Quantcast

Anyone tried micro-siping their tires?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
For what it's worth, I look at it this way: If custom-siping tires had any noticeable advantage you'd see factory mechanics doing it. And while they did get a little high on the kool-aide about 5-6 years ago everyone seems to have sobered up and settled down (with the exception of Kenda who are really just struggling to prove their relevance). Trimming spikes and ramping knobs for better rolling resistance notwithstanding, you just don't really see the elite racer crowd getting too carried away with the dykes. I say go ahead and do it if you want to, but personally I can think of better ways to waste 15 minutes of my time.

*and all that micro-siping will be useless soon as you wear a bee's dick worth of rubber off the knobs.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
For what it's worth, I look at it this way: If custom-siping tires had any noticeable advantage you'd see factory mechanics doing it. And while they did get a little high on the kool-aide about 5-6 years ago everyone seems to have sobered up and settled down (with the exception of Kenda who are really just struggling to prove their relevance). Trimming spikes and ramping knobs for better rolling resistance notwithstanding, you just don't really see the elite racer crowd getting too carried away with the dykes. I say go ahead and do it if you want to, but personally I can think of better ways to waste 15 minutes of my time.

*and all that micro-siping will be useless soon as you wear a bee's dick worth of rubber off the knobs.
I guess that means you haven't tried it. :D

In all seriousness, I'd take what pro DH teams do/don't do with a grain of salt. We're not talking about scientists/engineers in the pits here. You see a lot of micro-siping in off-road motor sports. 15 minutes isn't much time to try an experiment, and it someone else has tried it and has some tips I'd love to hear them.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Not tried it, but I believe the tyres we run are far from as perfect as they could be, and think you should give it a go. Let us know what you think you discover.

In other news, I don't believe that ramping knobs makes a tyre roll faster. In fact if anything, I think it probably slows it down. Anyone done any back-to-back tests that say otherwise?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Not tried it, but I believe the tyres we run are far from as perfect as they could be, and think you should give it a go. Let us know what you think you discover.

In other news, I don't believe that ramping knobs makes a tyre roll faster. In fact if anything, I think it probably slows it down. Anyone done any back-to-back tests that say otherwise?
it depends on the trail conditions.

it wet deep soil, a squared leading edge is faster as it has less surface area to drag into the easily deformed soil.

on true blue groove hardpack, a ramped knob is faster because the tire does not use as much kintetic energy (your forward momentum) to deform into the ground as it rolls.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
As a point of reference, I cut ramps onto the leading edges of the center knobs on a set of Bontrager Big Earl trail tires a couple seasons ago...didn't really notice a difference. So, who knows if it was just too small of a change for me to notice, or maybe since those had a pretty soft rubber it was less effective?

But, I'd be interested to know the results of some siping if somebody tests it out. It's pretty well proven on car tires, so I would think it should help.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As a point of reference, I cut ramps onto the leading edges of the center knobs on a set of Bontrager Big Earl trail tires a couple seasons ago...didn't really notice a difference. So, who knows if it was just too small of a change for me to notice, or maybe since those had a pretty soft rubber it was less effective?

But, I'd be interested to know the results of some siping if somebody tests it out. It's pretty well proven on car tires, so I would think it should help.
I think the main problem was that you went on feeling instead of timed yourself before and after. Though at the same time doing a blind test with someone swapping the tires for you (unless it is really noticable) would be even better.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I think the main problem was that you went on feeling instead of timed yourself before and after. Though at the same time doing a blind test with someone swapping the tires for you (unless it is really noticable) would be even better.
Agree, my "test" should be taken with a grain of salt. But, if it was a very large difference, it should have been noticeable with the "feel" test.

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Most tires are designed to look good rather than being based on actual functionality. Trust me on that one.

So altering the knobs to better suit the track conditions is often a good thing. Every serious racer should own a knobby knife and/or siping tool to make their own custom tires for the track. Especially if you're stuck with a tire that has large knobs that have enough space to be cut. Most often it won't hurt.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Agree, my "test" should be taken with a grain of salt. But, if it was a very large difference, it should have been noticeable with the "feel" test.
I dont know about you but unless the surface is really hard I dont notice any differances in rolling. Not to mention tell me you never did a race when you thought you were faster by ~20s to end up being 1s slower ;)