Quantcast

anyone use both Highroller and Nevegal

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
hey i was wondering if any of you have used both of these tires. ive been ridding highrollers for a while now and i love them but i was thinking about expereminting with some new ones and was thinking about the nevegals.

Xclusive

Chimp
Aug 6, 2006
Try some intense 909's or intense intruders. You will never use any other tire again. I use the fro intruders front and rear, and the 909's for hardpack conditions. This year im going to use the new fro lites. You cant go wrong with intense. They grip like no other.

Xclusive

Chimp
Aug 6, 2006
Only the fros, but a 4 ply sidewall is a godsend in hardcore rockgardens, the weight isnt noticable and carry their momentum faR better then lighter tires. Intense has the fro lights this year wich are 2 ply so if you are concerned with wieght get the lites. no comparison for grip.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I'm running a 2.7 Nevegal in the front and a 2.5 Minion DHF in the back for the last 3 weeks of the season here in the wet northeast - so far so good (week 1) at a wet Jiminy Peak today.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
2.3 and 2.5 nevegals are great tires. The 2.5 is a little big for my liking but is really good for mt snow or really fast stuff. I cut the 2.5's and they were even better, but I just got a fresh 2.3, didnt do the full cut but I like the size a whole lot more. It measures a little bigger then a 2.5.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
High Rollers are too inconsistent for me. They hold, hold, then loose it.

I haven't ridden Nevegals for a while but they may be my next tire.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm a die hard Nevegal user, and last time I raced, I tore a hole in my rear Nevegal. stuck on a high roller 5 minutes before the race, and ended up breaking my wrist :think:

The Nevegals are the way to go, IMHO

geetarhero

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Scotland
Have to agree with Xclusive on the intense intuders. I've recently changed from High Rollers 2.7 front and 2.5 rear to 2.5 Intruders. The 4 ply on the back, running about 15-20 psi and the 2 ply up front also 15-20 psi.
I've been very impressed in a rage of conditions. Confidence inspiring grip and pinch protection. Wont go back to high rollers

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
well i dont like intense tires at all, they're way to heavy and i dont think they grip well at all.
the main reason i want to try out the nevegals are because they are lighter then the highrollers. imo the highrollers are the best tire out their but they are a little heavy and if i dont like the nevegals i would go right back to them, not any other tire.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Try some intense 909's or intense intruders. You will never use any other tire again. I use the fro intruders front and rear, and the 909's for hardpack conditions. This year im going to use the new fro lites. You cant go wrong with intense. They grip like no other.
You'll never use any other tire again because you will never be able to get them off the rims again.

High Roller front and minion dhr rear....:happydance: :clapping: :monkeydance:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Nevegal 2.3 and 2.5 tires are close to the same size but the 2.5 knobs are a lot taller than the 2.3. Even though they are both 2 ply DH tires the 2.5 tread is a lot taller.

Both these are newer nevegals. Look at the length of the knobs. The 2.5's are taller.

2.5 on the left-2.3 on the right

2.5 on the left-2.3 on the right

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I ran the Nevegals (2.35 on the rear and a 2.5 front). Also, I think the casing on the 2.35 is smaller than the 2.5 giving it a "shorter" overall height. And I seemed to remember reading that fact here some time ago, too. I just had to replace my rear tire and I went with another 2.5 to try for the next year. I really like the tires.

toby

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I ran a 2.5 Nevegal on the front all last season. Great tire, sticky but still seemed to wear very well. I had a 2.7 before, but sold it cuz it was a way bigger tire than I needed. I reminded me of the 3.0 Nokians...frickin' monsters!

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
Kanters right dude. Good point on the tread depth. Go for the 2.5's if you do switch. I have used both tires. I mostly stick with Nevegals based on their excellent traction. Last month I had a chance to run a Mobster front high roller rear. In loose rocks, where the steepness demands great tires the mobster gave out sideways once or twice. The highroller on the rear was great in the loose stuff. Its hard to say whether they work better than Nev's but they are indeed a nice tire. I am trying to find a 2.5 ust to run on a rear combo dhf minion on the front...

try one, u should be stoked.

then let us know how it went.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have a 2.35 stick-e dual ply nevegal in the back and a 2.5 one in front. I want more traction in the front (and less in the backso I can slide the rear tire) and a 2.35 pedals much better.

I have had them for about 2 months. They grip very well (awsome on rocks), and the wear is really good (even with frequent street riding).

I also have a set of single plys dtc nevegals , 2.1 and 2.35, that I use for smooth DH courses and xc.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
intense tires are heavy but they are sick you can definatley notice the difference when swapping between maxxis especially when you pedal. if I have loot for new tires ill buy maxxis if i dont i bust out the old intense and groan when pedalling
they just need to sell that pattern to maxxis or make thier product lighter

Feb 13, 2006
High Roller is heavier, generally rolls faster, and has burlier sidewalls.

Nevegal is lighter, rolls a bit slower, gets better traction, but has thinner & more flexible sidewalls. Lots of folks try to run low PSI with the Nevegal because they can run low PSI with tires like Maxxis or Intense. But the Kenda sidewall is closer to the sidewall of the old standard Tioga DH, or a Michelin. It's thinner, more flexible. So higher PSI helps if it's rocky, if there are lots of square-edged hits, or if you're prone to pinch-flats.

I find that the Nevegals grip really well at 35-40 psi even though that sounds more like a XC tire pressure.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
that's why I originally switched from Maxxis to Kenda...I feel that Maxxis tires don't give you a lot of warning before they break lose...D
Yeah, I liked 'em at first but when I started pushing it they couldn't keep up.

I'm on Specialized Chunders now, I really like 'em.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I have heard a lot of people like the new Specialized Chunders.
I've seen positive feed back as well, but when you can get Kendas for cheaper than $35 it is just sooo hard to leave a great tire IMO. I don't know if you can find good deals on the big S tires as well due to their price protection policy...which is a shame because I would give them a shot if I didn't have to pay full retail :greedy:

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
the chunders were disigned by the same guy who disigned the highrollers and they are almost identical. the chunders however weigh a lot more then the highrollers and are a much harder compound but now they're making the chunder s-works which i havent weighed yet and those you can get a softer compound

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
the chunders were disigned by the same guy who disigned the highrollers and they are almost identical. the chunders however weigh a lot more then the highrollers and are a much harder compound but now they're making the chunder s-works which i havent weighed yet and those you can get a softer compound
No, they're not really identical. Similar, sure, a bit, but they sure ride a hell of a lot different too, and the Chunders last longer.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
i ride highroller 3c 2.5 front and rear, love em, but i havent tried nevegals before, so i gotta get more tire experience before i give advice, but so far, i love them. as for pinchflats, i hate everybody who crys about flats, all you gotta do it powder the inside like a baby ass and ur good ;)

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Gotta run 2 ply, gotta run baby powder, gotta run air over 30psi
Agreed, I run slime in my tubes as well. I know it adds weight, but it sure saves a lot of hassle of getting pinch flats. I've been running Slime in xc tubes for 4 years to offset the weight, and haven't had 1 pinch flat since. I forgot to put one in my new rig at Dville this summer, and of course I got 2 flats...damn never again.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I run Specialized thin tubes and average ONE flat a year. I ride all over BC; Fernie, Silver Star, Panorama, Sun Peaks, Whislter, and the NS. I have never really had a problem with flats. I think baby powder really does work and I use a lot. Maxxis tires seem to prevent pinch flats a lot better than the Nevegal. If you keep the tire pressure above 30psi you shouldnt have problems.

Tires are cheap. Replace them. Often.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
intense tires are heavy but they are sick you can definatley notice the difference when swapping between maxxis especially when you pedal. if I have loot for new tires ill buy maxxis if i dont i bust out the old intense and groan when pedalling
they just need to sell that pattern to maxxis or make thier product lighter
They already have done this, the lighter 2ply Intense DH tires in most models have been available for the past two months or so !