Quantcast

Anyone use an Ochain thingy?

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I think I'm going to just get the N version. I don't see myself messing with the adjustment dial on the R version...ever.

I currently have the original O-chain on the DH bike that came with all the different degree spacers/elastomers. I'll move that one to the trail bike and convert it to 6 degrees. I'll order the N version which comes with 9 degree pre-set and I'll throw that onto the DH bike and leave it as-is.

I hope this plan is kidwoo-approved.
Definitely Kidwoo approved. Shame he cant come on and sing its virtues like only he always did. He was a sucker for marketing

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Where is he? Was O-Chain the final straw that broke @kidwoo?

We've probably all had the occasional disagreement over the years but this place isn't the same without him. I miss the guy.

HeadMaster

Chimp
Feb 8, 2019
So after talking with bullcrew a bit I bought a couple o chains (r version) and put one on my fury and one on the Capra. Did some back to back testing over 8 days at Angelfire last two weeks. Gt has 100 something point hex hub and capra has 36t dt knockoff. I went back-and-forth between totally locked out and 12° of rotation.

My conclusion is, it is definitely noticeable on high-speed medium size chunk. Not blow your mind but def better. Kind of feels like a click or two of high-speed compression has been removed at points but still has support. Worth the weight and complexity at Angelfire for sure. Not sure for smooth flow like Winterpark. Also didn’t notice the slack in pedaling with the drivetrain as much as I expected to. YMMV.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Exactly. It's clutch tension and the chain flapping back and forth. Any time the chain is moving like that, it's mass moving in a direction and it carries momentum, if that is moving opposite to the direction you want the suspension to move, it's going to have a big effect. These are why the bike feels so much difference without a chain.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
He also shows the vid of his bike with the coil on the pinkbike drop-test...you can see how easily it bottoms with the falling rate :)