Quantcast

Anyone try WD-40 dry lube?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I know, forever and ever if you saw WD 40 on a shop bench, you ran away. But they have a bunch of new products out. Anyone give them a whirl?

I think I want to try something other than Pro Link Gold...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Not to derail this thread, but take a look at the Interflon product line if you have a chance. Their dry lube and their teflon based grease, while not being bike specific, are top notch. I have been using them for the last two years and I wouldn't exchange them for anything else.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
WD-40 has it's place, even on bikes.

I'm a big fan of ProLink myself. It can be messy but removing the chain to lube and wiping off the excess before re-installing makes a big difference. Also make sure to wipe again after pedaling on a stand for a bit. The idea is to keep the inside of the pins oiled and not the outside. I've been doing this for several years and my drive trains stay clean, and do not wear out prematurely from grit. And to check before riding, just run a finger under the chain. If it leaves even the faintest grease mark it's good. Anal as Hell, but worth it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have prolink, but I like my dumonde tech better (not oil or wax based, but polymer, as in plastic, also comes in a nice flammable carrier fluid, which could be helpful for starting fires in the wilderness).

WD-40 bike lube is proof that if you keep screwing up, someone will eventually reward you.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
The smell is pleasant, not the cleanest but not bad. For me a 2nd or 3rd place finisher. I would like to try plastic fantastic dumonde tech but haven't yet.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The smell is pleasant, not the cleanest but not bad. For me a 2nd or 3rd place finisher. I would like to try plastic fantastic dumonde tech but haven't yet.
I only use the "lite" version, the original stuff seems to attract more dirt.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That goo is literally the only lube I've ever put on my bike and then thought 5 minutes later pedaling away while shifting "hey this is good lube!"

apply indoors, windows closed

Definitely best with no ventilation. As we all know plastic pretty much dissolves in water so it's certainly not the gnarliest solvent ever made to suspend that stuff.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I've been using chainL oil for several years now. Still have over half the bottle. It's messy as hell but my chain purrs along while everybody else either carries a bottle of lube in their car or sounds like a tank pedaling thru the woods.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I have used primarily Rock-n-Roll Lube for the past several years with good success. If some was given to me I would try it, but as of right now I have no reason to make a switch.

-Brett