Quantcast

Anyone up and know something about plumbing?

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I was just taking the trash out a few minutes ago and noticed that the sewer cleanout is leaking. There have been no problems at all inside the house. But obviously this is concerning.

Is it worth trying to rent a snake and running it through there? Or should I just call the pros?

I'm pretty capable around the house. However, we've already got some guests for Christmas, others arriving tomorrow evening, at least half a day of work, and a whole bunch cooking to do.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Septic or sewer? Either way you are probably screwed. It has probably clogged, collapsed or full if you have a septic. Snaking it yourself cannot hurt and you can hope it is just a clog. Either way with the extra bladders and colons in the house for the holidays get used things are going to get a little stinky.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
if the water flowing up and out of it, it sound like a down stream sewer back up. Have you had a lot of rain or freezing temps. another question is where is the cleanout located. at my place its out in the front yard by the street, my old house had it under the front wood deck, the first place I owned it was in the crawl space under the house> that would bug me it that leaked.

is the cap cracked? because even with a back up nothing should leak out, back flow into the house yes.

Third: sewer or septic ? septic means the tank is full and the leach field is not doing its thing, sewer is a plugged pipe or the city system is overwhelmed and backflowing. Me> pay the $98 and let someone else deal with the Poo

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Yes, I was assuming there's some sort of blockage downstream of us. If it was full prior to the cleanout I would expect a mess in the house.

We're in town and on sewer. There have been some freezing temps recently, but nothing bad, and nothing out of the norm for Boulder.

We bought the house about a year and a half ago, and the line out to the street was replaced within the year before we bought it (or so we were told). The cleanout is roughly four feet from the foundation and is surrounded by dirt and gravel.

The first place I talked to said $385. This seems excessive unless sexual services being delivered while they clean it.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Yes, I was assuming there's some sort of blockage downstream of us. If it was full prior to the cleanout I would expect a mess in the house.

We're in town and on sewer. There have been some freezing temps recently, but nothing bad, and nothing out of the norm for Boulder.

We bought the house about a year and a half ago, and the line out to the street was replaced within the year before we bought it (or so we were told). The cleanout is roughly four feet from the foundation and is surrounded by dirt and gravel.

The first place I talked to said $385. This seems excessive unless sexual services being delivered while they clean it.
Ever tried removing a stubborn clean out plug? Ever had to deal with the evil that lurks within?

You'll consider paying them double after DIY just one time.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Ever tried removing a stubborn clean out plug? Ever had to deal with the evil that lurks within?

No and no. However, I found a cheaper place and they're working on it now. It may not be necessary to have it done tonight, but it's the same price as tomorrow, and thinking about the potential for damage makes me want to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Last edited:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Watch them open up the cleanout and do their work, then a coue times a year put a garden hose running wide open as far as it will push into the pipe and let run to avoid this in the future

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
We still have some clay pipe in the run from the house to the street so roots get in occasionally...a flush at night with a box of epsom salt kills those guys. It is really a simple job to run a snake esp the motorized ones that you can rent.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
That's good to know about the epsom salt. The pulled out some tree roots so I'll make that part of out regular maintenance. Does one flush get it out into the line, or does it take two?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

i pay good money not to deal with sh!t.