Quantcast

Anyone use disc brakes for CX?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know a lot of the bikes in my lbs are all canti, but then on my way to work I saw a Kona Dew parked out front and thought it looked sweet as a commuter.

Does anyone run discs for racing? You may have seen my ghetto half-breed post of the bike I might be building, but I just had to ask.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is very common now. While the absolute lightest set up is still V-brakes (which is why all XC race forks have disc and canti mounts), discs work better in wet conditions and brake better in general.

Even if racers could save some grams in the right conditions, they prefer the better stopping power and one setup for all races.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's what I thought, but the guy at the shop looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about discs. He must just be more hard core.

I am seriously considering a race or two after the DH season. He was saying the races in Oregon are some of the best and the races are a blast to attend.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I hate shop employees whose opinions are based on what they rode... 10 years ago.

The Women's XC race at Snowshoe (notice zero rim brakes in the front):

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm talking Cyclocross though. All the production bikes I've seen are canti. I know people run disc in XC, have for a while now.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
well arent discs banned for CX by the UCI or whatever?
not saying that youre gonna be racing, or that all CX users race, but most bikes will probly come with cantis cause its still the standard for racing CX...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Just remember that UCI(USCF in 2007?) prohibit the use of disc brakes for CX. If the local races aren't sactioned by them, then you are good to go.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dirty said:
well arent discs banned for CX by the UCI or whatever?
not saying that youre gonna be racing, or that all CX users race, but most bikes will probly come with cantis cause its still the standard for racing CX...
That's why I was asking, because all of the bikes I have seen lack tabs even. The guy at the shop just said that you didn't need to stop while racing, it was more about controlled chaos.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Whoops.

Cyclocross on the UCI level is illegal to run disc brakes. On that note, Avid does make a pair specifically for road bikes (I assume the pull is different).

The UCI ruling might change the rule in the future, and "The rule, however, is not in effect for USCF cyclo-cross events that are not on the international calendar, including other non-UCI categories run in conjunction with a UCI-sanctioned event." http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/5149.0.html

In other words, don't race in the Nationals.

CX bikes are common for commuters and wet weather bikes. Cannondale and Redline both make models with disc mounts, as many of the steel builders. One negative to the disc brake is the lack of carbon forks which accept them.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
There was a thread about this a while ago that went on for some time about the UCI rules and reasons to use discs.

Personally, I think discs on a CX bike are not a good idea. I have no problem with someone using them in a race, but I don't really see the point. I run discs for XC and DH but my CX bike (which I ride on road, dirt roads and full on trails all year long) has cantis. Discs are heavier, more complex and restrict what you can run. Cantis provide plenty of stopping power given the weight of the bikes, the speeds involved and the handling and braking limits that a normal CX bike with normal tires binds you to.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
JRogers said:
There was a thread about this a while ago that went on for some time about the UCI rules and reasons to use discs.

Personally, I think discs on a CX bike are not a good idea. I have no problem with someone using them in a race, but I don't really see the point. I run discs for XC and DH but my CX bike (which I ride on road, dirt roads and full on trails all year long) has cantis. Discs are heavier, more complex and restrict what you can run. Cantis provide plenty of stopping power given the weight of the bikes, the speeds involved and the handling and braking limits that a normal CX bike with normal tires binds you to.
There is one huge advantage to disc brakes, which is why I think you will see them on road bikes in the future:

As carbon fiber rims become more and more popular, the biggest negative is the braking. While sidewall surfaces and pads have improved, they pale in comparison to disc brakes. The biggest problem with carbon rims is heat dissapation. No matter how good the braking, carbon will not dissapate heat like metal. So ask a guy like Beloki about keeping the tubulars glued on.

I think you will see a road bike disc brake in the TdF within 5 years. If this happens, you will see it in CX.

J

JRB

Redline makes a Conquest Pro Disc R, or something like that. I learned yesterday that Formula makes hubs, as does Hope with 130mm spacing. I know you can get FSA RD 460 wheels, and Velomax makes some. I plan to get a 32 hole hub tonight and try to respace to 130mm to put discs on mine. I will not race, so it's not an issue.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I saw the shop across the street from my house had an '05 Dew Deluxe for $499. If it was more my size, I would snatch it up for sure.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
loco said:
Redline makes a Conquest Pro Disc R, or something like that. I learned yesterday that Formula makes hubs, as does Hope with 130mm spacing. I know you can get FSA RD 460 wheels, and Velomax makes some. I plan to get a 32 hole hub tonight and try to respace to 130mm to put discs on mine. I will not race, so it's not an issue.
As long as your frame isn't alum. it will be eisier to respace your frame.