Quantcast

Anyone still know something 'bout 35mm? Prove it

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I need a new 35mm SLR camera (I'm taking a class that requires 35mm so dont tell me I need digital). Im looking at the canon t2 and Elan 7 (or 7e or 7ne, whats the difference?) Whats the advantage to the Elan? Is it really worth the extra coin? Finnaly should I be looking at any of the Nikons?

Thanks, -Alex

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Nikons are pretty sweet. My friend has one and he always had nice pictures. I cant remember which one it was because I havent been in Photo class for some time now. Hmmm.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
what lenses are you going to buy? if you're just going to stick a 50mm prime on for purposes of the photo class a low-mid end nikon or canon will suit you just fine. the elan 7 is a nice camera and won't let you down.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Are you looking at automatic/manual, autofocus/manual focus?

Nikon makes the FM10 - fully manual. FM3A has aperture priority, auto and manual. Manual focus.

The other cameras in the Nikon line are more automated - autofocus, auto shooting modes, some w/ more manual capabilities. The entry level being the N55

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
I am a Nikon fanatic...Always loved them...Great glass. I grabbed a Nikon 35mm so that I could share lenses with my D100... If you may get a nice digi set-up someday, consider the cross-over capabilities....

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
the elan offers more autofocus points and such. i didnt realize they were that much more expensive than the 'lower' canons?

ps- know something about film? know what the emmulsion layers are made from? any vegans in your class? :p

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Thanks a lot guys. I shoulda been more specific. I am looking for something that has a full manual option, but also does a pretty good auto job for when I'm feeling lazy.

WhiteRavenKS said:
the elan offers more autofocus points and such. i didnt realize they were that much more expensive than the 'lower' canons?

ps- know something about film? know what the emmulsion layers are made from? any vegans in your class? :p
The elan is about $150 more than the t2. And ya, I know something about film. I actually did a research paper on the chemistry (and biology i gues...) of color photography last year. I dont know if there are gonna be vegans in the class, but I sure hope so, I'd love to be the one to break the news to them. :evil:

Im planning on just getting a pretty simple lense for it to start with 30-70mmish. I'll probably end up buying a kit, but I do want to have a decent camera that I can use for a few years.

Thanks again

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
if you're going to put junk glass on it (like a 35-80? or was it 35-105) then buy anything. get something decent: 50mm f/1.8 MkII (on the canon side), and maybe the 24-85 USM zoom. stop those puppies down and you'll do just fine.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
I have a Nikon N70 and have been very happy with it, I might upgrade to the D70 at some point. the nice thing with Nikon is that their 35mm lenses are compatible with almost every camera they make. It could be the same with other brands but I dont know never searched into it.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The rebel would be a really good camera, even for a beginner. I was going to get one and learn, but I don't have on yet. Most people are buying digital, so films are getting cheaper.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Forgive the spam but I have a Nikon N50 35mm body that I no longer use since getting a D70. I would gladly sell it for $60 since it never gets used. It is in excellent condition and has the instruction manual. I also have a zoom lens or two that I could add in but I am not sure of their exact details at the moment.

This would allow you plenty of $$$ for a really nice lens ;)

You can pm me or email psycle_on@yahoo.com.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
seriously get a F100 (if you can aford it) the only difference between the f100 and the f5 are you can drop an F5 off a clif and it will still work (seriously the guy at my lab told me a story about how he droped his F5 down a 30' claff and the body was fine minus some scratches, the lense was shattered though.)

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
I've got a used Nikon F4s that I am looking to get rid of. I also have a 24 f2.8 and an SB-25 Flash to go with it, plus some other assorted lenses. Great camera, clean, some minor wear, but a really great setup for the price. Pics Here