Quantcast

Anyone tried Shimano SH-ME7 shoes?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My Terraduro's have started to hurt for extended standing on descents and I'd also like some ankle protection to help with the ankle > rear triangle hits I've been taking the last couple of years.

The Shimano SH-ME7 have caught my attention, has anyone tried them? and can compare to Terraduro's?

edit: used with Shimano XT SPD's.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm a Shimano shoe fan. Pretty much always have been. They just fit me well and work. And pair perfectly with their pedals. I also use XT pedals.

Those ME7's look good, but $200? Damn.

My AM9's and M200's are still going strong (they also have the high inside ankle protection which I love). And they're on sale. Might just pick up another set of those and wait for the ME7's to go on sale.

I have never used Terraduro's but know plenty of endurbro's that like them a lot.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I went from Terraduro to Mavic Deemax Pros for the same reasons you describe.
I like the Terraduro for riding, but anything off the bike,not so much.
But omg are the Deemax Pros amazing.
Together with Saint Pedals they are a perfect match. I assume it'll be similar for XTs. Once clipped in the sole perfectly lines up with the pedal cage and it feels like riding a nice big flat pedal. I could even loosen up the clipping tension a good bit due to friction between sole and pedal. So much better than with the Terraduro. I never knew the connection could feel that much better. The cleat channel is nice and deep so you don't stand on the cleat when walking and it's also shaped nicely to guide the cleat into the pedal.
They are great to walk in, are comfortable and have no ratchet system that can get damaged in a crash or while walking on rocks.
And, a huge plus imho, they clean up pretty damn easy. A little water and a brush and they are literally as good as new. The Terraduro always had a tendency to still look kinda dusty after washing it no matter how hard i tried.
It really shows Barel's influence, with all the little details that truly make it a downhillers clipless shoe.
They are pricey though, but if they hold up well they are well worth their money imho.

I tried the Shimano shoe in the shop.
They were OKish but quality was far off the Mavics. The ratchet system did not work as smooth as the Terraduro's. Everything felt kinda cheap compared to the other options i had tried. Not a bad shoe, but imho way overpriced for what it is.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I went from Terraduro to Mavic Deemax Pros for the same reasons you describe.
They sound really good judging by the reviews I googled after reading your post. Cheers for bring them up.

Thank god they're available in black though.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
They sound really good judging by the reviews I googled after reading your post. Cheers for bring them up.

Thank god they're available in black though.
If you do a lot of hike-a-bike on rocky terrain, the soles won't go for too long. The front lugs tend to rip apart. Other than that, they are wonderful shoes. Stiff enough to transfer power to the pedals, yet comfortable when you have to set foot to land.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Buddy of mine just got these shoes, but has no ride time on them yet.

Other than being a tad funky looking, they should be pretty good. Stiff, light enough and they have some actual tred.

He is moving to those from the AM9's.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
The same happened to my Terraduros. Lugs ripping out and the tread is deteriorating rather quickly. At this point i've simply come to accept there are no perfect shoes. It's either good design and bad quality or good quality and bad/uninspired design. Finding both is like winning the lottery, so i just go with a design that works and replace when necessary. Life's too short to use subpar equipment in my freetime.
If i get two seasons of dh riding out of them i'm happy.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Shimano sizing fail.
Their website lists size 47 being 30.5cm
The box turned up today and has markings of 29.8cm for size 47.

So much for them supposedly running slightly large. Now it's either try size 48 or try the wide Terraduro's.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Shimano sizing fail.

So much for them supposedly running slightly large. Now it's either try size 48 or try the wide Terraduro's.
The regular consensus down here is you have to order two sizes bigger than your regular shoes (in euro scale) when buying Shimanos.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Shimano sizing fail.

That's weird. I wear eu 47. Or size 12 in freedom units. Wonder if they re-did their sizing?

I thought I read somewhere that pearl izumi makes shimano shoes now, or vice versa.

But yeah if you have "high volume" feet, go with wides. I got a buddy who loves the terradura, but also shimano. He's learned to get the wide models in shimano.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The regular consensus down here is you have to order two sizes bigger than your regular shoes (in euro scale) when buying Shimanos.
TBH I haven't found that to be true personally.
Terraduo's EU43
5Ten Impacts EU43
Mavic Crossride EU43
Northwave CG Enduro EU43
Shimano ME7 EU43
Shimano MT3 EU43

The only odd one out in the last 6-7 years is a set of 5Ten Kestrals where I need an EU44?

*EDIT* there are often wider and narrower versions of the same shoe?
In NZ they generally only bring in the "E last" which is the wide format, but some markets they may do a mix.