil:

BillT

Monkey
We fax a lot of interoffice stuff and have about 4 fax machines per floor (about 40 total). Faxed contracts from our customers go into an imaging system for processing and storage to cut out the day or two of lag it would take for them to be delivered.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
We do too...

looks like damn near everyone is still FAXing Stinky.

But if it makes you feel better to rag on that lady in your office you go right ahead. Elitist.