Quantcast

anyone use an adze

Aug 6, 2007
amish country
anyone ever use a adze (high quality) to top logs for skinnies? i know a chainsaw is probably the easiest way, but i was thinking about getting a good Adze to aid in said topping of logs. ie., when i am doing work by myself.

(i am sure that an adze is just as dangerous as a chainsaw blah blah blah. what could go wrong?)

Aug 6, 2007
amish country
Lol, famous last words....:weee:

yeah i know.

fwiw, my dad said he used one on the railroad to adjust railroad ties. He said that to use one without steel toed boots and heavy pads is suicide. I guess the mechanics of using one properly is still pretty dangerous. I think a sledge and a wedge would be a safer alternative to an adze, if a chainsaw is unavailable.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I used an adze to make a new hiking trail when I volunteered for the parks department...its quite the tool. I would rather have a chainsaw though if I was going to be strictly attacking wood...however, if rocks are in the mix...get an adze.

Aug 6, 2007
amish country
I used an adze to make a new hiking trail when I volunteered for the parks department...its quite the tool. I would rather have a chainsaw though if I was going to be strictly attacking wood...however, if rocks are in the mix...get an adze.

a trail building adze and a wood working adze are a little different. the wood adze is used like an ax and should be razor sharp they were used to shape timbers before the band saw and chainsaw came into use. your adze/mattock is the dirt digger, it is a good grubbing tool but too dull for topping logs.