Quantcast

Anyone used a Black Rapid Camera Strap?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Lots of discussion about them on some forums. Some like 'em, some do not. I'm a little hazy on the details but there were at least two incidents I recall where some part of the mounting mechanism broke and dropped the camera.

It may just be me, but attaching an expensive camera and lens to go swinging around by a screw into the tripod mount scares the hell out of me. I really like the idea of it since I generally carry my camera across my shoulder like that but I can't get past the tripod mounting - probably stupid of me, just seems like a lot could go wrong.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I routinely carry 2 bodies, especially shooting field sports or hockey. I never had issues with 2 normal straps + a monopod for big glass? I don't understand why you need a sketchy strap?

Takes a bit of getting used to, and you have to set up your straps to the proper lengths (ie: not the same) but that's it?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i totally recommend the optech classic strap...the neoprene has a nice amount of stretch to it and makes carrying the cameras much easier.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i totally recommend the optech classic strap...the neoprene has a nice amount of stretch to it and makes carrying the cameras much easier.
I have one of those and found it super annoying actually. A 1dmk2 with 70-200 and anything bigger bounced like mad, it was annoying as hell to me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm still using the stock Nikon strap. I fondle the straps every time I go into the local camera shop but haven't found the stock strap objectionable enough to replace yet :p

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I don't use a strap at all, I find them annoying. I am considering a leather hand grip, I like those.

The Nikon ones are pricey though.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have one of those canon wrist strap things. It was good, but my hand is so small it wasn't stable with a mk2 on it unfortunately. Now i only have plain old shoulder straps. Canon gave me a pair of mk3 straps, which are actually pretty nice for OEM straps.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I don't use a strap at all, I find them annoying. I am considering a leather hand grip, I like those.
i need straps for two critical reasons:

1 - i have more than one camera on me
2 - it helps me change lenses pretty easily w/o any other aid.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
i need straps for two critical reasons:

1 - i have more than one camera on me
2 - it helps me change lenses pretty easily w/o any other aid.

If I had more than one body to work with I'd have at least one strapped.

:think:

That sounded dirty.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC

The Nikon ones are pricey though.

I've considered the Canon version of this, but the model I like only works with gripped bodies (and I haven't bought a grip yet). If you get one, let me know how you like it.

Transcend - Will the one that you don't use work on an XSi? :brows: