Quantcast

Anyone used Park Tool TL-10 or similar?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Hey, just wondering if anyone had used the Park Shop Tyre Tool (TL-10) or similar? I ask because I recently got a Nukeproof rear wheel for my DH bike which uses a Sun MTX 29 rim. I'm used to Mavic 721/729 and I can get a High Roller on and off them no problem. Call me a wuss if you like, but it took me over an hour and two burst tubes to get a used High Roller on the MTX, and that was with getting the bead into the centre of the rim and using washing up liquid as a lube. I don't want to repeat that nightmare, especially if I'm pushed for time at a race weekend, so I saw this bad boy and thought it might be a good investment:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17512

Has anyone used something like this and found it helps? My concern is that it's really just something to help shop mechanics get the job done quicker on standard MTB wheels, rather than to help the home mech get on b*stard DH tyre/rim combos. Also, although the video says it fits any axle, I'm concerned it won't be made with a 20mm front, 150/12mm rear set up in mind.

Any replies much appreciated.

Cordsport

Chimp
Feb 15, 2009
Don't buy, they are rubbish.

There is something wrong with your technique, I can get Maxxis DH tyre on and off (XC tubes) MTX29's without levers. What are you doing? Seriuosly that is one of the easiest on/off combo's going??

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
That particular park tool is a joke. its an over sized single tire lever. it increases the leverage to pull the tire over the lip of the rim, but its still plastic and breaks as easily as any other tire lever. The part that really sucks is that once you get the bead over the lip if the tire, you rbasically using a single tire lever to slide the rest of the bead off....meaning youll need to lube it almost every time.....

Check your technique, If all is good, check your wheel.... make sure there isnt three layers of rim tape. Other than that, it should be a pretty easy wheel to get tires off of.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Cheers for letting me know that the tool is cr*p, saves me a few quid. I don't know what I'm doing with this rim then! I put the rim tape on myself so I know it's only a single layer. I can get Maxxis on a Mavic without levers as well, but honestly my arms were about to give up by the end. Just before I got it on there was 6-7" of bead left and it was clamped down mega tight on the outside of the rim. I had to brace the wheel against the wall and just give it everything I had. I'm going to have to change the tyre soon anyway so I suppose I'll maybe have to look at my technique, although I do all the recommended stuff. :confused:

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
I had similar fun with a MTX31 rim recently. Coming off Mavic EX721's which are extremely easy to get DH tires on/off, the MTX31's definitely were tough. Took me some swearing but I eventually got the tire on without soapy water. I bought DH tire levers (metal ones) but havent tried them yet, that would be a better buy than that park tool.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I had similar fun with a MTX31 rim recently. Coming off Mavic EX721's which are extremely easy to get DH tires on/off, the MTX31's definitely were tough. Took me some swearing but I eventually got the tire on without soapy water. I bought DH tire levers (metal ones) but havent tried them yet, that would be a better buy than that park tool.
Yeah I found it much harder than Mavics, and my 29's aren't even as wide as the 31's. I have metal tyre levers, I was getting so mad with it that I resorted to them twice, and I think they were the main reason behind the two burst tubes... :shocked:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well with a single layer of tape, all I can suggest is make sure the bead of the tire is falling into the drop of the wheel, and not resting up were it seats while your trying to pull it over.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
IF you don't care about nicking up your rims, just get some metal tire levers, like the intense ones. Or that giant pedros one with the rubber handle. I've used both of those in the past, neither cause any problems (and I run HR on MTX's)

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I had a bitch of a time getting a new set of maxxis tires on my atomlab dhr's the first time. Then after that is was a breeze every time. My muddy marys gave me a tough time with my single tracks on my dh bike last week too. But when I took them off yesterday I didnt have a problem.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
IF you don't care about nicking up your rims, just get some metal tire levers, like the intense ones. Or that giant pedros one with the rubber handle. I've used both of those in the past, neither cause any problems (and I run HR on MTX's)
Agreed. I have a pair of Park metal levers and have used the Intense ones also. If you can't get a tire off with one of those, then something is seriously wrong. Never caused me any issues no matter how much force I put into it.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Mark - next time you see me ask me to show you how to fit/remove tyres - you won't ever need a lever again. seriously.

You riding anywhere this weekend? think I'm free all weekend.

just re-read your post (only skimmed over it first time)

did you make sure there was no air in the tube? (roll it up to get it all out)
did you make sure the valve wasn't seated? - if the valves seated in the rim it won'tallow the tyre bead to sit as low/centrally in the rim channel.
push the bead into the channel at the valve and work your fingers then thumb it in all the way until they meet again at the opposite point and the bead should be baggy enough to pop over relitively easily.

when removing them, squeeze as much air out of the tube as you physically can use 2 hands, your shin and the ground to fold the tyre over while holding down the valve release (squishing as much air out as possible, if there's a wall/tree etc. use that too), unseat valve, and do the same with the bead as above.

Last edited:

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Mark - next time you see me ask me to show you how to fit/remove tyres - you won't ever need a lever again. seriously.

You riding anywhere this weekend? think I'm free all weekend.

just re-read your post (only skimmed over it first time)

did you make sure there was no air in the tube? (roll it up to get it all out)
did you make sure the valve wasn't seated? - if the valves seated in the rim it won'tallow the tyre bead to sit as low/centrally in the rim channel.
push the bead into the channel at the valve and work your fingers then thumb it in all the way until they meet again at the opposite point and the bead should be baggy enough to pop over relitively easily.

when removing them, squeeze as much air out of the tube as you physically can use 2 hands, your shin and the ground to fold the tyre over while holding down the valve release (squishing as much air out as possible, if there's a wall/tree etc. use that too), unseat valve, and do the same with the bead as above.
Hi Gary, there wasn't any air in the tube, but I had pulled the valve stem right the way through, so I guess that will make a difference. Do you mean that you don't put the valve through the hole at all, or just the tip of it but don't pull it through fully? I think this probably is a technique thing, but it's definitely harder than getting them on Mavics. Getting them off is fine though with steel levers.

Regarding riding this weekend, should be riding both days. Think Saturday is some uplift and timing pole action at Rait (bout 20mins past Perth). Sunday will be Aberfoyle, if you're interested just give me or Andy a shout.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Aye, you still want the valve poking through the hole just not right through.

could well be up for Rait (will be in touch). :)

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
SOMA steel core levers :thumb:
Slide like plastic, but they don't flex or snap. If you can get a hold of them you won't need to buy any new levers for a long time.

Attachments

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Wasn't it sun that had an issue with making their rim outside diameters too big? I thought it was the older MTX, but has since been improved. Does anyone know for sure?
Nice description of how to install a tough tire/rim combo Gary!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
SOMA steel core levers :thumb:
Slide like plastic, but they don't flex or snap. If you can get a hold of them you won't need to buy any new levers for a long time.
Those things are absolute garbage. I bent one in 10 seconds and broke another in 30. Just buy the intense ones and be done with it.

Also, I've had people tell me the metal ones mess up your rims by causing "burrs" or some bullsh*t. I've got one 4 year old MTX rim I've been raping with my rusty intense levers and never had an issues. Anyone differ?

Also, I love people who tell me they can get any tire on any rim no problem. I'll be them 20 dollars they can't get a brand new comp32 on an intense mag 30 rim. At least in any reasonable time frame.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Hi Gary, there wasn't any air in the tube, but I had pulled the valve stem right the way through, so I guess that will make a difference. Do you mean that you don't put the valve through the hole at all, or just the tip of it but don't pull it through fully? I think this probably is a technique thing, but it's definitely harder than getting them on Mavics. Getting them off is fine though with steel levers.

Regarding riding this weekend, should be riding both days. Think Saturday is some uplift and timing pole action at Rait (bout 20mins past Perth). Sunday will be Aberfoyle, if you're interested just give me or Andy a shout.
Personally, the valve area it the very last part I pull the tire over and into the wheel. That way thre is no way the valve will interfere with teh tire dropping into the chanel on the wheel.

About the only tire I cannot mount/dismount by hand, is the older Intense 4ply's...But then again, you can damn near run them without air

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
DirtyMike said:
Personally, the valve area it the very last part I pull the tire over and into the wheel. That way thre is no way the valve will interfere with teh tire dropping into the chanel on the wheel.
Yeah, that way works well too, I just find it easier the way I described.

Also, I love people who tell me they can get any tire on any rim no problem. I'll be them 20 dollars they can't get a brand new comp32 on an intense mag 30 rim. At least in any reasonable time frame.
those rims can be an absolute bastard! I had doubletracks (same rim) and remember fighting with it in a wet car park for far too long (5-10mins) to change a tube, afterwards I changed the rim tape to 2 wraps of thin electrical insulating tape and could then do them no problem.
my first set of Michelin Mud 1s are were tightest bead I ever came across. they were silly tight even on d321s

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had a buddy who got a set of intense mag 30s with intense tires on them, and I swear we spent an hour getting one tire bead off, then quit. Absolute insanity.

I highly recommend the pedro's tire levers. They are a godsend and I've only broken one, mostly due to my hamfistedness. They are easy to find and cheap. I now have three and I lub'em.

Gus from Arrow once PMed me when I was having trouble with my rims. He recommended pinching the beads into the center channel, starting from the valve stem, then work your way up. Using this technique, I was able to get the hardest combo on without tire levers...I couldn't believe it. It's a bit tricky and time consuming, but it does work. I think that was an arrow slow react on DHX rim...sucker was tight.