Quantcast

Anyone use an Ochain thingy?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
what makes this super awesome is the ability to stack on top of a suspension seatpost. then put a sprung saddle on top. which, you'd of course pair with rev grips on a fast flex bar on a suspension stem. i should set up a gofundme to finance building the ultimate "suspend all the things" build...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
what makes this super awesome is the ability to stack on top of a suspension seatpost. then put a sprung saddle on top. which, you'd of course pair with rev grips on a fast flex bar on a suspension stem. i should set up a gofundme to finance building the ultimate "suspend all the things" build...

Somewhere in my basement is a new in box Shockster I got to bolt onto a FS bike as a joke (Cannondale Gemini) Perhaps it was actually an investment.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Dude just a few pages back there's a link to a guy on mtbr that's literally doing that.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
At one point weren't there bicycle drivetrains in development with fixed sprocket hubs and the freewheel at the crank/chainring?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Finally got a chance to catch up on the shenanigans in this thread...

I didn't end up getting an Ochain device. I had both my rear shock and fork in for service and tuning so I wanted to get through this last week without spending close to $1000.

Regarding that 'wet turd' pedaling feeling... I don't see that to be a problem for me on a downhill bike. I don't race so I pedal as much as the average dude on a downhill trail. Although if I do pedal, I'll just mash for a few seconds so really only the first pedal stroke will have that dead space. I can live with that. Would I install this on my trail bike (I call it my trail bike even though it's technically an enduro bike)??? Nope, not a chance. I have an I9 Hydra rear hub and I like to take advantage of high points of engagement for these pain in the ass climbing trails here.

I did go riding today with the DH bike and honestly, I didn't feel anything all that weird from the rear end. I think I felt my right foot lift up off the pedal a couple times, but I think it's because my foot wasn't properly placed and my body weight wasn't really centered. When I had the rear wheel locked up, I didn't really think of the suspension... I had bigger issues to deal with since I needed to hammer the rear brake.

In the end, if I can find one cheap somewhere, I may go for it.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
0807232014a.jpg

Climbs fine, no soggy feeling (with 6 degree gummies).
High speed spiky stuff feels smoother and "calmer".

I wrecked my ankle (forward foot) about a month ago, and it will still twinge off of drops and rough landings on other bikes. But nothing with this one.

Slo-mo from Worlds.
Charlie Hatton, Neko and others are on o-chain. Look at the movement (or lack of) and feed back thought their feet.

Praise Rock Jesus, I'm a believer!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
View attachment 198536

Climbs fine, no soggy feeling (with 6 degree gummies).
High speed spiky stuff feels smoother and "calmer".

I wrecked my ankle (forward foot) about a month ago, and it will still twinge off of drops and rough landings on other bikes. But nothing with this one.

Slo-mo from Worlds.
Charlie Hatton, Neko and others are on o-chain. Look at the movement (or lack of) and feed back thought their feet.

Praise Rock Jesus, I'm a believer!
shoossshhh! Its a gimmik

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Even if it did herald magical properties. Very few of us here ride enough DH to actually *need* this shit. Nevermind analyse the shit out if it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ah man, I want to try it so badly but I'd also have to buy a new chainring.

I was up in Whistler on the weekend and I have to admit that I didn't think of my rear end at all. Basically the suspension was doing it's job. I was more focused on what my fork was doing.

Regarding that video, I don't see much of a big difference between those with/without an Ochain device.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
never had an issue with pedalling a FS up a hill. Even before any of us knew about the dreaded aunty's traits. But yeah. makes sense those elastomers would have way moar effect at slow speeds when you're not freewheeling

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
from the company that brought you zero offset stems, the revolutionary design that's now a universal standard, the company that called "long bike" fOrWaRd gEoMeTrY?

well I find that very hard to believe

Mondraker also sounds like a James Bond Villain, so they have that going for them.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Lal as stated emp for the win....haye smoking these fools on the nasty stuff then when it flattens out you can hear em whirring up on your ass....

I'd opt for spike strips To...or arrow cannons to aim for front wheel

I'm going to try one , once BTI has em in stock...curious to see ...

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Wouldn't a low engagement hub generally take care of this on a DH bike?
Anything I have to pedal though I'd much prefer a high engagement hub.