Quantcast

Anyone try or seen Crank Bros. Directset yet (opinions)?

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
Wondering if anyone has tried out the new Directsets from Crank Brothers. I've only seen pics from interbike but haven't heard anything else about these. Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I have one comming for my hard tail. Considering a King weighs 90 g's the Crank brothers steel cupped DH version is insanely light at 65 g's with lighter versions available. I don't think its a big deal for the cups to double as the outside of the bearing shell, as I've never pressed out bearings of a headset and replaced them. My headset bearings have either lasted for ever, and I just got a new headset, or they wore out quick and the whole thing got warrantied.
I think its a great idea, and show's they're thinking outside the box.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
It's been awhile since I posted this but does anybody have any opinions or reviews on the Crank Bros. Opium SL Directset?

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I'm running the Opium SL on my Morewood Izimu and its worked out great so far. You have to be careful installing it, it comes with a special tool for the upper cup. I don't have a lot of time on it yet obviously but so far so good.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I'm running the Opium SL on my Morewood Izimu and its worked out great so far. You have to be careful installing it, it comes with a special tool for the upper cup. I don't have a lot of time on it yet obviously but so far so good.
hmm, thanks for posting that. I had a guy ask me for help with installing this headset. We had tons of problems getting it to install straight even with the Park pro headset press. The cups would not stay straight. I think I ended up having to keep it aligned the hack way with a block of wood and a hammer. Hated doing it but the Park tool wouldn't keep it staight. Makes sense that there should have been a tool to help.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I should have explained a little better. The tool is really just a ring that mounts on the upper cup, but it definitely does help keep it straight. I installed the cups one at a time, went slow and they ended up going in alright with a park press.

hmm, thanks for posting that. I had a guy ask me for help with installing this headset. We had tons of problems getting it to install straight even with the Park pro headset press. The cups would not stay straight. I think I ended up having to keep it aligned the hack way with a block of wood and a hammer. Hated doing it but the Park tool wouldn't keep it staight. Makes sense that there should have been a tool to help.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
We had to flip the park adapter to press onto the outer rim of the cup and it went in fine after 2 tries. Nice low stack height, smooth after install. We'll see how they hold up over the season.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
yeah, they are tough to install. i cracked my edge of the top one.
only cosmetic but still killed me to see it not perfect. super smooth
great design.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
The bearings exploded all over the floor when my LBS tried installing mine. Got another one but haven't attempted to have it installed yet. I hope its better then my King which has not lived up to the hype.

blong

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
San Diego
I bought one of these: sageC - the 'freeride' headset

One ride...some DH dirtjumping.

Broke the lower cup. Like broke it. I don't know where the hell the bearings went. All that's left is the part that presses into the frame.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
we installed one of these recently and can't figure out what all the problems are. It went in easy, no problems. We did however use a shim between the press and the bearing race so it would contact the entire surface of the cup/bearing. Not doing so would have had the press contacting just the inner surface of the bearing race. If that's what people are doing, it's not a surprise they are having problems. I also wouldn't be surprise if the couple of failures above were due to the headset being damaged during installation.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I finally got around to installing the bottom cup of my Opium at a race this weekend. My old FSA finally died and the lower cup had sheared off, leaving a bit inside the headtube and a floating bearing on the bottom! Seems ok so far, who knows, one day I might put the top cup in too! :p

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
PS I fitted it in a field, with a cheap headset press and a little bit of super-slick grease. If you can't get it right in a shop find a new shop :D

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
The advertised weight is a claim though. The Opium C is listed at 66 grams. I don't know what they weighed to get that but I couldn't get any combination of pieces to weigh that amount. The complete headset weighed 82 grams.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Mine weighed in at 66 without top cap & SFN, as expected, I never thought the WHOLE headset would be 66.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I rode my Cobalt SL for 20minutes and shattered the lower cup into a dozen little pieces. I called up Crank Bro's and they made sure my installation was correct and took care of the problem. I haven't got my new one back yet, but I love the low stack height and I'll keep running it even if I have to go to the Ti or deep cup version.

-Kevin