Quantcast

Anyone try the new Mallet DHs' yet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i must be a chupacabra then, 4 sets of pedals, joplin 4 post - only issue on all of them was that i wore out the bearings on my first set of acid pedals and they had to be replaced because they were the non-serviceable (open bearing) version.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sorry i lied. i had one other issue. the axles on my first gen mallets were installed wrong (drive side axle in non-drive side pedal body and vice versa). easy fix. no issues since then.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Google Shimano pedal broken. Shimano reverse engineers their pedals to keep the axle from snapping by making sure the whole pedal body ejects instead.

Every product has issues. The original CB design was ridiculously light and underengineered, but Shimano's pedal bodies are disposable at best. Time casings snap off like nobody's business.

They all three are alloy pivoting pieces with moving parts that are essentially USED AS BLUNT ROCK CHISELS! :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have these on my trail bike for about a year now. No problems, slop, failure, etc. (fingers crossed)
I spent some time playing with pin height and now have an actual useful amount of grip with standing unclipped while still not causing issues getting out. (5.10 shoes, fwiw)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I can't believe bike riders think a pedal axle should be unbreakable, it's hardened steel and cops a **** load of abuse of course they break if subjected to enough hits. If you wanted an axle to always bend you'd jut have to make it from **** materials, so maybe some people on here can buy safety pedals that will bend from WalMart.

I have snapped the axle on a Burgtec Mk3 and I think it was due to average machining and ****ty bearing placement oh and that the shape of the pedals refuses to let them glance over rocks.

I've never run clipped in so I have comments there.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Haven't ever broken a Shimano DX axle and I've been using them for more years than I can remember, I have however tore a pedal body off a CB axle under power and nearly crashed head first into a tree at speed, using CB is risking your own safety in my opinion.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
CB stuff are like a cat in a bag product for it's overpriced quality,i had own a pair of candy,5050(the worst pedals ever made) and a cobalt wheelset that sucked i had major play on the rear wheel in a short period of time,even the QR skewers from the wheels where major crap.
And what exactly does this have to do with the OP question looking for someone who's ridden the new Mallets?

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Haven't ever broken a Shimano DX axle and I've been using them for more years than I can remember, I have however tore a pedal body off a CB axle under power and nearly crashed head first into a tree at speed, using CB is risking your own safety in my opinion.
So if I've never broken a CB axle, but have had some crap Shim stuff break on me, does that make your experience irrelevant? Hey everybody, I once bent a set of Hone cranks in every direction, the original XT disc hubs were the worst wheels I ever owned, and Shimano shifters universally sucked 3 years ago, so therefore you're stupid for ever buying Shimano stuff * infinity!!!11one!

Last edited:

SCARY

Not long enough
I do have a little time on them now.
They are a little "spongy" feeling when unclipping
The clip in part can feel vague sometimes but ,once the foot postition is right should be 2nd nature.
The pedal body feels MUCH more stable and supporting
Riding unclipped on them was everything I was hoping for.Im not worried about my foot sliding off in a tech section and could see not being able to clip back in and it being ok.The Shimano dxs scared the crap outta me in that situation.
-Oh the brass? cleats absolutley suck and get really chewed up in all our rocks if you have to walk at all.(I'll try riding)
I'll get more time on them this weekend.My limitation is the lack of full motion in my right ankle and I adjusted the cleats askew to try and get them to release a bit earlier.
I'd like to be able to set the cleats so my stance is a little wider.but whatever.

that's all I got right now

Norther

Chimp
Sep 11, 2009
Finland
So I upgraded a set of my old broken Mallets for the newest ones.

I have been using them for about a week and everything was going well, until I noticed after a ride today that the inner bearing and seal on one of the pedals is popping out?

What the heck?

View attachment 113882
I ordered a pair, dissassembled those at the first place and sent pedals back right away. The design of the axle, inner seal and needle bearing is ridicilous. There is no groove or ridge that holds neither the seal nor the bearing slipping away from the pedal frame. And no locking rings neither. And the only thing that holds the pedal frame and axle moving apart inwards is the plastic screw at the outer side of the pedal frame... Not very convincing.
There was also a lot of bearing play.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I ordered a pair, dissassembled those at the first place and sent pedals back right away. The design of the axle, inner seal and needle bearing is ridicilous. There is no groove or ridge that holds neither the seal nor the bearing slipping away from the pedal frame. And no locking rings neither. And the only thing that holds the pedal frame and axle moving apart inwards is the plastic screw at the outer side of the pedal frame... Not very convincing.
There was also a lot of bearing play.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There is a chance...and it happened to me haha.

I sent an email with pictures to them, in response to the RA email that was given a few days ago. No reply yet...

Just called them, lady picked up and directed me to someone who was supposed to assist me, but got their voicemail instead.

Why can't people just respond to their damn emails.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So if I've never broken a CB axle, but have had some crap Shim stuff break on me, does that make your experience irrelevant? Hey everybody, I once bent a set of Hone cranks in every direction, the original XT disc hubs were the worst wheels I ever owned, and Shimano shifters universally sucked 3 years ago, so therefore you're stupid for ever buying Shimano stuff * infinity!!!11one!
And if those shimano shifters spontaneously fractured and fell off your handlebars, or the disc hubs didn't rotate, then you'd have something that approaches Crank Brothers.

They tried to make cranks by GLUING TWO METAL HALVES TOGETHER. That's their name, CRANK brothers, and they couldn't even figure out how to make CRANKS. That's just beyond comprehension. That one product might have the lowest rating of all time.

They tried to make a pump, and the only problem was it couldn't pump air.

They tried to make an adjustable travel seatpost and the notches used for "locking it" that wore out in a few weeks, causing it to slip and not function. A nice touch was a circular seal on a square stanchion.

The epicness of these failures is the stuff of legends.

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
And if those shimano shifters spontaneously fractured and fell off your handlebars, or the disc hubs didn't rotate, then you'd have something that approaches Crank Brothers.

They tried to make cranks by GLUING TWO METAL HALVES TOGETHER. That's their name, CRANK brothers, and they couldn't even figure out how to make CRANKS. That's just beyond comprehension. That one product might have the lowest rating of all time.

They tried to make a pump, and the only problem was it couldn't pump air.

They tried to make an adjustable travel seatpost and the notches used for "locking it" that wore out in a few weeks, causing it to slip and not function. A nice touch was a circular seal on a square stanchion.

The epicness of these failures is the stuff of legends.

I can see you're really focused on all the CB fail and everything, so you must've missed the part about my bent Hone cranks. They bent so far they wouldn't clear the chainstay. But like you say, they're not CB so it must all be in my head.

Oh, and by the way, none of what you wrote has anything to do with the new Mallet pedals. Maybe you could start your own thread...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can see you're really focused on all the CB fail and everything, so you must've missed the part about my bent Hone cranks. They bent so far they wouldn't clear the chainstay. But like you say, they're not CB so it must all be in my head.

Oh, and by the way, none of what you wrote has anything to do with the new Mallet pedals. Maybe you could start your own thread...
How many people bend shimano cranks? It's rare to non-existant because the hollow design is tops as far as strength to weight ratio, especially compared to what has been available for the last 10 years. It's something they've been able to mass produce, while putting out a quality product. While not the stiffest, LX (hone) cranks were far stiffer than cranks that used the same amount of material in different configurations and available for dirt-cheap prices ($80). This was in no way a DH product, but for strength/weight to price ratio, pretty hard to beat, especially with the BB interface. Of course, anything can and will fail at some point, so then you go look at some data to see if it's really a problem, or just an isolated incident. I'd say that given the lack of problems with shimano cranks overall, that's an isolated incident. Go look at the crank brothers cranks, and that's nearly a 100% failure rate. Look at the data, how many incidences of bent cranks per how many are really out there. If you need the lightest disposable parts, look no further than CB.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Someone buys low end soft aluminum cranks and bends them on a dh bike.

Thinks that's the same thing as high dollar 'top end' product from other company that basically disintegrates.

News at 11.

And just to keep it real: Anyone who buys CB pedals looking for a different feel than shimanos instead of TIME product is seriously just brain dead. But mostly just proves that paying fast guys to run garbage works on the average mountainbiker. So right on CB! Killin it!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just like the Coda Magic crank or whatever it was, they only had one bad batch where the bonding didn't hold, they cracked in other places though.
I tried to buy a Crank Brothers product once, my LBS wouldn't let me, cool story, huh?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just like the Coda Magic crank or whatever it was, they only had one bad batch where the bonding didn't hold, they cracked in other places though.
I tried to buy a Crank Brothers product once, my LBS wouldn't let me, cool story, huh?
They look like this when they fail :)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Pffft that's not a failure, the pedal and crank bolt would hold it together fine, still an awesome bit of engineering for the day. Weld it up and ride!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Based on today's sudden skin abrasions (through no fault of my own), I may have to reconsider my statements in this thread. Wonder how hard it would be to delete them all...

Anyway, will discuss with warranty tomorrow. :think:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I have these on my trail bike for about a year now. No problems, slop, failure, etc. (fingers crossed)
I spent some time playing with pin height and now have an actual useful amount of grip with standing unclipped while still not causing issues getting out. (5.10 shoes, fwiw)

Please, I like you. Don't run those, for your health.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Of course, anything can and will fail at some point, so then you go look at some data to see if it's really a problem, or just an isolated incident.
False. As t goes to infinity, saint cranks stay perfect. I have irrefutable evidence to back this up.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I've bent a first generation Saint crank arm.
How? I'm 220 and have bent multiple steel pedal spindles on my drive side crank, my metal bashguard is more of an oval than circle, there is almost no anno left on them, and they are still perfect after 6-7 years.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How? I'm 220 and have bent multiple steel pedal spindles on my drive side crank, my metal bashguard is more of an oval than circle, there is almost no anno left on them, and they are still perfect after 6-7 years.
Super hard rock strike with the bike pretty much completely sideways. Hit the outside end of the pedal on the rock and bent the arm in a bit. That one hurt.

The 646 pedal survived fine, and is still on my DH bike.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Good luck with that. They were (and still are) slow as ****ing molasses dealing with my issues.
I went on the site today, generated an RA# and shipped them back Priority Mail for $8.50. They'll have them Monday.

Not sure how hard you're making it, but they require you to simply go to the tech support page to generate your own RA#. They then have a digital recarod of your issue as soon as it hits the tech department.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It took them almost a month for them to acknowledge that they received my pedals!

A week later and the one pedal has a bearing that is popping out the side of it. I've replied to the final RA email that is sent out, where they ask you to respond to it if you have any questions or concerns. After a few days of that going unanswered I called them up, I spoke to a lady who then was supposed to forward me to someone who would assist me. Instead I got voice mail where I left a message. After not getting any response for my voicemail, I emailed their general information address. We'll see if that one gets answered.

Do they have a toll free number? Can't afford to be calling California from a cell phone.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Weird. General consensus on crank bros is that although their crap fails regularly, their CS gets you a new one pretty quickly so you can break that one & repeat the cycle. Has their CS gone downhill?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Can't be worse than Mavic. Took them almost a month to ship me a replacement spoke, only to find it's too short, and they no longer make the correct size. For a set of wheels new in '06...
And my OG Mallets are still going strong, new in '05. Haters :p

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
It took them almost a month for them to acknowledge that they received my pedals!

A week later and the one pedal has a bearing that is popping out the side of it. I've replied to the final RA email that is sent out, where they ask you to respond to it if you have any questions or concerns. After a few days of that going unanswered I called them up, I spoke to a lady who then was supposed to forward me to someone who would assist me. Instead I got voice mail where I left a message. After not getting any response for my voicemail, I emailed their general information address. We'll see if that one gets answered.

Do they have a toll free number? Can't afford to be calling California from a cell phone.
I googled rank Brothers on my cell phone and the # that popped in in the Android dialer link - 877-901-9091. I called it yesterday around 3:30 their time and got a live tech first try. But I know phone calls to bike companies are random at best.

Lord help you if you gotta talk to a tech at Hayes. But in fairness to them, once you get them on the line at Hayes, they typically bust out some hella good support.