Quantcast

Anyone upgrade to iOS 5 yet?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
How do you like it? I am in the process of downloading it which is taking forever, but I am excited to try it out. Obviously I won't get the full effect as I am only using a 3Gs, but the text service and notification system alone is what I am looking forward to.

What say you?

Of course this came out after Jobs died as his one last fvck you to cancer and modern medicine, that is the only reason.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my DL early this afternoon only took a few minutes. backing everything up and updating took the longest.

so far its pretty nice on my iphone 4. the camera button on the lock screen and shutter on the volume button is a very welcome addition as is the new notifications which thankfully doesnt stop you from doing what ever you were previously doing. those were the three biggest things i was waiting for.
im hoping Weatherbug has a widget for the notification screen since the "stock" Yahoo based one stinks. FB's app is also a lot nicer then it previously was too

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I forgot all about the camera functions.

4 hours to download. The only thing that I have had take more than a few minutes in the new place.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
wifi synching not working for me... plugged into the wall, checked the option in iTunes, turned it on on the iPhone....

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Remember that it is the first update of iOS5. It will have problems like every other one did, i.e. 4,3,2, etc. Wait 6-8 weeks and the new 5.1 will be out.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
my DL early this afternoon only took a few minutes. backing everything up and updating took the longest.

so far its pretty nice on my iphone 4. the camera button on the lock screen and shutter on the volume button is a very welcome addition as is the new notifications which thankfully doesnt stop you from doing what ever you were previously doing. those were the three biggest things i was waiting for.
im hoping Weatherbug has a widget for the notification screen since the "stock" Yahoo based one stinks. FB's app is also a lot nicer then it previously was too
This.

I'd like the camera on lock screen to be standard, rather than having to double click home button to get it, but it's cool.

I haven't left the house yet since updating, but when i do, I'll be checking the new Reminders app as I leave my house.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Im gonna try it in a bit but itunes keeps telling me theres apps that i need to sync with my computer.
Far as i know, it allways syncs new apps and the box is checked, but it also says ill lose the apps if i dont sync them...
I dont even know how to synch from my phone to my itunes, shouldnt it do that every time i sync??

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
wifi synching not working for me... plugged into the wall, checked the option in iTunes, turned it on on the iPhone....
As far as i understand you have to tell it to sync over wifi. It only automatically syncs to the cloud (contacts etc). To make it sync with itunes you have to tell it to, at least the first time. I had to resolve a bunch of conflicts etc, and then it has been syncing as it did with mobile me.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Seems fine for me - not too much different, considering I had all the important stuff (mail, cal, contacts) synced to my google account anyways.

Snappy enough on my 4 - nothing like the other upgrade was with my 3g.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Somehow the apps that I recently downloaded on the phone itself wouldnt sync with itunes and were gone.
All the old ones were saved.
After redownloading them I was happy to find the old data from the apps was saved so Ive still got my cyclemeter info for example.

Not too bad, so far I think iOS 5 is definitly an improvement.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
The wi-fi sync is pretty cool....however (unless I'm doing something wrong....which is quite possible), iTunes keeps opening. It syncs, I shut itunes down....a little while later it re-opens on its own and syncs again.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
cue sydasti....:rolleyes:

its no surprise its going to bog down when everyone tries to update their devices, but youd think apple would have learned their lesson