Quantcast

Anyone talk to the 'blind' downhiller @ SOC?

D

Dingus McGee

I had forgotten about him. If anyone was wondering why 2 riders
were going down the course together in practice, with the front guy yelling out "Left Left, Right. DROP!, RUT, pedal!!!", etc....well now you know. I rode the shuttle van with him and he said he is almost totally blind...."like looking through and paper towel tube with a lens covered with Vaseline on the end" or something to that effect. A former Blind Downhill skier, he told me "it's not getting air that's the problem, it's the landing" He appeard to be 45 or so and covered with dust. Gotta hand it to him! He had a killer attitude and was having a great time!!!!!!

That's all.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
now that's hardcore.

I remember an article in mountain bike fiction several years ago about a local club that sponsored a blind ride. At first they were all riding with a partener who was telling them where to go, but after a while they could all ride single file and tell where to go by the noise of the bike in front of them. Apparently one of the kids was a heck of a climber, on one hill he beat several of the sighted fellas.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I believe that would be Bobby Mcmullen from Redding Ca. I used to ski race with him and he has more balls than a Wilson factory! He lost his vission due to Diabetes, has had multiple organ transplants, and been on and off dialysis more times than I care to think about. It is pretty much a miracle that he is still alive never mind doing what he is doing. I told spomer that he is the guy litter should be doing a story on, but maybe he thought I was kidding about the blind thing. If you talked to him you've met one of the coolest people I know.

D

Dingus McGee

Yeah, I sat next to him on a shuttle and waited in the practice line talking and listening for an hour or so. Incredible. I first saw him when I was walking the course by the logs and I hear "left, right, 2 foot drop in 10 feet stay right!"

Edit- this may be a little personal, but does your handle signify a disability of some kind? I only mention it cuz I saw another bike
with an interesting handlebar config- both brake levers and a shifter were on the left grip, the right being a sort of cage for a rider who was missing what appeared to be all his fingers.
Another example of the human spirit prevailing. Cool.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yeah, Pegboy was the name of a punk band in the late 80's and also refers to the fact that I got a peg leg... Well it's a $20,000+ carbon fiber peg. I lost my left leg above the knee in a motorcyle accident so now I DH to get my fix insted. Bobby actually wanted me to guide for him this year, he figured it would really blow peoples minds but I told him I have a tough enough time worrying about keeping myself on the trail! Anyway, if you're down at Big Bear, say hey, I'll be the one legged guy.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
man thats unbeleivable. I remember reading something in a mag awhile ago about some blind guy that had tought himself eckolocation by clicking his tounge! He had gotten so good at it he could tell you how far away he was from a curb up to like 20ft.:eek:

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Originally posted by Pip3r
man thats unbeleivable. I remember reading something in a mag awhile ago about some blind guy that had tought himself eckolocation by clicking his tounge! He had gotten so good at it he could tell you how far away he was from a curb up to like 20ft.:eek:

r u serious? that's crazy